Semi-Homemade With Sandra Lee

Decorating By fragglerock1 Updated 25 May 2007 , 8:24pm by jab

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 42

I think she may be a quack. I'd never seen the show before today, but it was all about cakes and cupcakes so I thought I'd see how she doctors a cake mix. First she made tie died cupcakes she said to use a french vanilla cake mix and then add only water and vegetable oil to it! Yeah that's right no eggs whatsoever, is she smoking somthing?!?!? Then the only thing she added to it was colored jimmies, that's not semi homemade. That's not even made like the box tells you to make it!

41 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 42

I don't usually watch her show--mainly for that reason. I do like the way she decorates the table and everything but the food to me usually seems lacking.

The guys in class though sure love her (especially the episode of her on the beach in a skinpy outfit--not a single one can tell you what she makes but they have each seen that one a few times) icon_lol.gif

natties_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natties_mom Posted 19 May 2007 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 42

I've seen her show a couple times and I think she's a little unrealistic. She doesn't even wear an apron.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 19 May 2007 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 42

We have a saying around here...... NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially one with a boob job. LOL

Daryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daryn Posted 19 May 2007 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 42

You all know that we all change our kitchen decor to coordinate with our outfits every single day ~ even the small appliances. Very practical! icon_confused.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 42

LOL...You guys are too much. She has an occasional recipe that I end up trying, but most of the time I am looking at the TV like she's a loony. I caught a glimpse of her making her tie-die cake. She was pouring colored liquid onto the cake to create colored spotches....I just shook my head and walked away...Somehow I knew there would be a thread about her and here it is. icon_smile.gif

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:24am
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

ROFLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't stand her, but she thinks she is GRRREEAAATTT

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoore

LOL...You guys are too much. She has an occasional recipe that I end up trying, but most of the time I am looking at the TV like she's a loony. I caught a glimpse of her making her tie-die cake. She was pouring colored liquid onto the cake to create colored spotches....I just shook my head and walked away...Somehow I knew there would be a thread about her and here it is. icon_smile.gif

...ditto.....

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:35am
post #9 of 42

I watch her just to make myself laugh!!!! The tablescapes are pretty enough though, but we know she doesn't do them herself. icon_lol.gif I agree with chaptlps!! I NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK EITHER!!! icon_lol.gif

You all are just way too funny!!!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:44am
post #10 of 42

I have never tried one of her recipes but I like to watch her the way she sets up her table. I think that they give her some good ideas. I think that the person who is feeding her this stuff should have their own show (the table that is). As for the cooking I think that she needs to go somewhere and learn some basics. There is an episode that she adds the whole bottle of red food coloring to some whipped topping or something like that. How in the world did someone think that it was a good idea to do that. Did they even taste it when it was done. Anyway, she is on tv and tv is for entertainment. lolol

Vicky

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:45am
post #11 of 42

What gets me is...who has that kinda stuff to whip out and change our table decor all the time? She says it's inexpensive stuff but I guarantee you it all adds up!
Jacqui

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:48am
post #12 of 42

I'm not trying to stand up for her or anything but I did just watch a whole biography on her and she plans and sets up all of the decor on her show. She is very creative although not the best cook I have ever seen but I just thought I would put in my two cents.

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:49am
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Awwww, I'm a skinny cook! And a great one too thumbs_up.gif But yeah, her plastic surgeon didn't do a good job when they're that obviously not real.

She gets her claim to fame because she's the niece of Sara Lee (yeah, the frozen pie lady). Her and Rachel Ray, blech. They're proof that the Food Network has taken a nosedive in quality the past few years. Sanda Lee makes no sense--just because I want a fall themed meal, or an all green St. Pattys meal, doesn't mean I go and change all my kitchen decor!!

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:51am
post #14 of 42

I love that show but then again I am an entertainer not a cook. icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:53am
post #15 of 42

There have been quite a few quickie desserts that she's put together on the show that I've tried and truly like.

I like to see the different tablescapes too.

Watching the show is kinda like a virtual Sherwin Williams....see all the shades of a color in various patterns....I like that part too. If I had a kitchen that would reflect my mood...it would be changing everyday too.

I'm wanting to try that apple puff pastry thing she made on the last show I watched.

I should try to look like that all day

NOT!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #16 of 42

If you ever watch her bio on food network, watch it. I do have some respect for her now. Her life was not easy by any means. However, that doesn't change the fact that I still don't care for how show much.

Some people love her and that's great, she has pretty good rating too. I'm more of an Alton Brown fan myself!!! He's just a book of food science knowledge!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:10am
post #17 of 42

I actually watched a biography show on her. Originally, she was marketed for decorating. She had a product out that you could make easy window valances (puffs and stuff) There were also videos for sale. I think it was back in the 90s. I remember seeing her products at one time but didn't make the connection to the Sandra Lee on Food Network! She got into the food part of it with the help of her sister. I'm not exactly sure how they did it! I watch her show once in awhile. Most of the ingredients I probably wouldn't just have on hand. It would also get pretty expensive using all of the prepackaged seasoning mixes she likes to use! Decorating might be a better career!

Badeerah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badeerah Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:27am
post #18 of 42

I just like the fact that she makes a drink with every meal, and she's real heavy on the alcohol. thumbs_up.gif

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:27am
post #19 of 42

Some people love her and that's great, she has pretty good rating too. I'm more of an Alton Brown fan myself!!! He's just a book of food science knowledge![/quote]

I LOVE Alton Brown too... I call him Uncle Alton!!! Great show!!!!

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:30am
post #20 of 42

I watch her show for the Cocktails!!!!!Actuaully, Im making up a book for my sister in law who loves martinis.Im sending it to be printed and giving it to her for christmas. My husband gets a real laugh over her.She has a cocktail for breakfast,lunch and dinner!!!!!!

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:33am
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by foots2

I watch her show for the Cocktails!!!!!Actuaully, Im making up a book for my sister in law who loves martinis.Im sending it to be printed and giving it to her for christmas. My husband gets a real laugh over her.She has a cocktail for breakfast,lunch and dinner!!!!!!

OMG, I didn't realize that!! As I said, today was the first time I ever watched her show and I thought it was odd that she was making a cocktail to go with cake! Maybe that's why she didn't put any eggs in the cupcakes, she was drunk and forgot about them!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:47am
post #22 of 42

I've actually tried two of her recipes (a candy cane cookie, and a southern gravy) - and both tasted like crap (WAAAAAAAAAY to strong). She tries to doctor up these mixes - but she thinks she has to add so much flavor that you don't know it's a mix... but it ends up tasting like crap.

I figured the first bad recipe was a fluke. But after the second one, I never watched her again. I found her annoying anyway.

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 20 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I'm more of an Alton Brown fan myself!!! He's just a book of food science knowledge!

I love Alton! I laugh everytime I watch his show!

There's some 'ok' things that Sandra has made and I've tried at home. One was a lemon dessert and the other a cookie recipe. Not to shabby but I've made better recipes. BUT it takes every ouce of energy I have not to throw up when I watch her. She's just too 'perfect'.

I love the cooks/chefs that make wonderful meals and are down home - like Paula Deen, Ina Garten and Rachel Ray. If they get a little gravy on the table or flour on their hands, they're happy! To me, Sandra would call in a cleaning crew and a manicurist if that ever happened to her. icon_lol.gif

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:36am
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

You all know that we all change our kitchen decor to coordinate with our outfits every single day ~ even the small appliances. Very practical!

Okay, THAT line made me snort my ice water. LOLOL yeah. Practical, that's her name. But hey, the guys love her. icon_rolleyes.gif

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:17am
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by foots2

My husband gets a real laugh over her.She has a cocktail for breakfast,lunch and dinner!!!!!!

Mu hubby too!!
Everytime I turn on her show, he always has to make a "there she is drinking again! " comment!!
That's the way to cook, bring on the alcohol!!! icon_lol.gif

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 20 May 2007 , 12:15pm
post #26 of 42

are you sure about the relatin to "sara lee" it never said that in the bio I watched or maybe I missed it

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:29pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbucksAddict

She gets her claim to fame because she's the niece of Sara Lee (yeah, the frozen pie lady).

Where did you get this info? I have also never heard of this relationship before. But, even if it does happen to be true....it is not her claim to fame....she worked hard to get to where she is (which is somewhere any one of us would love to be)...

not to mention she sits on a few boards, including one for UNICEF and a couple of other philanthropic services.

I enjoy her show.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbucksAddict

She gets her claim to fame because she's the niece of Sara Lee (yeah, the frozen pie lady).

Where did you get this info? I have also never heard of this relationship before. But, even if it does happen to be true....it is not her claim to fame....she worked hard to get to where she is (which is somewhere any one of us would love to be)...

not to mention she sits on a few boards, including one for UNICEF and a couple of other philanthropic services.

I enjoy her show.

Just did a little research...The Sara Lee company was named after the founder's daughter, Sara Lee LUBIN.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #29 of 42

http://www.semihomemade.com/sandra-lee/biography.htm

I dont care for her show, but her bio tells how she got to where she is. I mean, I am sure her looks have something to do with it as well.

I e-mailed her asking if she is related to Sara Lee...we'll see what she says thumbs_up.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 May 2007 , 4:16pm
post #30 of 42

She is not related to Sara Lee. Lee is her middle name (her sister's name is Kimber Lee...I'm not kidding). Sandra is a good old fashioned entrepreuneur (with the poof curtain things) who married a rich guy and got her own show. Love her or hate her, you gotta admire her persistence. She couldn't get a decorating show, so she got a cooking show and she can't cook. icon_smile.gif

Anybody who likes the stuff that's been on some of her shows can buy it from Fidalgo's Home Flair (a Seattle company now selling on Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sc_bb_br_13457941_3/002-4091963-8791267?ie=UTF8&node=13706381&no=13457941&me=A3RY5RL7A0FJOT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%