How Do I Get Mmf To Hold Shape

Decorating By mik_mcd Updated 22 May 2007 , 4:04pm by jeking

mik_mcd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mik_mcd Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 9

Sorry, I'm sure this is a total newbie question, but that's what I am. How do you make MMF hold a shape without drooping? Is it just a matter of getting it stiff enough?

8 replies
sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 9

on a cake ??? or modeling with it ?

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 9

Can you explain what you're doing so we can help you out? thanks!

mik_mcd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mik_mcd Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 9

I don't have a spacific project I'm working on. I've seen cakes with ribons and things that stand on thier own. Just wondering how that's done.
I read another entry that said use gumpaste in the fondant and you have to let it harden. How do you make it stay in shap while it's hadening?
Sorry, I know these are very general questions I'm just not even sure what to ask.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 9

I am also curious on how the modeled figures hold their shape made with mmf. Is there something added so they dry faster and harder?

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 9

Gum thyracinth is added to harden mmf

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 9

usually suports until its dry enought to take them out ... when you make a bow you can put cottons balls or tissue or something in the "hole" to prop it up untill it dries..

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 9

I made a fondant bow for a cake lastnight. I just stuff the loops with tissue paper until the fondant hardens... Hope that helps

also when making fondant flowers it is helpful to use egg cartons or cuccake liners to hold the shape of flowers.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 9

You certainly can use fondant for modeling, however I haven't had very good luck with using the MMF for this. I either use Satin Ice or make the Toba Garrett recipe (on this site under recipes). Both are great tasting and hold better for modeling flowers, bows, etc. Many people combine gumpaste and fondant...1/2 and 1/2...for making bows, etc. It will harden a bit more and hold it's shape better.

To combat drooping you have to use crushed paper towels...or a similar item...and put it between the layers of the bow until it hardens, then remove. I also use cotton, crushed up wax paper, plastic wraps, wadded up parchment paper, etc. Pretty much anything I have on hand that won't stick while the fondant is drying.

I've tried adding the gumtex but didn't think it did much. The gumpaste/fondant mixture worked better for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%