Help Please Royal Icing

Decorating By katiecake Updated 23 Jun 2006 , 11:44pm by katiecake

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 17

I made a batch of Royal this am to make roses, Made the bases let them dry a little then tried to do the petals, they seemed to melt together. SO i made the icing thicker, by the time I put them down the petals have pooled together into a puddle. So i thought maybe i had grease in the bags or something so washed everything with hot hot water and then vinegar. made some more, same thing!!! the petals look good when i make them but by the time I finish the last petal its starting to ooze together!! help
only thing i can think of is the humidity is high today like 90% according to the thingy! icon_cry.gif

16 replies
itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 17

maybe you can add more confectioners sugar??

katiecake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 17

its stiff enough that I have to squeeze fairly hard to get the icing out so I dont hink its that

thanks

anyone else

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 17

did you use antonia's recipe? just curious....

katiecake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 17

i used the class 2 rec. which i have used lots of times in the past with good luck!
not sure what to do. I ddont want to make another batch!!

raikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raikey Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 17

Humidity definitely has an effect on royal icing!
Did you ever find the cause?

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 17

I had that problem too. I wasn't mixing long enough. I have a stand mixer and have to let it mix minimum of ten minutes. It made a huge difference after I started mixing longer. HTH.

katiecake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 17

I have remixed it for another 7 minutes its still holding its shape to make the petals then by the time Im done the next couple they are oozing together. i dont understand!

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 17

I have had this problem with the melting royal icing also! I used the recipe on the back of the wilton meringue powder. I am interested to her any more suggestions! I don't think I mixed long enough, too.

all_about_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all_about_desserts Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 17

Are you putting the royal icicng into shiny plastic containers before you use it? When I made royal icing and put it into shiny plastic containers and it broke down. So try using dull plastic or glass it happened to alot in my class.

katiecake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 17

I made it in the KA bowl straight into the bag (washed v hot water and vinegar even though it was a Royal icing bag only!)

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_about_desserts

Are you putting the royal icicng into shiny plastic containers before you use it? When I made royal icing and put it into shiny plastic containers and it broke down. So try using dull plastic or glass it happened to alot in my class.

Wow I had never heard of that. I have been putting mine in a "shiny" new wilton mixing bowls. By the next day it was like any mosture went to the bottom of the bowl. almost like a syrup. Hmmm. And it ALWAYS happened. I guess I'll try glass. Thanks for the tip thumbs_up.gif

katiecake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 17

i am remixing it with some more meringue pwder as it just looks wet even though the consistency is tough to squeeze out? if that makes sense
will let you know
humidity inside is down to 80% ...

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 17

I mix it until it loses the "shiny" look. It took almost 10 minutes yesterday afternoon and the humidity was near 90%. Have you tried using parchment bags?

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 17

and I have found that I don't clean the equipment or dry with towels. I use lot of paper towels too. My grandmother said to always use a glass bowl and to dry it and clean it using DAWN. THat is the best for grease. ANd I don't use those plastic clear bags. I use the white bags. Hope this helps.

basilikon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basilikon Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 11:40pm
post #16 of 17

You mentioned that you use separate bags just for royal icing (definitely a good idea), but do you also use a coupler dedicated to royal icing only? Mine are made of plastic and will readily absorb the oil from BC after just one use, and no amount of vinegar will get rid of it. I had a similar experience with royal icing just after the weather started warming up. I decided to splurge on a new coupler and that seems to have been my problem. Just a thought.

David

katiecake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 17

ok remixing didnt help-added a little more meringue it was so stiff i could almost need it and still it oozed after a petal!
so
threw it out
when I was cleaning up I noticed that the icing was almost grainy feeling, gritty- like the water wastn really mixing in?
same sugar as always
who knows,
will try a brand new coupler next time see if that helps
thanks
everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%