Are You Kidding Me!!?

Decorating By lepaz Updated 25 May 2007 , 4:01pm by kelleym

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:28am
post #121 of 139

OMG!!!! I would have charged $120-$150 for that cake!!! It's BEAUTIFUL!!! You can't get mad at her for only paying you $45 as that is the price you agreed to but that she was RESEARCHING if it was WORTH $45???? How could she live with herself with saying that???? and then how could she send a check for $45 and not say something at least like, "this was so gorgeous - worth so much more than what you sold it for!" Or SOMETHING like that - she has some gall!!!

That cake is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Melissa

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:53am
post #122 of 139

Yes, beautiful cake...extremely underpaid! (You should have your comments turned on so we can comment, BTW) I often have that cheap and used feeling as well. It feels good to charge "full price" and have people think it is worth it.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 25 May 2007 , 11:44am
post #123 of 139

OMG - what a beautiful cake. I'm glad she finally paid you for it, but when she was researching she must have found out that it was worth WAY more then what you charged her for - I hope she knows she got a good deal. Definitely, if you are going to make more cakes for her, ask for payment BEFORE you even start to make the cake.

Well done on your castle cake!

Jen

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:02pm
post #124 of 139

Your customer was right, that cake wasn't worth $45. It was worth WAY more!!!! Some people are so cheap - never, ever, make a cake for that excuse of a human being ever again, makes my blood boil!!!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:07pm
post #125 of 139

You see, I don't blame the person for not paying more... I really don't. Would you pay for more if you enjoyed your dinner super duper more than you thought you would? She asked for a cake and was quoted $45... and she paid $45.

I think I "would" take from this customer again, but be sure payment was made in ADVANCE or expected at time of delivery - no money, no cake and I would charge for what it's worth UP FRONT... If she questions the "upped" prices, I would simply say, "Well, you researched the prices of such cakes, you should know I'm charging reasonably." In your face honest!!!

Melissa

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:19pm
post #126 of 139

I agree, I dont blame her for paying your $45 since that is what you asked for. But she should have paid you the money when you gave her the cake. If she was researching because she thought it was worth MORE and gave you MORE than that would be different. At least you got the money and it is over and you learned your lesson!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:27pm
post #127 of 139

The cake nazi was me, and I would march right over there and tell her she only paid for 'cost'. In the future, payment is at the time of delivery/pick up and there is a PRE DETERMINED price (by YOU, not her). No research. icon_confused.gif

SMACK! that is what I think you should do to her. haha Now, where are my zanax pills. Seems it is gonna be one of those days. hahahahaaha icon_twisted.gif

Off to work I go.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:45pm
post #128 of 139

i always make sure i'm paid BEFORE cake is delivered. no money no cakey

if its going to be a couple months before cake is do then they leave 50% and rest due two weeks beforehand.

i have customers say they have a budget that i will try and work with, but if not, i suggest they go to their loca supermarket or walmart

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 25 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #129 of 139

lepaz, I love your cake! Great job and just keep in mind that this whole ordeal has been quite the learning experience.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I keep seeing everyone saying to get the money first... My question is does anyone ever have the problem that people don't want to pay for a product they haven't see yet?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #130 of 139

You did a terrific job on the cake...just remember to charge double next time! icon_biggrin.gif

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:17pm
post #131 of 139

Wow, I have been following this thread, like most=) And after looking at your cake, I am just shocked. Your castle cake is gorgeous! You did an amazing job on it, and don't sell yourself short next time. You deserve more then you got for that cake, by a long shot!! I can't believe you gave her such a beautiful cake, and she pulled that crap on you=( But that is the way some people are. Just take pride in the fact that your cake was amazing! Jen

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:17pm
post #132 of 139

Holy crap!! She had a problem with $45 for that cake?!!

Can you post directions on how you made it, including how it is supported? It's one of the nicest looking castle cakes I have seen. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Great job!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:31pm
post #133 of 139

That cake is beautiful! She should have paid the $45 up front and known what a deal she got! In the future, charge more!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:39pm
post #134 of 139

I finally saw the cake this morning, it's awesome.

Wow Lepaz, your cake is beautiful, I understand you saying you want it back.

After all that I hope she told you or your DH that the cake was beautiful or how much they enjoyed it.
I cannot believe she did not give you a tip. Where in the world did she do the reasearch and why did it take so long. My goodness. I understand that if she was on a budget and could only afford the $45, you made the deal and that is that. But like

For future cakes like "fourangelsmommie" and onceuponacake said no money no cake. Full Payment before delivery. It's your price not theirs and if she does not like the quote, then walmart has to be somewhere down the road.

It's unfortunate that you have to be like that because of a few nasty people.

I remember a tread about a bride cake where the cake decorator would not even unlock the car at delivery until she had the money. She said many people would suddenly find the money in another pocket or would follow her home to get the cake. That one really scared me as one of the one of the main example she gave, they still owed her $800 and the best man was saying she will send you a check, when he had the $$ in his pocket!
I got to find that tread.

So overall events like these are very frustrating for the originator, and they are lessons for us. We cannot trust many people and it's sad for everyone.

Well again congrats on the beautiful cake.

Next time I say no less that a $100 for such a creation.

Good Luck.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:49pm
post #135 of 139

Great to see the cake in question lepaz, you did a wonderful job!

And yes, turn on your comments so that people can comment on your cakes. It's in your "My Forum Info" section.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:19pm
post #136 of 139

Wow.. what a wild ride. Sweetie.. never underestimate yourself. That cake was beautiful. Worth MUCH more than $45.00. You can't be mad at her for paying what you charged, but you can be miffed about her tardiness and for the whole "I'll do RESEARCH to see what it's really worth" comment.. so rude! I'd take an order from her again.. and make sure you charge her FULL price (maybe tack on an annoyance fee since she was so annoying last time). When she gasps at the price.. tell her her cake was given.. yes I said given.. to her at cost because you had never done a cake of that kind before and weren't sure how it would go. Since she did her research she knows the fair market value of a custom cake. I am glad you got your quoted price. I wouldn't have let that cake go for less than 150$.. 50 servings at 3$ a slice is what I would have charged.. fondant modeling for the turrets and all would have been more. ((hugs)) I am glad it's over for you and you got paid.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:15pm
post #137 of 139

Hello All,
Here is the website that was passed on to me by another great CC member: http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx
Also, thanks for letting me know my ?Coupon=CC2015"comments" was off. I turned it on (yay)! I've got to run, will check in again later. fourangelsmommie, did the xanax kick in yet?? You guys are too funny!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 May 2007 , 3:48pm
post #138 of 139

lepaz, I'm glad the drama is finally over. Sorry she didn't pay you more, but at least (very least) you got the agreed-upon fee. I commented under the photo - your castle came out gorgeous. You should be (I think you are and rightfully so) very proud of yourself. You did an amazing job on it.

Thank you also for sharing the tutorial. I very much appreciate it.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:01pm
post #139 of 139

Lepaz -- your castle is beautiful. I would have charged a minimum of $200 for it. It's hard to even calculate how many hours those castle cakes take to make!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%