Finally! Easy Way To Get Perfect Corners With Buttercream!!

Decorating By DesignerCakes Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm by Rosie2

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:12pm
post #91 of 118

Just an FYI everyone! I just got an e-mail from Alan at Global Sugar Arts that he has the Sharp Edgers in stock now! I'm placing my order now before they're all gone!!!

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:21am
post #92 of 118

I'm going to try the IMBC this week. I didnt' have time to do it over the weekend.

Has anyone else tried it? I'd love to hear about your results.

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #93 of 118

Thank you so much Gingerla for the ordering the edges and getting them to me so fast!!!
SECOND!! Thanks for coming all the way to GA and showing me how to use them on my square cakes!! I thought I was really doing something using them on the rounds ones.

The side smoothing tool works great also!!!

Meeka

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:00pm
post #94 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela

Here's a link to the picture at Global Sugar Art. They may have finally ordered some since there was another post on here regarding these and people may have started to call them wanting to place orders.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/product_19558_Sharp_Top_Edger.html

SugarBakerz - I only use pans. They have sharp edges and hold up very well to daily use.

BTW, the picture you are going to see on the link above is a heavy fruit cake covered in marzipan. You can't use this sharp edgers directly on buttercream and you can only use them very gently on fondant since our cakes are far lighter in texture.

Geez, I am so giddy! You'd think Brad Pitt just pulled up to my door!

where can you get the Magic Line Pans?
Thanks

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:04am
post #95 of 118

icon_cry.gif I'm always lateto find these amazing threads on products! Anyone else interested in buying these too? I want one bad! I never can get the edges smooth when using bc.

Kelley

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm
post #96 of 118

Just a heads up...

They are now carrying these at intotheoven.com

They're a little cheaper there, but the real savings comes in the shipping. For me, the shipping was $7 less for one edger at intotheoven!

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #97 of 118

Wow! Thanks for that Info! I will have to look for something like that!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:37pm
post #98 of 118

Thanks for the info--I missed out on the ones the OP had back in May

Cookie822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie822 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:25pm
post #99 of 118

icon_biggrin.gif I just ordered the sharp and also the narrow edger. The shipping was less than $7 total for both items sent US Postal Service two-day priority.

Oh, I ordered them from intotheoven.com. Great price and shipping costs.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 7:58am
post #100 of 118

wow! they have just about everything...and stuff i've never even heard of.
thanks for sharing. i bookmarked that page! icon_lol.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:47am
post #101 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Ok I went to this site and they were 6.00 check it out http://www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk/view_products.aspx?cid=20 let me know if this are those. I did a search through google.

Having not read ahead of your post, I don't know if this was covered; but 6.00 pounds or euros or whatever they call it in the UK that looks like a cursive letter L is US $12.13.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:24pm
post #102 of 118

Is the narrow curve edger good for buttercream to give a faux fondant slightly rounded look??

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:41pm
post #103 of 118

thanks for the great tip

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:00pm
post #104 of 118

I'm now obsessed with this.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:18am
post #105 of 118

I couldn't pull up the link you provided! Is there an alternate link to see the pic of the side edger? Thanks a bunch

justme50 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:27am
post #106 of 118

Here are the edgers that are available through intotheoven.

http://www.intotheoven.com/Fondant-Tools-Smoothers-&-Edgers/c118_119_128/index.html

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:50am
post #107 of 118

Wow, I've never heard of these. I have the fondant smoother, but had NO idea they had side, top ones - wow. I guess I've been living under a rock somewhere! ha!

Cookie822 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:38am
post #108 of 118

I say WOW also. IntotheOven sent two of these for $7 shipping, and I got them in two days. You can't beat that.

I can't wait to try them.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:49am
post #109 of 118

Am I the only one who is totally unimpressed with these? I bought a pair of them on eBay and think they are highly overrated. And I'm out 35 bucks or whatever it was. icon_sad.gif

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:54am
post #110 of 118

Cakepro I bought one too. It is sitting in the kitchen drawer laughing at me as we speak! There must be some little secret I don't get to using it. I'd sure like to know what that little secret is!

Elle

Cookie822 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:57am
post #111 of 118

I just used it and this is what I did.

First I let the buttercream CRUST. Then I used a combination method of smoothing the icing with a papertowel. I rubbed the paper towel with a fondant smoother, against the cake. Personally, I did not like the imprint of the paper towel, so I switched to wax paper and then to parchment paper, which left no imprint.

When all the bumps and spatula marks were pressed out, I then proceeded to use the sharp edge smoother. My top edges and corners were RAZOR sharp. And I never used the edger directly against the buttercream, because it would always stick. I kept the parchment in between my smoother and the cake, folding over the top edge or side corner.

If you try to use the edger with fondant, I would apply the fondant and use the edger immediately after fitting the fondant to your cake. The fondant is still soft and pliable. If you wait, the fondant with get too firm to make much of a difference.

Good luck everyone. I will post a picture of my small sample cake that I am working on now for everyone to see.

I am pleased.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:03pm
post #112 of 118

CakePro and AuntieElle, I'm with you. I was excited, bought it, used it and said, "what's the big deal???" It's currently somewhere in my closet.

justme50 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #113 of 118

I like it because it's much quicker for me to get sharp edges. It took a little time to figure out the best way to use it, but now I can zip through getting the edges nice and sharp where before I played with a cake for forever.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:47pm
post #114 of 118

The two I'm most interested in is:

Narrow top edger - would really love to know if anyone has used this on buttercream to give a nice faux fondant look

Side Edger - not for fondant, but for smoothing the sides of the buttercream, Sometimes when I use my hand, spatula, smoother, or whatever, my angle is not completely perfect. I like how this tool has a 90 degree angle on it to keep the bottom flush with the board/turntable and keep a straight angle aganist the cake.

anyone used the two I mentioned?

Cookie822 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:54am
post #115 of 118

Yes, I have used all the edgers. BE SURE to wait until the buttercream has crusted. Then use a paper towel or parchment to smooth all surfaces of the cake. I had great success so long as I used parchment between the cake and the edger. It is great to find something that will give you perfect angles.

Good luck.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #116 of 118

I know this thread is old, but THANKS GOD I found it!!!
Thank you to all that contributed to it icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:45pm
post #117 of 118

Thanks for finding it Rosie! I had no idea these things existed. Some of them look neat!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #118 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Thanks for finding it Rosie! I had no idea these things existed. Some of them look neat!

You're welcome Cystrial. I've never seen them either...and I asked at this little shop where I buy my supplies, but they've never hear of them either...I'll order them on-line.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%