Bubbles Under Fondant

Decorating By bcbaker Updated 21 May 2007 , 12:42am by bcbaker

bcbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcbaker Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #1 of 6

Looking for some help. I covered my son's birthday cake in fondant today and looking at it tonight, it looks like it has air bubbles under it. I covered the cake in BC and made sure it was really smooth and I also smoothed the fondant out really well, starting in the centre and working my way out. So, the question is what did I do wrong?

Thanks!

5 replies
jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:57am
post #2 of 6

I get those too sometimes. I'm not sure why. But I use a straight pin and make a little hole in the bubble and try push the air out. It usually works. Except one time I had a really big air bubble and I couldn't figure out why. it looked like it was going to explode. icon_smile.gif I ended up having to suction the air out with a medicine dropper. (used only for cake stuff)

corderoy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corderoy1 Posted 20 May 2007 , 4:07am
post #3 of 6

Just last night I did my first cake covered in fondant for my 4 year old niece's birthday cake. I noticed a little bubble and "Thought no big deal I will just place a polka dot over it and no one will ever know." The bubble got larger and larger and I remembered that I was told to use a straight pin just like the previous member mentioned. I poked a very tiny hole and like magic it worked no more bubble.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 20 May 2007 , 4:18am
post #4 of 6

Also after you have pricked the bubble place a little of what you rolled the fondant out with and rub into the hole and dust off. You can hardly see the mark.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 May 2007 , 4:27am
post #5 of 6

i *THINK* that the reason we sometimes get so many air bubbles despite smoothing the fondant well is because of kneeding it - whether it be to add color or to soften it, air gets trapped , so the bubbles may not always be in between the bc and the fondant. i usually have luck with the straight pin and crisco too- but i usually do it as i am rolling and i see them - while it is still thick, like 3/4 to half an inch, that way when i poke and then rub crisco on it, i can "roll" the hole out by rolling it thinner. its less noticable. sometimes though you wont see it till the end- go ahead and try that straight pin.

bcbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcbaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the great help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%