Wedding Cake Stand Ideas

Decorating By Amish Updated 24 Jun 2006 , 7:49pm by PieceofCakeAZ

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 17

I was wanting some of your personal ideas for presenting wedding cakes. The presentation is everthing and of course the tasting. I was going to buy a cake stand but they are so expensive. Any great ways to make a inexpensive cake stand are appreciated.

16 replies
JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:42am
post #2 of 17

I have a nice one that is just a plywood circle with small bun feet screwed onto it. It was made for me by my uncle. I loan it out all the time, and have always gotten it back, but if I ever don't, it is easily replaceable. I put a nice paper liner on it, then set the cake on a plastic Wilton plate, and it really looks very nice. I tell you, those Wilton plates are pretty, but in my opinion, they are overpriced. I can't imagine loaning them out all the time, and worrying that I wouldn't get them back, and would have to replace them. Someone said to charge a deposit of the cost of the plate, but I think folks would buck at paying a $70 deposit, even if it was refundable, and I don't want to keep track of that.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:50am
post #3 of 17

I was looking at some neat hat boxes in Michaels today and thought they would make nice cake stands. I have used a sturdy cardboard box with material draped over it. Putting the cake on a big mirror is nice too.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 3:53am
post #4 of 17

The boxes sound nice. I bet those shaker boxes that you can paint yourself would work well.

I just bought a bunch of low-standing plant stands at Joann Fabrics last weekend. There was a big sale, 50% off all seasonal items. One was round, the other square. These would also be nice to use for a buffet setting.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:27am
post #5 of 17

Vases are really cool to use. I like square glass ones especially. Then you can fill them with something that coordinates with the cake. I did one at Christmas filled with ornaments, and I've done ribbon and flower petals.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 4:50am
post #6 of 17

We use votive holders quite frequently ($.99 each at Walmart) and some other glass blocks ($3.00 each at Michaels) and they work pretty well. Here are a couple of examples:

They look pretty cool and are cheap to boot.

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:04am
post #7 of 17

icon_eek.gif PieceofcakeAZ! Not only is your stand a great idea but your cakes are fabulous. Thanks so very much for the idea.

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:16am
post #8 of 17

I used a floating candle bowl that I turned upside down and filled with roses. (Mother's Day contest entry last month in my gallery. Has a painted portrait of mother and baby on a heart as a topper). It looked very nice. The clear glass risers under the top tier are just low votive candle holders turned upside down.

My husband made 3 wooden boxes, 10" square I believe, at 3 different levels. I can cover them with complimenting wrapping paper or drape with fabric totally covers the boxes but gives different heights.

There's a baby shower cake in my gallery with one of the boxes wrapped in coordinating paper (another contest entry-pregnant belly) and 3 hearts on some fabric draped boxes all in blue, white, silver.

I'm ALWAYS looking at things with "cake stand" in mind!!!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:48am
post #9 of 17

Great stand ideas, AZ!!! Thanks!

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks for all the great ideas!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmandds

icon_eek.gif PieceofcakeAZ! Not only is your stand a great idea but your cakes are fabulous. Thanks so very much for the idea.

Oh, man, I totally agree! Not only are those votives beautiful, but the glass blocks are absolutely stunning! I am so going to have to try that.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:24am
post #12 of 17

I used glass blocks and a ceramic floor tile on both wedding cakes in my pictures.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 12:34am
post #13 of 17

I've always love the Roman Pedestal or those columns that florists use. icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 17

I like to use the 3" lattice work columns for elevating a cake off of the table.
The pic that I am attaching is one that I just did.
I bought some compressed wood circles from the home depot the other day that were on clearance. I covered the small one with lavendar tissue paper and then clear contact paper. To elevate it I took 5- 3" lattice work towers and stuck them under the finished cake. I then took flowers, cut the stems very short and placed them underneath..
I've done this type of presentation before...if you look at my photos I have done at least one other wedding cake this way before.
LL

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 17

And remember, you can always buy the Wilton stands for 50% off when Michaels or AC Moore have their coupons in the paper.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:21pm
post #16 of 17

Great ideas!

Pieceofcakeaz,

Do you provide instruction to bride to have the person remove the cake from the stand before cutting? Are the blocks stable enough for cutting or just suitable for the first cut done by the bride and groom?

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:49pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker

Great ideas!

Pieceofcakeaz,

Do you provide instruction to bride to have the person remove the cake from the stand before cutting? Are the blocks stable enough for cutting or just suitable for the first cut done by the bride and groom?

The blocks are definitely stable enough for a full cutting but nearly every caterer I have met removes the cake and takes it into the kitchen so they can seperate the layers before cutting so it hasn't come up too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%