Stand Mixers

Decorating By CherylAnn Updated 21 May 2007 , 2:22am by turtlesmom

CherylAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylAnn Posted 20 May 2007 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 8

I have seen all the rave reviews of the KA mixers on CC but I was wondering if anyone had another brand that they preferred. I plan to purchase a new stand mixer but I dont do very many cakes and usually not over a 1/2 sheet cake at the most when I do. I hate to spend all the money on a KA when I have noticed on ebay and other sites that some of the other brands have more wattage. Any thoughts or comments greately appreciated!!!

7 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 May 2007 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 8

Wattage doesn't always mean more power, it's the amount of current it draws.
Icings are heavy so you need to look for something that can handle stuff like that.

As for price, my husband bought me the smallest KA about 7 years ago, I used it heavily the whole time and it finally started to break a few months ago. Compared to the first mixer I had that lasted under a year. The first mixer was far cheaper, about $50, but to replace even one a year for the time I had the KA would have been more than the cost for the more expensive mixer, it was about $200. His theory is that if it's something you're going to use you're best off getting something that's going to last because you'll save money in the end. KA also has wonderful service.

Some people have found other brands that they're happy with of course so there should be some other suggestions.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:37am
post #3 of 8

For what it's worth, I have a 4.5 quart KA and a 7 quart Viking. I vastly prefer the KA and I wish they made it in larger sizes than a 6 quart. The Viking rattles, grinds, groans and sounds and feels cheap. My darling little KA is a workhorse!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:57am
post #4 of 8

i am a kitchen aid fanatic. Since I started baking I have owned three. I foolishly tired to soften butter that was in the freezer...it wedged between the mixer bowl and the paddle and ruined the motor.

but my other two are going well. I wont try that again.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:06am
post #5 of 8

I have to vote KA also. I've had mine for over 20 years and love it!!

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:06am
post #6 of 8

Check out refurbished KA's on the KA website--you can get them a lot cheaper, and they are still warrantied through KA. Also search stores like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or Williams Sonoma for discontinued models/colors. Hope that helps!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:09am
post #7 of 8

Getting a KA is an investment worth making icon_smile.gif

turtlesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlesmom Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:22am
post #8 of 8

I have a Hamilton Beach eclectrics mixer and I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%