Do I Need To Use Dowels In This Cake...

Decorating By lindsaycakes Updated 19 May 2007 , 6:39pm by lecrn

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 3 layer cake today. I used the MagicLine 10x2 (10 inch round, by 2 inches deep), and I will be stacking them all together with just one layer of icing in between (not torting or anything).

Do I need to use dowels for this??? I was planning on putting one through the middle, but I wondered if I should separate one with a cardboard and use dowels underneath. Is this absolutely necessary, or am I asking for disaster if I DON'T??

Thanks for reading/posting! I appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif
Lindsay

4 replies
mommalud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommalud Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 5

i have never done anything over 2 layers , but i was told by my baking instructor and someone on here that anything over two layers needs to be supported. better safe than sorry!
good luck.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 5

I would definitely dowel it... you might get sliding or bulging of your icing if you don't.. I wouldn't put cardboard between it but definitely to give it some glue, put a few dowels in it... the height is the issue as is the weight of the 2 tiers on top of the bottom guy icon_smile.gif

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 5

I ended up not being able to check back here before decorating, so I just doweled it to be safe. I tiered the bottom 2, then dowels, then the 3rd layer on a cardboard on top. Worked beautifully, and was very stable.

So, definitely DOWELS in the future icon_smile.gif
Thanks for your replies!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 5

You did the right thing! I think it's better to play it safe, esp. if you are transporting a cake somewhere. You don't want all your hard work to go sliding off! Besides, dowelling is a very easy & doesn't take much time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%