Painting On Fondent?

Decorating By Chani Updated 25 May 2007 , 8:28pm by mgdqueen

Chani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chani Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing my parents anniversary cake and I wanted to try painting on fondent. Does anyone know how? Also what kind of brushes do I use candy or normal painting brushes?

7 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 8

What are you planning to paint on the fondant? You could use regular paint brushes, and thinned down icing colors with a clear liquid, (vodka/vanilla). this should do the trick. post pictures when you finish. icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 8

I like to paint on fondant with Americolor! It is almost like using acrylics to me! It's a lot of fun, just light painting a picture depending on what you're doing!

Have fun with it!!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 8

We painted on fondant as well (the smaller wedding cake with a the couple on the beach with a palm tree in my pics). I just use any gel colors, Wilton or whatever. They need to thinned a little but I just use water. To paint I just use regular paint brushes. If you mess up, a wet q-tip dabbed on the area usually lifts the color right off.

Good luck! Have fun!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 8

RIGHT ON !!!! thumbs_up.gif

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 8

As mentioned above, there are different things you can paint on fondant with=) You can use petal dusts or luster dusts, and to use those, just place the dust in a small container and add the liquid(should be alcohol to evaporate quickly and not leave your fondant sticky) slowly with a medicine dropper until it becomes a paint consistency. Some alcohols you can use are..Vodka(I use this), Everclear(highest alcohol%, dries really quick), or lemon extract. Now if you want to paint with the gel colors, it depends on what consistency they are, if they are too think, just add the alcohol slowly like for the dusts=) I have read on here that CC members like painting with the Americolor airbrush colors, because they are the right consistency out of the bottle, to paint with=) Another form of painting on fondant is to do cocoa painting, and here is a link to the "how-to's" on that provided by ThePastryDiva. HTH some, Jen

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8252&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Chani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chani Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks alot but were can I get Americolor?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 8

You can order Americolors here at CC or at a cake supply store. The hobby stores in my area do not carry them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%