Help With Cake Pricing

Business By Michie21 Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 8:22pm by Michie21

Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone... i will be doing a cake for a friend who is throwing her parents an anniversary party. The cake they picked is as follows:
3 tiers (10,8, 6 inch) heart shaped. The cake will be chocolate with almond filling and crushed up almonds around the sides of each layer. All layers will be decorated with roses and royal icing daisies and boarders. Also I will be delivering the cake and setting it up the day of the party.

I know price vary's from city to city but I'd like to get some opinions on how much you would pay for this cake. It is for a friend however, besides the cost of materials, i'd like to at least make a little money for my time.

Thanks for the help!

10 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 11

In my area, I would charge $75.00.

Since this is a friend and you don't want to charge her the full price, total the cost of material and add $25.00 to it for a little profit.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 11

I live in central PA, and from experience, I know NJ is a little more expensive than here. The rate I would charge is probably $75-$100 considering the ingredients and decorations. For a friend, I would probably go with the $75.

~Nicole

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 11

For all tier cakes, I charge a per person cost. $3.25 per person.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 3:09am
post #5 of 11

How much is it going to cost you to make the cake?

General rule is the cost to make the cake times 3. Though if that feels high to you you can do x2.5. Never go below x2 though. icon_smile.gif

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 3:12am
post #6 of 11

I made a 12, 8 and 6 this past Friday. I charged 120.00. This is not my full price, but it was my first paid large cake and I really was scared.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:01am
post #7 of 11

$75 for a three tiered cake seems awefully cheap to me. I recently sat down and figured out what it actually cost per cake just for ingredients, and supplies (such as boards), and I think you might be shocked, I was. I would figure the cost out before you give a price. You could be spending almost what you are selling it for. Someone wanted a cost for a 6,8,10" wedding cake covered in fondant with 2 - 1/2 sheet cakes (from scratch) and when I figured out the cost just to make the cakes it was over $100. This is w/o the cost of my time, delivery or setup, and this was with no elaborate decorations (such as sugar flowers).

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:10am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane

$75 for a three tiered cake seems awefully cheap to me. I recently sat down and figured out what it actually cost per cake just for ingredients, and supplies (such as boards), and I think you might be shocked, I was. I would figure the cost out before you give a price. You could be spending almost what you are selling it for. Someone wanted a cost for a 6,8,10" wedding cake covered in fondant with 2 - 1/2 sheet cakes (from scratch) and when I figured out the cost just to make the cakes it was over $100. This is w/o the cost of my time, delivery or setup, and this was with no elaborate decorations (such as sugar flowers).

I think that SarahJane is right on the ball. Sometimes we forget to add everything we spend. I used to be silly and only put in my ingredietns, forgetting dowels, baking paper, water, boards, wires, colors etc, all these things require replacement. I personally don't do any cakes for less than $150 Australian which is $109 US. That is for a torted one tier cake with fondant and a modelled figure on top, or covered in buttercream roses.
$75 -$100 seems to be far too cheap.
If this was a wedding cake, you'd never do it for that price. I dont see the difference from a celebration to a wedding cake. It's still going to cost you the same and be the same amount of work. I would charge from $200 up, depending on wether your cake is scratch or boxed.
Cheers
Nati

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:33am
post #9 of 11

$75 does seem a little too cheap.

Here in NZ a three tier cake would probably be around $200 to $300 - but then I think ingredients here must be alot more expensive.

When doing cakes for friends I tend to charge materials plus around $25. It means that at least you are covering your costs and a little of your time.

Just a side issue - I find friends and family are probably my least appreciative clients icon_sad.gif and no matter what I charge them they think it is too much and I should have done it for free.

Softangelkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Softangelkisses Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 11

Around here that would probably cost 125.00 for friends or family (in Kentucky)

Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all for the replies!!!! It's been a huge help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%