Life Throws A Big Scary Curveball-I Really Need Some Support

Lounge By heavensgaits Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm by cakemomof3

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 25 May 2007 , 4:21pm
post #31 of 55

Thank you everyone for the prayers. Please keep praying. I called the doc's office this morning and only one of the MRI's is in. It could be Tuesday before the MRI of my neck comes in. I'm continuing to wear the brace and take the aspirin daily. I really experienced some frustration about my hand yesterday. I kept dropping things and knocking things over. I said some not so pretty words yesterday. I guess it's just all part of it. I think i"m finally caught up on my sleep. I actually feel pretty good today. I'm going to venture out to the post office and to the dreaded WalMart. I can't stand going to Wal Mart but I'm out of coffee and I need to pick up some bar towels for my friend who's coming to clean tomorrow. Please pray for the cleaning to go smoothly for her. Her hubby is going to take her daughter to a movie so that we won't have to worry about her getting into things over here (she's 3). I'm excited that she's coming; we haven't had any good girl time in awhile. I thought that you all might like to see what the little angel looks like that caused me to go to the ER and has been keeping close watch on me since. Her name is Faith; she's a one year old sheltie that I got from a very good friend. This is the first purebred dog I've ever had; I wouldn't trade her for the world. I'll post again next week after I get the results of the tests.
God Bless!
LL

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #32 of 55

She's beautiful Kimberly! And such an appropriate name for her. She must love you so much to be so attentive to you. I'm still keeping you in my thoughts, and hope things turn out okay. Give Faith a hug and tell her it's from all of us!! Kim

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 28 May 2007 , 4:08am
post #33 of 55

So sorry this has happened Kimberly, I hope you get well soon.
My SIL had a similar problem strike her face - she woke up one morning and lost complete feeling in 1 side of her face, all the muscles were loose and it apparently happened just like that. She took some treatment and a few months later was fully recovered, no more problems after that and nothing ever happened again. No explanation was ever given for what caused it, but she is fine now.
Hopefully it will be the same with you. Prayers are with you.
Big hugs too.

angeldream1179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeldream1179 Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:32pm
post #34 of 55

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

heidisuesmom Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:01pm
post #35 of 55

Kimberly,
I've been thinking of you. Have you got your MRI results on your neck back yet? When you get time, let us know how you're doing. Praying for good results!! Kim

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:17pm
post #36 of 55

Hi kim! I hope you are better, please let us know whats new with the doctor

heavensgaits Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:42pm
post #37 of 55

Hi everybody.

I spoke with the doctor last night. The brain scan and all of the blood work came back normal; no evidence of a stroke. They did find something on my neck scan. I have what is called a Hemangioma on my C7 vertebrae, which is at the base of my neck. A Hemangioma is a benign tumour made up by a group of abnormal blood vessels; the way they explained it to me, it's like a little ball of blood vessels. This is probably impinging on the nerve that exits the spinal canal at that point but we won't know for sure until we talk to the neurologist. I have an appointment with the neurologist on the 25th. My regular doctor has emailed the neurologist to have her look at all the test results and doctors notes regarding my condition and to email back with her opinion on my situation and what the next step might be. We should here from her within the next weeke or so. The doc wants me to call tomorow to see if she's heard from the neurologist yet, and if she hasn't, she'll have me call next week. My regular doctor wants me to continue on the aspirin since we're dealing with blood vessels. From what I've researched, it looks like the treatment is surgery to remove the tumor and then neck fusion. We'll see what the neurologist suggests. I'll keep ya'll updated. At least if this is what's impingng the nerve that controls my hand, once they remove it, I'll get use of my right hand back.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:59am
post #38 of 55

It's good to here that it was not a stroke! Prayers are continued for you for a speedy recovery icon_smile.gif

heidisuesmom Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:24pm
post #39 of 55

Kimberly
I've been thinking of you, and was just wondering how you've been doing. I guess you haven't been to the neuroligist yet. Just wanted you to know that we're still with you through all this! Let us know how you are doing if you can. Best wishes to you.
Kim (heidisuesmom)

heavensgaits Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:16am
post #40 of 55

Hi everybody,
I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I went out of town for a week with my little angel, Faith, to surprise my dad for father's day. We've not seen each other in 7 years. We talk on the phone weekly, but visits just haven't been possible with me being in the military. My stepmom came up with the idea and bought me a plane ticket. LOL, the look on his face was priceless when I walked into his office demanding my paycheck(he's the payroll administrator for the employee buses at the airport). He couldn't speak, or even stand. He just sat there staring at me as though he was looking at an apparition,lol. He finally got up and gave me a hug, and my stepmom, who was standing behind me crying, told me she could see his eyes welling up with tears. He works in a secure area, so we'd been working with his secretary to make sure we could get in. She ushered him into his office and then drove out to the gate to come get us when I finally found my way out of the airport to meet up with my mom. I wish you all could have been there, it was so cool to surprise him like that. You have to understand that my dad always has something to say or a comeback. I've made him speechless twice in my life; the day he gave me away at my wedding, and this trip. This sounds horrible, but all I could think when I saw him was how much he'd shrank. LOL, I know that's horrible, but he's 67 now, and literally has shrank several inches. I'm concerned about him and his health. He works himself into the ground and drinks quite a bit when he gets home. He's not mean or abusive when he drinks. Please keep him and my stepmom in your prayers. They're both getting older and have a big house and yard with a barn and three horses to take care of. I can't convince them to hire someone to do the work for them. Not only do I not know if they have the money, but I do know that my dad's pride won't allow it. He doesn't ask for anything. It's been a long running joke for them to harass me about moving back home to Colorado, but on father's day my stepmom literally broke down crying asking me to come home. In the past six months my father has stopped telling her to leave me alone about it. At night when they go to bed, he's told her several times that he wishes I would come home. He won't ask me directly. On father's day when mom broke down, he was sitting right there; I glanced over at him and he just looked down at the ground. He doesn't want me to come home if I don't want to; he doesn't want it to be forced. For the past several months, I've actually been comfortable with the thought of moving home to spend their last years with them. Even my stepsister, whom I'm not very close to, just because we've never taken the time to get to know each other, expressed her desire for me to move home. I told my parents that if I were to move back, I wouldn't be able to make it happen for about a year. I need to straighten my finances out, and get the rest of the disability income that I'm entitled to in place first. You can't live in Denver on $1,200/mo. When I came home to Louisiana, I had less peace about coming back here than the thought of staying in Denver. I just hope and pray that my friends here will understand that I need to move home. I'm sorry this is so long. Please be praying that if it's God's will for me to move back home to Colorado that He will pave the way for all of the disability and financial things to happen so that the move will be able to happen. My stepmom and Dad need me, even if only just emotionally. I'm all the immediate family my dad has left. Both his siblings have recently passed away, and the only surviving parent is his stepmom; who he's not close to at all. Ok, enough about all of that. My hand and wrist are still the same. I have the appt with the neurologist on the 25th and she has scheduled me for a nerve conduction study on the 5th or 6th of July. I'll post again on the 25th after I see the neurologist and let ya know what she says. Thank you to everyone for the continued prayers and to those that pm'd me and emailed me while I was gone.
God Bless,
Kimberly

heidisuesmom Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 2:03pm
post #41 of 55

Good to hear from you! I'm so glad you got to spend time with your parents. It sounds like it was a wonderful surprise for him. You've been in my prayers, and I will add your request. God is amazing at showing us the way. Hope your hand gets better soon, at least it didn't keep you from heading out for your visit!

heavensgaits Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:52pm
post #42 of 55

I posted a picture of me and my dad in the Lounge. You can see it here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-171831-480.html

heavensgaits Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:13pm
post #43 of 55

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry that it's been so long since I've updated you on my condition. I've been really sick and just haven't felt like getting on the computer. I think I had a case of food poisoning. I'm better now. I saw the neurologist. She did a full neurological exam on me. She said that the tumour in my neck isn't the cause of the paralysis in my hand. She said that I've had a compression of the radial nerve in my wrist. She is going to send me to occupational therapy. She said that with therapy I should be able to regain some strength in my right hand. I asked her if I would be able to fully regain use of my hand and she said that she would let the therapist discuss that with me. So from what I can tell, I may or may not regain use; only time will tell. The good news is that I've had a little bit of slight movement in my pinky, and yesterday I felt some sensation in the muscle on my forearm. Please keep praying. The neuroligist is going to send me to Houston neurosurgery to see if anything needs to be done about my neck. I've been doing a lot of praying about my situation and my parents asking me to move home and I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and move home; probably around the beginning of Oct. I'm going to file for the rest of my disability that I'm qualified for before I move. My stepmom is going to fly into houston, and then we're going to rent a small U-haul and a truck dolly for my truck. She's going to help me drive back to Colorado. I'm really excited. All of my friends are really supportive of my decision. I'll be glad when my hand comes back so that I can start decorating again. I can still do a little bit,like making pearls and such; it just takes a bit longer. I haven't tried piping yet,btu plan to soon. I just got a book about lace and filigree by Nicholas Lodge and I'm excited to try some of the patterns he has in the book. There's a peacock cake in it that's absolutely stunning. Ok, I've written a book again. Just wanted to give ya'll an update. Thank you again for your prayers and support; they mean the world to me. icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #44 of 55

glad to hear that while is not fully better -- at least you are one the mend and moving forward to get everything to a better place for you.

prayers continue for healing and safe move.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:12am
post #45 of 55

Good luck and I'll keep praying for you thumbs_up.gif

heidisuesmom Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:46pm
post #46 of 55

Good to hear from you again! It sounds like God is leading you to where you need to be, getting the medical testing that you need, and also moving home. It sounds to me like your dad just really needs you there right now! Hope things keep improving for you, you are in my prayers.

heavensgaits Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:16am
post #47 of 55

I have a praise report!!!!!!!! my pinky moved slightly, and when I have my forearm in certain positions, I can straighten my wrist! I have a very long way to go, but my doc said this is a really good sign. Praise God!

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:51am
post #48 of 55

Sending prayers and positive thought your way! Keep your chin up!

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:55am
post #49 of 55

Praise God for your praise report! God is so good. icon_biggrin.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:48am
post #50 of 55

Thank good! keep getting better!
Paola

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm
post #51 of 55

Continue keeping God #1 and things will work out!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:02am
post #52 of 55

I'm glad to see things are getting better for you both physically and moving back home. How is Faith? Give her a big dog bone for being on top of your health issue. Where in Louisiana are you living? I am just outside of Lafayette, between Baton Rouge and Lake Charles. Have you ever tried heated wax therapy and then cold compresses? I have had corprul tunnel (sp) problems and for a while this helped with my swelling and numbness. I eventually had surgery on the nerve problem. Now my other arm keeps going numb and my nurologist doesn't know what the problem is after having a MRI.

heavensgaits Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 9:00am
post #53 of 55

UPDATE

I'm sorry I never updated. I was away from the site for almost a year. I ended up regaining complete use of my right hand by november of last year; 3 months after I'd lost use of it completely. Just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and support; it was a really scary time for me. I just made my first cake with my best friend after regaining use of my hand and it turned out great! It's the 'Saw' cake that's listed in the Halloween entries. Thank you all again for all of your support. It's great to be back on the site again.
God Bless,
Kimberly

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 9:29am
post #54 of 55

. . . PTL . . . and welcome back . . . glad to hear everything worked out for you and nice to see your first cake . . . looks GREAT . . . thumbs_up.gif

cakemomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomof3 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #55 of 55

I am so glad everything worked out for you. God does answer prayers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%