Quick Buttercream Hydrangea--For Anyone Interested

Decorating By fronklowes Updated 15 Feb 2013 , 9:41pm by Annabakescakes

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:04am
post #1 of 7

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about how to make hydrangeas out of buttercream icing. I passed along the Wilton yearbook's five-petal hydrangea short-cut and that led to a discussion about four-petal and five-petal hydrangeas....

Anyway, I just discovered that tip 54 will make a four-petal drop flower, in addition to all the other fancy borders and such. So, it might be a good tip to use for a quick buttercream hydrangea cake.

Maybe this would be good for lilacs, too?

Just thought I'd share because I've never considered that tip a drop flower tip before and figured there are more of you out there just like me.

6 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:14am
post #2 of 7

Great tip (Ha Ha--play on words), thanks for the info!

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:20am
post #3 of 7

I must've missed the Wilton instructions on how to make the buttercream hyrangea icon_sad.gif
Hint...hint...hint icon_smile.gif

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:33am
post #4 of 7

Hint taken:

Either use the ball, egg, wonder mold pan (or the mini versions), or a mound of icing for the base of your hydrangea blossoms. Then, simply cover all over with tip 190 five-petal drop flowers (or tip 54 four-petal drop flowers icon_smile.gif ). Tip 127 or another large petal tip can be used for the ruffly leaves, and then simply make stems with a tip 7 or other round tip. Make sure to spatula stripe your piping bag or use two colors swirled together in your piping bag for more realistic colored blossoms.

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:35am
post #5 of 7

I think I can handle that ... thank you very much !!

patricia m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patricia m Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7

ACan I see what they look like? Thanks much

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Feb 2013 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia m 

Can I see what they look like? Thanks much

FronkLowes, the person who made them, hasn't posted in 5 years, and this thread is 7 years old, so probably not. Maybe see if they have pictures in their gallery? Google?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%