What Happened To Barbie?!?!

Lounge By Melvira Updated 30 May 2011 , 6:09pm by VannaD

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 60

Admittedly, it's been a loooong time since I've played with Barbie, but last week I went shopping for one to do a cake.

***WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO HER??***

The Barbie I ended up buying is some sort of summer beach Barbie, wearing a bathing suit, etc. but she has small breasts, great big hips and thighs, and the most enormous flat, flipper-like feet I have ever seen on a doll!! And they all seemed to look like this. Is this the toy companies response to people who say Barbie's proportions are unrealistic? SHE'S A DOLL!! She's supposed to be unrealistic! I hate this 'new look'. Does the Classic Barbie still exist or have they completely killed her? I'm sorry, but I loved the doll I grew up with as a kid. I don't care how non-PC her enormous bazoombas were. Not to mention that she is so poorly made that if you so much as touch her blonde hair, it falls out in clumps. And the hairut is REALLY bad. It's like they let some kids come in and cut it before packing it up. Yes... it's a name brand Barbie from a toy store. The real deal. Or at least a bad version thereof. YIKES!

59 replies
Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 60

I know icon_sad.gif I too liked the old style best. My 3 dd's have the old & new styles and can't share the clothes because of Barbies new hips lol.
I totally agree with your statement that she is a doll she is supposed to be unrealistic thumbs_up.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 60

I can't believe they gave Barbie hip implants and a breast reduction.

But I really don't get the clown feet.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 60

Wow, when did this happen? DD has a tub full of 'classic' barbies in her closet. Of course, she's more recently into Bratz, who give immodesty a new meaning...

Melvira Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #5 of 60

I wish I knew when they did that!! And I wish they'd undo it!! I am guessing that those really expensive ones, like the holiday Barbies, which are mainly collector's items, are probably the old fashioned figure, but the new 'hip' Barbies are the 'new' figure. Ugh!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #6 of 60

I bought a Barbie for my dd's birthday cake and I thought It was unusual looking..especially the feet.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:27am
post #7 of 60

lol..sounds like barbie had a baby!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:40am
post #8 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

OMG, I am just laughing and my DH is saying stop it, l'll go into labor. icon_lol.gif

I wonder is there a prego Barbie out there?? Or maybe "revel" is right and they got the post baby Barbie!

Man, I have 2 boys and 1 more on the way, I have not purchase Barbies even as gifts, only ever have to get the clothes. Which are horible if I may add and oh so darn expensive. icon_cry.gif
I wish they made nicer clothes but I guess you have to go with the trends, my nieces all want the gowns that they saw us playing with in the pictures from when we were kids! icon_cool.gif

Oh well.

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:02am
post #9 of 60

well, i'm going to be the odd one out here and say I'm glad- mind you I never played with a Barbie as a kid. Not a single one lol. I'm glad because my three year old niece is totally ENRAPTURED with Barbie- and it's bad enough she's 3 and talking about weddings and handsome husbands and what not lol. She wants 5 husbands in her Cinderella Stagecoach cake for her birthday icon_eek.gif -I watch the Mermaidia and Princess Fairytopia movies with her to find out what she's watching. I'm happier with those movies than with the traditional fairy tales eg Cinderella etc where all the girls are lost and desperate and wishing for true love and look absolutely perfect and then mr prince comes along and makes their lives complete. BLECH! LOL And then the evil ones are pimply and ugly. HELLO! She's THREE. She doesnt have the sense to understand that that is just symbolism and not a message that pretty big chested people will make it, and ugly plain fat people are lost souls.
I'm especially happy the dolls arent all blonde bimbos now lol.
Ok that's my rant icon_cool.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:27am
post #10 of 60

They changed Barbie once before to make her more realistic and she BOMBED! I hope she bombs again.
I'm not girly-girly at all, but I really liked my Barbies and my girls take after me that way.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:37am
post #11 of 60

Oh we got my dd the pregnant barbie when I was preg. with baby 3. She loves her(me too, it has a magnetic belly and the baby folds up inside!)! I think this might have been one of the first with the new body shape. I like it. I dont like that the clothes aren't interchangeable. I am going to have to look at the feet- I didn't notice. BTW- I think the figure is still pretty unrealistic! I mean...She had a baby in the belly and then bam its off... Come on! I had an 8.5 pounder and left the hospital only about 3 pounds lighter after 1 day!!!

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:46am
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

OMG, I am just laughing and my DH is saying stop it, l'll go into labor. icon_lol.gif

I wonder is there a prego Barbie out there?? Or maybe "revel" is right and they got the post baby Barbie!

Man, I have 2 boys and 1 more on the way, I have not purchase Barbies even as gifts, only ever have to get the clothes. Which are horible if I may add and oh so darn expensive. icon_cry.gif
I wish they made nicer clothes but I guess you have to go with the trends, my nieces all want the gowns that they saw us playing with in the pictures from when we were kids! icon_cool.gif

Oh well.

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

They do have a prego barbie my niece has it and the belly is magnetic go figure so she looks perfect before and after talk about unrealistic. I wish I could get my flat stomach with no stretch marks back without surgery. Ha ha! I guess no surgery for me till I stop having babies. icon_smile.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:52am
post #13 of 60

In response to the quality of the new Barbie...it SUCKS! We have a 1 yr old German Short hair pointer and as well all know, puppies like to chew. We have some old hand-me-down Baries and some new ones. It takes our dog about 2 minutes flat to demolish the new Barbies and Last summer, she had an 'old' Barbie that lasted through the summer. I would find the headless Barbie everywhere in the yard, but never did she completely demoish it! Not sure whatever happened to the head, but she did have some bowl problems at the end of the summer, HMMMM.....

Joolz Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:57am
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoop

In response to the quality of the new Barbie...it SUCKS! We have a 1 yr old German Short hair pointer and as well all know, puppies like to chew. We have some old hand-me-down Baries and some new ones. It takes our dog about 2 minutes flat to demolish the new Barbies and Last summer, she had an 'old' Barbie that lasted through the summer. I would find the headless Barbie everywhere in the yard, but never did she completely demoish it! Not sure whatever happened to the head, but she did have some bowl problems at the end of the summer, HMMMM.....

OMG I am laughing so hard about the dog and the bowl problems!!!! Not that it was funny for the dog but that will teach him to eat Barbie's head again icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:01am
post #15 of 60

Yes, my dog has passed quite a few toys and other intersting items throughout our house. It is a pain in the a**, but hilarious every time! She can open doors, so we had to put locks on the outside of my kids rooms so she can't get in to get to their toys.

Joolz Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:06am
post #16 of 60
Quote:

Yes, my dog has passed quite a few toys and other intersting items throughout our house. It is a pain in the a**, but hilarious every time! She can open doors, so we had to put locks on the outside of my kids rooms so she can't get in to get to their toys.

OK I am going to go to sleep laughing I am sure my DH will ask tomorrow why I was laughing all night in my sleep. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:13am
post #17 of 60

My favorite is the doll that my hubby's mom got my daughter and my neice around Easter time. My daughter has a bad habit of leaving stuff in our car and one day while I was at the bus stop waiting for the school bus I noticed that my toddler had the Barbie doll. I'm not sure if it's an official Barbie or a rip off, but my younger daughter had fallen asleep and Barbie was almost topless (the velcro had come undone), so I reached back and got the doll to fix her shirt and was shocked to notice that she had nipples! icon_eek.gif

When did they start giving dolls that much anatomical correctness?! icon_confused.gif Do the children (mostly girls, but there are siblings and other relatives) who are exposed to these dolls really need that. I actually showed my husband the next time we were in the car together. Next thing you know they'll have Menstruation Barbie and Menopause Barbie each with their own bottles of Pamparin or Estrogen!!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:13am
post #18 of 60

That reminds me friends and I used to make fun of Barbie- of course when Mattel decided to 'expand her horizons' we'd come up with new types of Barbies - treehugger Barbie, senator Barbie, street cleaner Barbie, factory worker Barbie, truckstop waitress Barbie, brain surgeon Barbie, firefighter Barbie, McDonalds drivethru Barbie. Well that was just to name a few that I can remember lol. See, times are a'changin! LOL
See and preggo Barbie is a good idea.
Now all we need is a cake decorator Barbie! LOL complete with little bowls and mixer and miniature icing bags thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:24am
post #19 of 60

Well Doug, they already have Vet Barbie and President Barbie. I guess Mattel liked some of your ideas. icon_lol.gif

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=1003678&t=modern&t2=avail&x=avail&y=avail&sort=name

*edited to add link*

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:45am
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

I can't believe they gave Barbie hip implants and a breast reduction.

LOL

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:09am
post #21 of 60

Wow, I have never seen a Barbie with nipples icon_eek.gif
I guess it is more accurate than nipple-less Barbie but don't think it is necassary. My 3 girls have tons of Barbie's and I have yet to notice that, I'll have to do a strip search while they are in school today ROFL icon_lol.gif

We also have the pregnant Barbie, she is cool but man wouldn't it be nice to just pop that belly off and be perfect again like that lol.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:05pm
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbunny

Wow, I have never seen a Barbie with nipples icon_eek.gif
I guess it is more accurate than nipple-less Barbie but don't think it is necassary. My 3 girls have tons of Barbie's and I have yet to notice that, I'll have to do a strip search while they are in school today ROFL icon_lol.gif

We also have the pregnant Barbie, she is cool but man wouldn't it be nice to just pop that belly off and be perfect again like that lol.

ROTFL

Oh, how I wish pregnancy/postpartum was that easy. After 3 c-sections and two confirmed (one suspected) cases of gestational diabetes, I don't recognize myself when I see pictures anymore. Ah, the joys of motherhood with rotten genes to boot! icon_cry.gif I miss when I was skinny and could eat whatever I wanted! Of course no matter what shape Barbie is in, it will always almost be perfect - even with duck feet and bigger hips!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:08pm
post #23 of 60
Quote:

Schomoop, we have the same problem our Cheasapeake thinks anything that she sees she can eat, books, magazine, mail, the only good things is she does not like plastic too much other that soothers, lost many of those over the last 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanspitfire

That reminds me friends and I used to make fun of Barbie- of course when Mattel decided to 'expand her horizons' we'd come up with new types of Barbies - treehugger Barbie, senator Barbie, street cleaner Barbie, factory worker Barbie, truckstop waitress Barbie, brain surgeon Barbie, firefighter Barbie, McDonalds drivethru Barbie. Well that was just to name a few that I can remember lol. See, times are a'changin! LOL
See and preggo Barbie is a good idea.
Now all we need is a cake decorator Barbie! LOL complete with little bowls and mixer and miniature icing bags .

oceanspitfire, we have a local radio guy here that once in a while talks about the mytical types of Barbies available in the Twin Cities. I have found the place where he gets the information from. They have definitions for them with the accessories and all that good stuff. It's pretty scary to think of, but really funny.
You can check out this site for the list of barbies, I in no way endorse the web site it's attached to, I just think the barbie descriptions are hilarious. By the way the barbie associated with my city does not fit anyone I know at the moment, but I am sure there are many that fit! http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/twin_cities_barbie.htm

Still LOL icon_lol.gif

Good Luck
thumbs_up.gif

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:36pm
post #24 of 60

It's so funny to see this post. My 22 yr old daughter and I were shopping yesterday. We were in the toys buying a gift when I Heard her say OMG! Who did this to Barbie?! That was just seeing her inside the box, she not only has big hips she has a big head now too!
Thank God Last week I walked out and caught my husband trying to throw out at least 100 "vintage" Barbies that were in a plastic tub in the garage!
Give us back the Barbie with the oversized bust and the feet that so perfectly fit in the stilleto shoes I spent the first 7 years of my life walking on my tiptoes so I could wear shoes like hers! Lol

Melvira Posted 23 May 2007 , 6:53pm
post #25 of 60

I'm with you heychele!! I know it's not PC... I am not asking for PC. I know we need to set good examples for children so they grow up sane and well adjusted, but the way we do that is by teaching them that SOME THINGS AREN'T REAL!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2007 , 7:20pm
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I'm with you heychele!! I know it's not PC... I am not asking for PC. I know we need to set good examples for children so they grow up sane and well adjusted, but the way we do that is by teaching them that SOME THINGS AREN'T REAL!!!

Hey, we grew up with the old, totally artificial Barbie and we're okay. Aren't we?

Well I don't know about you, but I am.

You always say that.

That's because it's true.

icon_razz.gif

okay - just kidding.

Melvira Posted 23 May 2007 , 7:29pm
post #27 of 60

Sugar Plum, if the two of you don't get of my shoulders... icon_razz.gif I love knowing people that share my slightly twisted form of humor. You're a keeper!!

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 23 May 2007 , 7:49pm
post #28 of 60

Have you played wtih the new barbie yet??? We got one form my 4 year old and it's kinda cool. She tried to pull the legs off and they would come off they had some kind of rubber band not the joints like our barbies had where the legs came on and off. But I have not seen the new ones with the smaller boobs cuz this one's legs and arms just didn't fall off same old barbie shape. I'll have to go to the toy store and look for this barbie, cuz I'm with yall i like the real deal!!!!

Melvira Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:02pm
post #29 of 60

Yes, I did notice her hip joints are bizzarre! And I'm worried that I will have to actually break the Barbie to put her in a cake... cuz if the legs don't pop in and out, what else can I do? I mean... those feet would take out half the cake on their way down!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:03pm
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Sugar Plum, if the two of you don't get of my shoulders... icon_razz.gif I love knowing people that share my slightly twisted form of humor. You're a keeper!!

Cool! I hate being tossed out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%