Durable Cake For 3D Cake

Baking By colleenl01 Updated 31 May 2007 , 3:10am by nechee

colleenl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenl01 Posted 21 May 2007 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking for a very sturdy cake to make for the ever poopluar 3d bear wilton cake pan. I can't seem to make one strong enough for the shape. HELP PLEASE!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:54am
post #2 of 8

I have never done a 3 d cake and have no idea but here's a bump for you hopefully someone can help you

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 8

I did the 3d bear a couple of weeks ago. The directions say use 1 box cake mix and 1 pound cake mix. But I find that if you use 2 box cake mixes and add 1 extra egg and an instant pudding mix into the batter you get a good sturdy cake that tastes great. Also I don't use the heating core. i fill the pan till I get to the feet of the bear and I bake at 325F for 1 hour. You will need a long knife to check to see if the bear is done at the hour. i had to leave it in for another 15 minutes before he was done completely. After cooling in the pan for 10 minutes, undo the clips and let the front of the pan off to release steam put the front back on and do the same thing with the back of the pan. after doing this let it cool in pan for about 15 minutes them remove the pan. let cool completely before decorating him. Mine turned out great. k I hope this helps you.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 8

I've used the recipe on here for the durable cake for 3-D and wedding cakes for my standing lamb pan and never had a problem:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

And it tastes really good too.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 May 2007 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 8

I always use one DH yellow and one BC pound and it works great.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 30 May 2007 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you nechee for those tips for using that 3D bear pan--I tried over and over to use that pan last month for my daughter's birthday and there was always a problem--usually related to the darn heating core--either I didn't put it in straight or I didn't clip it securely enough...ugh! I'm thrilled to know that it works without that thing! I'll try again using your suggestions! Thanks!!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 30 May 2007 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 8

Last night I made two of the 3-D Bears and used DH Devils Food with one box of chocolate pudding and 1 extra egg per mix. They both baked up very nicely.
This year for Easter I made two of the 3D Lambs. One was Strawberry cake made as described above and the other was made of the White Almond Sour Cream cake listed here on CC. I made no alterations to the WASC recipe. Both of these cakes were very sturdy and easy to handle for decorating.
HTH's icon_smile.gif

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:10am
post #8 of 8

I had to ask for help. I tried that pan about 6 times before I finally found something that worked. I'm glad I was able to help though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%