Cake Not Cooked Thoroughly

Decorating By AJsMom Updated 24 Jun 2006 , 3:38pm by JulieB

AJsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsMom Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 8

I attempted to make a cake from scratch (a Banana Cake). I usually make box cakes. I baked the cake on Wednesday night to ice last night (Thursday). When I torted the cake, I discovered it had not cooked all the way through. (Yes, I did test it for doneness before taking it from the oven.) Can you put a cake back in the oven a day later to finish baking?

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 8

At this point, you can't really lose anything by trying, right? Let us know how it works out.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 8

No, I would say not to put it back in the oven. You are going to have to pitch this one.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 8

I don't know if I would do that if it has set out and not in the fridge. Depending on how not-done it is. I'm sitting here thinking about raw eggs sitting at room temperature for 24 hours....

AJsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsMom Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 8

Good thinking on the eggs. That didn't even occur to me. Thanks! The garbage gets it!

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that I would toss this one, but that is something I have always wondered...why does a cake test for doneness and then when you get into it it's not cooked thoroughly. I don't get that and it really ticks me off when it happens. I had one that tested for doneness with a toothpick, the spring test, and it pulled from the sides of the pan. When I leveled it there was still a little piece right in the middle that was not completely done!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 8

i have been going through this a lot in the last few weeks with scratch cakes. For sure don't use a toothpck to test. You can still use what has been baked though for mini cakes that you can cut out with cookie cutters or make petite fours or cake balls. If they are chocolate then you can use those the same way or cut them into brownies using different cutters or just cut into squares and served topt with ice cream. Nothing is ever ruined. it just changes form.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 8

I always bake my cakes at a lower temperature, and for longer than the recipe calls. I usually bump the temperature down 25-even 50 degrees. I think it makes a difference in my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%