Fondant On A Round Cake

Decorating By maemae Updated 20 May 2007 , 3:05pm by NewbeeBaker

maemae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maemae Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #1 of 3

I just had my first wedding cake....a 3 tiered simple fondant covered cake. A few things went wrong and this wedding cake and grooms cake ended up being an all-nighter.

The fondant rolled fine, but then when I put it on the round tier I couldn't get rid of all the wrinkles around the bottom...big overlapping layers. What do you do with all that extra???

Then the filling started bulging and the tiers seem like they are "rounding" The lady that I did this for knows I'm new and not licensed...so for all the expense and time she got a deal for all the cake she got...but it's a small consolation to my ego. I really wanted it to be so nice for her special dayl.

Also the grooms cake...no crisp edges...I worked and worked...but it just seems strange. I should have kept it one layer torted rather than 2 layers...retrospect.

This was a great learning experience....but I don't like weddings being an occasion for learning. I haven' t heard from her, the wedding was today...so I'm hoping it at least tasted good.

please see my photos and offer any help possible.!
thanks so much in advance!

2 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:29am
post #2 of 3

I like your cakes!

What you want to do is ice your cake as smooth as possible and then refrigerate so its firm. Then you will have a nice firm surface to work with.

Roll out your fondant to like 1/4" or slightly thinner (not too thin) and lay it over the cake. And then gently smooth down all around maybe an inch at a time. As you get to the bottom you have to gently pull it out and rub down, stretching a tiny bit in some areas, so all the extra fondant ends up at the bottom of the cake instead of folding and creasing.

I find too that sometimes, if you put the cake on top of a large heavy can to where the edges are free, it is easier to smooth down past the bottom of the cake and then run a knife along underneath the cake board so the fondant is cut even to the bottom of the cake.

Practice makes perfect!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 3

Here is a great link that JoAnnB provided on another post. I actually have this site saved it is so helpful! If you click into the satin ice tutorials, it has a video that shows him putting fondant onto the cake. The biggest thing for me that stood out is to make sure you do not smooth "side to side" that you are smoothing it down only and do the lift/smooth=) HTH some, Jen

http://atecousa.net//learn/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%