New To Baking! Advice Please

Decorating By Momof-4 Updated 24 Jun 2006 , 7:58pm by Cakers84

Momof-4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof-4 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:44am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone- I just found this site and love it.I have browsed around the pictures of you ladies cakes and they are amazing.As a mom of four I am so sick of paying bakery prices.I would love to start making them myself.Can you all tell me what kind of cake and icing would be ideal for a beginner.I browsed through the recipes but I am lost.I just don't know where to start. Also is there a place here so I can understand the abbreviations? Thank you all so much! My next kids b-day is August and I would love to put a nice cake on the table.

Jamie

12 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:56am
post #2 of 13

When I started I would make a 9x13 and leave it in the pan and just decorate the top with buttercream - I used to Wilton recipe BUT I would search here for a better one. Look for one that has 5 stars. Wilton tip 225 makes easy drop flower - practice on waxed paper - squeeze and twist about a 1/4 turn. Or get a cookie cutter lightly press it into your icing and outline it with a #3 tip and fill it in with #16 stars. If you want round 8" would be a good place to start. Shell border with a #21 tip is easy. Just remember practice make perfect and your kids will not see half the flaws you do!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 6:35am
post #3 of 13

hi and welcome!!!!!!! i am fairly new too and am TOTALLY ADDICTED! the people here are fantastic! full of knowledge, advice and great support (for those tense moments you are doing a cake and a disaster happens). I am new enough (just finished Wilton's first course) i still use cake mixes. i always buy one with the word moist in it, but i am not loyal to a brand and get whatever "moist" is on sale. i have gotten TONS of compliments on the cake so i think box mixes are just fine. also, if you don't have an adversion to the preservatives, i think they last longer on the counter (leftovers). I do a simple butter cream frosting i learned in class. To make it thin for icing: 1 cup crisco, 1 teaspoon clear flavor ( i like 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp butter flavor), 4 Tablespoons water or milk, 1 pound of powdered sugar, 1 Tablespoon powdered meringue (can get it at any craft store that sells cake supplies) and a pinch of table salt is optional (i don't use it). mix on low till smooth. don't over mix or mix it too fast or you'll get air bubbles. That should get you started. oh, don't use liquid food coloring to color your frosting, it can make it too thin. Pick up some color at the craft store.. wilton makes tons of colors, it's like a gel so it doesn't mess with your consistency. I hope this helps! Private message me if you want to know more from another newbie! LOL. Kitty icon_biggrin.gif

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:30am
post #4 of 13

Welcome to CC:

I would suggest that you use the super enhanced cake mix formula in the recipe section of this site. You can use it with any type or flavor of box mix. Also, I use the faux fondant II icing on this site for the smoothness of it. You can flavor it however you'd like. Since you are new, pick your theme and do a search in the gallery. Once you find a cake you'd like to make, you can get advice on what you will need to achieve it by posting your question in the forums. Everyone here is so helpful and will certainly assist you in any way possible. Good luck!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 11:15am
post #5 of 13

Boxed mixes taste great, especially when "doctored." You can especially enhance the flavors with great fillings. I am fairly new to decorating and I stuck with basic icing and just plain cake mix until I got the hang of everything (it was a little overwhelming at first!) Now I enjoy experimenting with cake mix, different fillings and tastier icing. The wilton version of class buttercream is easy to work with though, and might be a good place to start which is the recipe that alaskanmom gave you. Might I suggest you check out wilton decorating classes at your local craft store (michaels, Joann, Hobby Lobby etc) You could also check out the course books by wilton (sold also at craft stores) and learn on your own if you didnt want to take the class. Good luck

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 11:55am
post #6 of 13

Carol, here's a link to a thread on acronyms. Welcome to Cake Central! It's lots of fun.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-acronyms.html

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 11:59am
post #7 of 13

Also, let me second merissa's suggestion about taking a Wilton course. Course I will give you the skills and tools, and lots of ideas for fun cakes for your kids.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 13

WELCOME TO CC!!
For sure taking the "Wilton course I" will give you a great boost forward into decorating.
Good luck, have fun and please post pics of all your finished cakes. You'll be making many!! icon_smile.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 13

hey, i appreciate the acronym link! now i can understand too! LOL

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 13

I'd recommend trying to find a local bakery that does cake classes - a lot of the mom and pop bakeries do.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 13

Hi and welcome to CC, you will love it here!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 13

Your kids will love whatever you make. Don't forget to take a picture of all the cakes you make, even the ones you don't like. Then you can see how you have progressed through the years. Also, the secret to cake decorating is practice, practice, practice. I used to keep a bowl of buttercream in my fridge at all times, then pull it out when I had an hour here or there to practice. Try on a dinner plate, then you scrap it off and start all over again. This is how I got my shell border down.

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 13

Welcome!! I found this site before taking classes and am so glad I did. There has been tons of support and advice, all with the attitude of helping each other to be better at this craft. I still use cake mixes for a longer counter time. Right now I use the Wilton BCF, icon_smile.gif but I am also currently researching new recipes. I also torte my cakes and experiment with diff. flavor combos. If you can, take some classes. You will be surprised at how much you can learn, plus its fun meeting others in your local area who share your passion. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%