Rolled Fondant Is Dull...help!

Decorating By cookie_monster300 Updated 21 May 2007 , 6:06pm by cookie_monster300

cookie_monster300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_monster300 Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 6

so i covered my cake with navy blue rolled fondant. and now its color is very dull.....can i make it shiny, or just back to the way it should be? i had to use flour to roll it out because i ran out of cornstarch. can i brush it with simple syrup or water or am i just stuck with it????? HELP

5 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 6

spray or brush it with water. Water leaves it nice n shiny.

missparker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missparker Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 6

i would put a thin layer of crisco. water always makes mine sticky.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 6

Try wiping as much of the flour off with a dish towel as possible. Lightly grease your hands with Crisco and rub your hands all around the cake for a bit...it might help.

You can roll out fondant with powdered sugar also.

Please let us know how you made out thumbs_up.gif

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 19 May 2007 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 6

i only ever roll my fondant on icing sugar then when its put on the cake i polish it with my hands, gives it a nice smooth satin finish

cookie_monster300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_monster300 Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 6

thank you all so much for the advice. i brushed the cake in water and yeah it made it a bit sticky, but it made it shiny and looked great. the people i made the cake for were super impressed with the cake and said it was awesome. so all is well!!! i'm making sure to always have powdered sugar and cornstarch on hand from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%