Is This A Bad Idea?????

Decorating By dtmc Updated 24 Jun 2006 , 3:46am by fearlessbaker

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, I am doing a bridal shower cake in the theme of wine and cheese since this is what the whole bridal shower will be. So the idea of a cake is this... chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream or choc. fondant with fondant grapes.

But instead of just making the grapes in a spray, which I would have to buy floral wire and floral tape, not to mention I have never done this before. What if I did this. And please tell me your honest opinion. WHat if I bought a grape spray at Michaels and took off the grapes and replaced them with fondant grapes and left on the wire and so forth? Does this make sense? Michaels or Joanns carries these plastic grape sprays that are already wired with grap leaves. But I would just take the plastic grapes off and replace with fondant ones. Maybe even make fondant leaves. Then put on the cake. No one will eat the grapes anyway..right????

All opinions accepted...I know being lazy...but could work!
TIA

7 replies
goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 8

Would it be easier to cover the cake in chocolate fondant then pipe buttercream chocolate grapes and leaves?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 8

I don't see why it wouldn't work!

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 8

That would work. how about just using the plastic grapes since nobody's going to eat them anyway. Save yourself some time. Unless you want everything to be mostly edible. I don't see a problem with replacing them. I think it's a very creative solution!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 8

I think it's a great idea! And I don't see it as lazy....it's innovative and practical!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 8

i have done grapes by just putting whoppers in a bag with petal dust to color ane then attaching to the cake and each other with buttercream to keep them in the shape. It depends on if you want them hanging off the side or not. These are best flat on the cake. Then add the leaves and stems. easy to cut and serve and all edible. Just another idea.

bekahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahd Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 8

what about real grapes, brush them with water/meringue powder for glue on the bottom and dip in sanding sugar? I think it would meet all the criteria, edible, beautiful, and fairly easy to do.

Just a thought
Bekah

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:46am
post #8 of 8

I would do real grapes and sugar frost them as suggested. I don't know what size your cake is but for small tiers you can get tiny champangne grapes. They look beautiful on a cake and you don't need to coat them with sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%