Tres Leche Cake

Decorating By kingte1 Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 3:58am by Stina

kingte1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kingte1 Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 16

My cousin has asked me to make a couple of tres leches cakes for her wedding. I have tried the recipe she sent a couple of times, but I can't get the milk to soak into the cake. The last time I made it I baked two 8" rounds and cut the tops off to level them, and it still wouldn't soak through. Should I be putting the milk on while the cake is still hot? Is there a better recipe out there? I love the cake- it's really moist- I just can't get it to do what it is supposed to do!

15 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 16

I got the recipe from the Virginia Slims dessert book. I had never heard of it before looking through this book. Then we had a Hispanic party at work and they asked me if I could make it. They didn't give me enough time though, so I couldn't do it. I never even tasted the one they ordered.

When I got some extra time I made it. The recipe says poke holes in it as soon as you take it out of the oven. You prepare the milks before the cake is done so it can be ready. Then you pour it on the hot cake.

I also made it in chocolate and added some choc Cask & Cream. I didn't really know what it should taste like. But they all said it was great. I thought is was too wet. They said it's supposed to be that way.

mxdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxdiva Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 16

yes you should pour the milks while is hot and poke your cake with a fork quite a bit (before yoou pour the milk) that will help let me know how it works or if you have the recipe so I can see if is different from the one I have

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 16

I made it once and yes it was very wet. So i cut back on the liquids a little and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Everyone loved it. I personally like the taste but not the mush.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 16

i used the recipe onhere that used a box mix plus more ingredients...i think its the recipe from chrisj?? but it came out really good i had a lot of compliments on that cake

Ortiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ortiz Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 16

Here is the recipe that I use for Tres Leches

1 box yellow cake mix (I only use Butter Yellow by Betty Crocker) follow all instructions on box, for the butter (I only use butter flavor from Crisco).

1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup of whole milk or evaporated milk
1 cup of heavy whipping cream

1 tub of Cool-Whip (for topping)

I have never tried using two 8-inch or to decorate this type of cake, I think that because of the milk combo with the weight of buttercream and decorations would be a disaster. I only use a 13x9 baking pan. While the cake is baking mix your three milk combo with a blender (whisk attachment) and let it sit. I pour the three milks while the cake is hot, and I used the end of a wooden or plastic big spoon. If your cake has separated in the corners while baking and the milk fills the corner, dump it out and re-pour it in. At this point I let it sit out for about an hour or so then refrigerate. I usually put the cool-whip top a few hours before serving.

One more tip after your cake has sat for an hour or so with the milk to add a different flair add a can of strawberry filling or caramel or what ever you likethe strawberry has been a huge hit for me. You can also do it with butter chocolate cake mix if you want to get really into doing something different.

Good Luck!!!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 16

i made a 8 in soaked it overnight in the fridge then i frosted it with frostin pride and topped with glazed strawberries

Godiva711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva711 Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 16

The way we make it at our mexican bakery is we use a heavy type of cake, almost like a pound cake (so that it gets moist but not soggy) also the cake is made with cheese, to make the finished product more creamy, versus wet. We cut the tops* off and brush the milk mixture on, let it soak in and do it again. for each layer of a 10" round you should use about 2-3 cups milk mix. Then fill the cake, assmble and do it again on the top layer. We fill our cakes with whipped cream and custard. More that two layers is not recommended.
Milk mix it
1 part whole milk
1 part condensed milk
1 part evaporated milk
Cinnamon or whatever spice you like
you could also do it with rum or kahlua

*cut off tops are used to make the crusts for out cheesecakes icon_smile.gif

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 16

how would this recipe hold up for a tier wedding cake??
I was also asked by a friend to do this recipe but I told them i didnt feel comfortable doing this because i was afraid it would hold up.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 16

I make this cake all the time - I have the recipe at home if you want it (Yes, I am PRETENDING to work right now... heheh!! icon_lol.gif )
I poke lots and lots of holes in it, but I dont bother doing the milks while its hot. I mix them up (a can of condensed, a can of evaporated & a pint of half & half) and rather than POUR the milk on to the cake, I soak it with a pastry brush. Its a lot more time consuming, but it works a lot better for me to do it this way. When I first started making this cake, I poured and it just sort of... I dont know... DROWN the cake. Then it was soggy and icky looking. By adding just a teeny bit at a time, it soaks it up more evenly. It still doesn't usually take ALL the milk though... As for wedding cake - I dont know if I'd stack it, but maybe with the separator plates it would be fine? HTH thumbs_up.gif

Godiva711 Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 16

Because it is a dense cake, it would do ok as a wedding cake, HOWEVER, it should be kept refrigerated as mush as possible before display. Refrigerating the cake will thicken the milk and make it more like a syrup. The milk will leak out the bottom a bit, so make sure the drum is it on is waxed or water proof so it doesn't get flimsy and that it is at least 1.5 inches larger than the cake. If we stack these we usually do the floating pillar thing. Good luck!

kingte1 Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:52am
post #12 of 16

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Here is the recipe I've been using. This won't be serving as the primary wedding display cake, just additional sheet cakes, but I will be stacking it with strawberry mousse as the filling and the cake will probably be served from those foil pans from the grocery since it's really not feasible to have it on a traditional display. I will also be using a whipped cream topping instead of meringue.

For the Batter:
5/8 cup butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
8 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
6 egg whites

For the Milks:
2 cups evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
3 1/2 cups table cream
6 egg yolks

For the Meringue:
6 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups light corn syrup
2 limes, juice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 by 8 inch cake pan.

Prepare the batter:
Cream butter. Gradually mix in sugar, and continue beating until mixture is light and creamy. Add egg yolks. Slowly mix in flour, baking powder, and salt. Add vanilla extract, and slowly mix in milk until batter is thick. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter. Pur batter into cake pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on rack.

Prepare the Milks:
Blend evaporated and condensed milks and table cream with egg yolks in a blender or food processor. Bring half this mixture to a boil in a saucepan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in remaining mixture. Pour over cake.

Prepare the Meringue:
In a double boiler, mix egg whites and sugar. Beat until stiff. Slowly add corn syrup, and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add lime juice and continue beating until shiny. Remove from heat. Invert cake on a deep dish or platter.Spread meringue over cake and decorate with strawberries. Serve at room temperature. (Biscocho de Tres Leches) (Three Milks cake)

kingte1 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:00am
post #13 of 16

Agghhh. It's been a long day- I will be layering, not stacking.

Godiva711, I think the cake is dense enough, but do you think using creama instead of whole milk is keeping it from soaking in? I did poke holes in it, but not until it was cool.

ejeepgrl, could you please send me your recipe? I'll PM you my email.

Godiva711 Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:15am
post #14 of 16

I would just try using the whole milk instead of the cream and see how it works out for you. We have never deviated from our method, but we've never had any issues. We don't poke holes either, we use a large pastry brush to paint the liquid on the cake. If you pour it on, you don't give it enough time to absorb the liquid. thumbs_up.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:17am
post #15 of 16

Tres leches cakes is all about the bread you will never get a good Tres Leches cake from a box mix it is a very different cake like a spongue, so it can hold all the milk, is through trial and error on how much milk you should add to know how much milk you should put in there without it being too dry or too wet. I made a couple o them or us at first and measured exactly how much milk I put in each layer of bread. The recipe here on this post is very similar to the one I use. Good Luck to you

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:58am
post #16 of 16

Godiva711, I have a question. Are you able to post the exact recipe you use for your cake. I read where you said it had cheese in it? I am very interested in learning how to make this cake well because in the last week I have had two orders I have had to turn down because I just do not know how to make it. I am getting very good feedback from all of the CCers, but your post has really stuck out for me. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%