Finally! Easy Way To Get Perfect Corners With Buttercream!!

Decorating By DesignerCakes Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm by Rosie2

jenz0991 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenz0991 Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:40am
post #31 of 118

This is neat!

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:44am
post #32 of 118

thanks gingerela!

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:46am
post #33 of 118

Maybe Jackie and Heath can order them and sell them in the shop! icon_biggrin.gif

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:49am
post #34 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerpillrgrl

I purchased an item like this at a local hardware store for 7 bux, much cheaper but I haven't used it yet. I will have to try it once I purchase .

katerpillrgrl--What did you find at the hardware store?

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:04am
post #35 of 118

I'm sure interested in knowing how to get some.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:38am
post #36 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoTyty

I'm sure I will have an a-ha moment after asking this but could you post exactly what IMBC is? ThanksQ!

Sorry, IMBC stands for Italian Meringue Buttercream and is a cooked icing made with egg whites and butter. Here is a link to the recipe I have posted.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:34am
post #37 of 118

For anyone interested in purchasing one of these edgers, please PM me.

mrsriff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsriff Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:35pm
post #38 of 118

My husband is a builder and you would not believe how many of his tools I use for my cake making. Go to Home Depot, in the drywall section, they have tons of plastic smoothers just like this one, in all shapes, sizes and angles. They range from under a dollar to about $10 and they work great.

DesignerCakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:00pm
post #39 of 118

I love Home Depot, too! I'm the handywoman in the house. I've tried some drywall edging tools myself, but they are not smooth around the edges and they tend to dig into the buttercream - especially for untrained buttercream users like me.

I'm in the process of making an insulated cake transportation box. That's my next project. Nothing like Lowes or Home Depot to get the creative juices flowing, ha? I wonder if they know how many of us shop there for cake decorating stuff.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:01pm
post #40 of 118

mrsriff, what department in home depot would they be in? I would like to go & look at them before I order. I just love it when everyone shares information. What a wonderful family we have.

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:54pm
post #41 of 118

OK this may be a dumb question, but please bear with the newbie here...how thick is the frosting on your cakes? I looked at the pic Gingerela posted and there seems to be a lot on there - whenever I smooth my frosting it almost all comes off and I get a layer just a bit thicker than my crumb-coat. What am I doing wrong?

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:59pm
post #42 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerpillrgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela

BTW, the picture you are going to see on the link above is a heavy fruit cake covered in marzipan. You can't use this sharp edgers directly on buttercream and you can only use them very gently on fondant since our cakes are far lighter in texture.

If you can't use it directly on buttercream, then how do you use it? I purchased an item like this at a local hardware store for 7 bux, much cheaper but I haven't used it yet. I will have to try it once I purchase .

katerpllrgrl....what was the name of the item that you bought???

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:23pm
post #43 of 118

I just sent an e-mail to Global Sugar Arts and asked them if enough people wanted this tool would they consider restocking it?? I will let you know the reply as soon as I get it.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #44 of 118

Id like to have those edging tools also. Maybe I'll look around home depot too.

ladij153 Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:51pm
post #45 of 118

I just got a reply to my e-mail to Global Sugar Arts. The owner said he is not discontinuing the sharp edger. He just needs to have a really large order in order to get them. He should have them in in a couple of weeks. He said he can order extras if we let him know how many we need.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:07pm
post #46 of 118

Is there url for them? I want one....

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:26pm
post #47 of 118

Me too!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:30pm
post #48 of 118

I just saw an edger and Home Depot in the drywall section. Was going to get it but it was bigger with a slanted edge. This seens better. Thanks

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:32pm
post #49 of 118

i would buy one! shoot, all of cc would probably buy one if they saw this thread...i look forward to them being restocked. i was going to get one of these months ago but never did. clever thinking to try it on the bc.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:34pm
post #50 of 118

gingerela:
which tool exactly did you use? maybe I misunderstood your initial post.... icon_redface.gif
you mentioned you had used a couple, etc.....

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:44pm
post #51 of 118

These tools seem just wonderful!! I spend ages trying to smooth the cake and the edges! I wish I could order them, but I don't live in the US, and I can't order from there or from the UK, it will cost me a fortune!
I'll just have to go to a hardware store and see what they have.
Thanks for everybody sharing good information.

DesignerCakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:59pm
post #52 of 118

I ordered a mixed batch of 50 edgers from Valerie today. If you want one, just PM me. I should have them in two weeks or so. She told me that GSA has not yet placed an order for the sharp edgers as of today.

Just to clarify, when I spoke to GSA a few weeks ago, they said they wouldn't be ordering any more of the sharp edgers any time soon. I told them I had posted (on another thread) about these edgers and they'd be getting calls and they said they'd order more when their supply ran lower since the shipping costs were very high.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:59pm
post #53 of 118

I bought an edger when I was lucky to go to England. But the one I got is a very C shape edger. More of a rounded edge not a sharp corner one. Need to see the object in question to understand what you all are talking about.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:07pm
post #54 of 118

Maybe you already answered this question,but how much would they be if you're ordering them?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:10pm
post #55 of 118

How do you get in touch with Valerie White?

DesignerCakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:05pm
post #56 of 118

I got her number directly from Global Sugar Art when they told me they wouldn't be ordering any more of these for who-knows-when. She sells wholesale.

I will gladly share these at cost. Please note that I am NOT in the business of selling anything other than my cakes. Sometimes I want to offer up my screaming toddler, but that's another issue...LOL. I want to make that perfectly clear (regarding the edgers, not the toddler). As a matter of fact, I am not even comfortable discussing this topic here on CC. A few of my friends wanted some so I went ahead and ordered them. I am waiting to hear back from the company as to what the shipping cost will be for the lot. Her minimum order is 50 pcs. so that's what I have to purchase.

Regarding the edgers I tried from HD...one was made of metal and the other of plastic. The metal cut into the buttercream. It could be used, however, like a bench scraper since it was straight. The other one was made of black plastic and used to smooth corners (it was 'L' shaped) but the corner was a perfect 45 degree angle which cut into the buttercream as well, either on the top or the side edge. The smoother I used yesterday is slightly more than 45 degrees, but I am not sure exactly what size.

Geez, I am so giddy with excitement. Today I made three cakes for a catering company in my area who gets weekly orders for sheet cakes and they have been looking for a cake person to supply them. I kept telling them I don't do sheet cakes. Not any more...LOL. I have finally conquered buttercream...how funny is that. I guess you could say I recouped my cost for the edgers (and then some) in less than 24 hours!

And Valerie White said she didn't think they would work.

ladij153 Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:43pm
post #57 of 118

the site is www.globalsugarart.com and do a search for edger.

ladij153 Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:51pm
post #58 of 118

The person I e-mailed at GSA was Alan Tetreault and i believe he is the owner, I'm not completely sure of that. Below is the text of his reply to me:

Hi LuAnn

We definitely are not discontinuing these items. I simply must have a large minimum order to have them shipped from England. I do expect them to be back in stock within two -three weeks.

If you know how many and which shape you need, I will be sure to order
extras to meet your need.

Regards,
Alan

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:55pm
post #59 of 118

thanks for the tip

DesignerCakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #60 of 118

Great news! I am glad they'll be ordering that one soon because they are the only place you can get them here in the U.S.

Yay!

I am going to post pics so everyone knows which ones I used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%