I Am Really Not Trying To Be Sarcastic.....

Decorating By moniquerei Updated 25 May 2007 , 3:20am by Cloudsmom

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 41

I was looking throught he gallery at the animal cakes for inspiration for a friend's daughter's 1st birthday cake. They are all very beautiful and those who made them are extremely talented. My question is, do you think it freaks kids out to eat a puppy cake or a fishy cake or am I thinking too much about it??? I promise I'm not trying to be funny, it just occured to me that it might be upsetting for kids...what do you think??

40 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 41

Oh I don't think so. They have been biting off the heads of chocolate bunnies and marshmallow chicks for years. icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 41

No, I don't think it bothers them at all because the kids themselves are most always the designers of their own cakes and cookies. If Susie wants a puppy cake for her birthday then chances are that is what she is going to get. If Buddy wants a dinosaur cake he will get that too.
The kids that do not want to eat animal cakes will order Barbie and Car cakes, or something along those lines. There is so much for them to choose from.
ShirleyW is correct when saying kids have been biting off bunny and chick heads for years. Generations now! icon_smile.gif

Lea

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 41

I don't think that would bother any of the kids I've know. I've always taught my daughter and her friends that you have to eat the legs off their animal crackers first so that they can't run away.

Now, eating a "pregnant belly cake" that is what is totally disturbing to me.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

I don't think that would bother any of the kids I've know. I've always taught my daughter and her friends that you have to eat the legs off their animal crackers first so that they can't run away.

icon_eek.gif
My kids do that, and I never knew why....now I do.......LOL!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizshelli

Quote:

icon_eek.gif
My kids do that, and I never knew why....now I do.......LOL!

The kids always understand why to eat the legs off first...It's usually the parents that say "Huh???" when it is explained to them. Most adults eat the head off first icon_eek.gif

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

The kids always understand why to eat the legs off first...It's usually the parents that say "Huh???" when it is explained to them. Most adults eat the head off first

Well, YEAH! Gotta eat the head first to make sure they're dead and don't SUFFER! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 41

no but I made a pizza cake for my sons 10th birthday at a pizza place and 3 boys would not taste it they were sure it would taste like pizza... the others laughed and ate 2 pieces

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Oh I don't think so. They have been biting off the heads of chocolate bunnies and marshmallow chicks for years. icon_biggrin.gif

Shirley...you crack me up!!

I don't think it would bother them...my daughter is 2 and loves eating the fondant and BC animals I make!!

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailsgoodies

Quote:
Quote:

The kids always understand why to eat the legs off first...It's usually the parents that say "Huh???" when it is explained to them. Most adults eat the head off first

Well, YEAH! Gotta eat the head first to make sure they're dead and don't SUFFER! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

LOL! Whenever I bit the ears off my bunnies first, my Grandmother would say "Now he can't hear you coming - quick ... get the feet so he won't run!"
I agree with the other members though, I also have a problem with the belly, people and baby shaped cakes. Mental block with those, can't even try them... rats, garbage cans and the toilet bowl cakes all make me work harder at trying them also - usually have to close my eyes for the first taste. I won't even get started on some of the bachlorette cakes ... too off topic, and this is a family show icon_wink.gif .

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

haa haa haa haa haa haa! LMAO! Ditto!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 41

As long as the cake isn't too realistic, I don't think kids have a problem eating them...they often ask for certain body parts, head, foot/paw etc...

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:03pm
post #13 of 41
Quote:

Now, eating a "pregnant belly cake" that is what is totally disturbing to me.

Me too, those creep me out.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 41

[quote="DecoratingDingbat]Mental block with those, can't even try them... rats, garbage cans and the toilet bowl cakes all make me work harder at trying them also [/quote]

I cannot imagine trying to eat the toilet bowel cakes, they look too realistic when the decorators put those darn tootsie rolls in there! icon_eek.gif

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 41

I agree, I don't think kids mind.

As far as disgusting cakes that would be hard to eat.....

I have not seen one of these in person, but I ran across it on the internet somewhere. First you take a new, clean litter box, put your baked cake in the box and decorate to look like what would normally be in a cat litter box. The one I saw was too realistic, used tootsie rolls, etc. Very disgusting.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #16 of 41

This thread is so funny icon_biggrin.gif I am laughing my butt off, thanks thumbs_up.gif

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #17 of 41

I made an Elmo cake (the Wilton pan) for my daughter's birthday - I can still remember one of the little boys saying, "I want the eye - I want to eat Elmo's eye!"

I don't think kids have a problem at all with eating animal shaped things....especially when cake/sugar is involved!!

bharbor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bharbor Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:03am
post #18 of 41

Even though I think the shoe cakes are beautiful, I have trouble thinking about eating shoes.

I have made a couple of cakes for kids with people on them. They argue over who gets to eat the head.

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:04am
post #19 of 41

I dont think so, but it might freak them out if they eat a marzipan baby though! icon_surprised.gif

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:08am
post #20 of 41

Kids want to bite the heads off everything, they think it's funny. I know I made my mouse cake for adults and they all wanted the head.??? Whatever your stomach can take I guess. I know there was that thread of the lady who did the life size baby and it looked real. OMG I WOULD have a problem cutting that. Not eating it once it was cut, just cutting.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:10am
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoothsBest

I agree, I don't think kids mind.

As far as disgusting cakes that would be hard to eat.....

I have not seen one of these in person, but I ran across it on the internet somewhere. First you take a new, clean litter box, put your baked cake in the box and decorate to look like what would normally be in a cat litter box. The one I saw was too realistic, used tootsie rolls, etc. Very disgusting.

I've made the kitty litter cake a couple of times now and everyone thinks its too gross. A couple of the kids wouldn't even try it. It's actually pretty good tasting. There's a picture of it in my photos.

Barb

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:12am
post #22 of 41

As long as it is not made from a "bleeding" red velvet I would try it also. But....don't like the red coming out. I did a nose bleeding once for my ENT doc. He loved it. I could not eat it though. To much red.... icon_razz.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #23 of 41

OMG Shirley.. you crack me up.. My kids love to eat candy animals.. I made that dinosaur cake for my son's B-day and everyone fought over the head. Of course it was Collin's as it was HIS birthday.. LOL. I have no problem eating any cake.. babies.. bellies.. toilets.. rats.. anatomical hearts.. anatomical.. well I'll just stop there.. cake is cake to me and I'll eat it no matter what it looks like. icon_lol.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:15am
post #24 of 41

As long as it is not made from a "bleeding" red velvet I would try it also. But....don't like the red coming out. I did a nose bleeding once for my ENT doc. He loved it. I could not eat it though. To much red.... icon_razz.gif

I seem to be posting two many times lately. So sorry. icon_cry.gif

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:16am
post #25 of 41

BoothsBest
I make cat poop cookies every year for halloween parties. And put them in a litter pan filled with grape nuts ceral. Its so real looking that the adults gag and won't go near it but you can't keep the kids away! icon_lol.gif
Val

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:16am
post #26 of 41

"The kids always understand why to eat the legs off first...It's usually the parents that say "Huh???" when it is explained to them. Most adults eat the head off first icon_eek.gif "

OMG that is so funny - I do that - don't know WHY!?!?!??! LOL!!!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:17am
post #27 of 41

Boothsbest-Those are called "Kitty Litter Box Cakes" (Original name, huh?) And yes, I've made one. They-re basically crumbled spice cake, I believe pudding and, of course, tootsi rolls in various discusting shapes. (The kids helped with the last part and had soo much fun!) I couldn't even try it...even though I KNEW exactly what was in it. The kids did't have that problem!!

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:23am
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailsgoodies

Quote:
Quote:

No no no...you bite the heads off first so you don't hear them screaming! LOL

Yes - I tell my children that. And no I've never known a child to care that they're eating a puppy, barbie, elmo etc.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:26am
post #29 of 41

My 5 year old daughter was desperate at her party to eat the Hello Kitty topper on her cake. (In my photos.) I did not want to start a riot at the party so I saved it for later. It was the best part of her birthday party watching her devouring Hello Kitty's head that night. Something kind of primeval in that.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:31am
post #30 of 41

I make LOTS of puppy/bunny/horse cakes and the kids clamor for them. They want to eat the heads.

I always ate the heads of my chocolate bunnies first so they couldn't see me eat the rest of them. icon_rolleyes.gif But eating the feet first so they can't run away makes perfect sense!! I may have to change my choc bunny procedure!

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%