Cookie Prices

Baking By heidinamba Updated 22 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm by heidinamba

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 12:04am
post #1 of 10

Ok, here is my deal. I sell my cookies to people in my office on a regular basis. I usually charge $4.00 a cookie and the typical order is usually around 1 or 2 dozen cookies. Most of my cookies are around 4 inch cutters. Anyways, I wanted to bring in some decorated cookies to sell around the 4th of July - place them in our company lunch area and let people browse through them and pay me at my desk if they want to purchase one. I've done this before in the past and made quite a bit of money off of this method. But I have not done this since I've started selling customized cookies to people in the office who have ordered them for showers, weddings, birthdays, gifts...etc. I can't see people in the office paying $4.00 for each cookie when in the past I have asked for no more than $2.50 a cookie. So my question is.......would it be wrong for me to charge $3.00 a cookie when there are people in the office who have bought the very same cookies shapes from me for $4.00 per cookie? My reasoning would be; the individual cookies would not be customized cookies, there would be no separate package other than the cellophane bags & ribbons (no basket or bucket or gift bag etc) and there would be no set-up fee. I hope all of this makes sense. I just don't want people in my office to walk in the lunch room and say "Why is she selling these cookies for $3.00 a piece when I just payed her $4.00 a piece?".

9 replies
SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 12:34am
post #2 of 10

They are your cookies. You can charge whatever you want. Maybe if you put a small sign out front of your cookies stating that the sale is just that- a sale. If anyone has a problem with it, a nice way to explain yourself is that you are discounting them that day to see if you can get more customers. Personally, I don't think you owe anyone an explanation, but that's just my $0.02.
Hope this helps !

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 12:41am
post #3 of 10

I have to agree with puppyloveconfections. If you feel $4 is too much for them that day then I would go for no less the $3. With them all being similiar or the exact same it isn't taking as much time for you to do (not customized like you stated) So there isn't quite as much cost in them.

I wouldn't worry about it. If anyone ask then you can explain like puppyloveconfections said. Say it is a one day promotion for the office!

Good luck! that is a great opportunity. I which I had that, but there are only 6 people at the place I work right now so I have to wait for something like that until we get more people!

Leily

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 12:51am
post #4 of 10

I don't know if customers who have ordered in the past will question that day why the price is lower, but I'm certain that the next time they want to order cookies they'll question it then, wanting the lower price! icon_surprised.gif

I would be sure to let them know this is a sale, just so you don't end up losing possible customers or orders in the future due to a misunderstanding.

Again, I would go no lower than $3 each, the people who have ordered from you in the past know the quality of your work and I'm sure they'll encourage the others to try them as well.

Good luck, post some pictures when you make the cookies!

Laura.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 12:54am
post #5 of 10

I AGREE WITH ABOVE POST--THIS IS YOUR WAY OF GETTING BUSINESS BY GETTING THE PRODUCT OUT THERE & MY 1ST THOUGHT WHEN READING YOUR POST WAS THE SAME AS ABOVE POST
"SPECIAL FOR THE 4TH OF JULY" --GOOD LUCK

maltesemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maltesemom Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:33am
post #6 of 10

Put up a sign that says this is a special promotion for the 4th of July! Then the people who have bought before can't complain (well, they can, but it won't be legit). Or call it a marketing promotion and make sure you put a business card on each cookie. That way you can explain to the prior customers that this was a marketing promotion to drive new business.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

I think you should make it clear that it is a 4th of July promotion otherwise it could damage your future sales. Not only the people who already paid $4 a cookie would be unhappy but how do you tell new customers that they are now $4 a cookie.

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 10

I like the wording of "4th of July Promotion" rather than sale, personal. A sale almost sounds like their old.

That's my opinion. Great idea though!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 10

I would make it cleat that it was a promotional thing and that they are cheaper when you do them in bulk.

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 10

excellent advice from all of you! It did not even occur to me to have an actual "sale" or "4th of July special". That's awesome and that's just what I am going to do. My office has close to 400 people in it (downtown Seattle) and whenever I put cookies out for sale - usually on holidays- they sell like hotcakes!

Now I need to create my little "4th of July Special" sign to hang up throughout the office.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%