I've Been Snubbed!

Decorating By melxcloud Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 11:09am by da_goof

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 2:13pm
post #121 of 194

Please don't keep us in suspense any longer! What happened to this cake?

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:25pm
post #122 of 194

I hope they aren't expecting you to volunteer for it, that's poor planning on their part and I really hope that they do ask you to make one!

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:05pm
post #123 of 194

This has been an incredible post!!! What a rude lady...but haven't we all met someone like that!!! I'm new to this cake thing, but I am learning how much hard work...including some blood, sweat and tears, goes into every cake I make.

May the Great Cake God look down upon her cake....and sit on it!!

Don't you let her borrow your pans!!!

Can I get a BIG CHOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jessg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessg Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:18pm
post #124 of 194

Come on PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TELL US WHAT HAPPEN I WANNA KNOW HOW IT TURN OUT!!!!

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:32pm
post #125 of 194

Listen ladies...one of my dearest friend told me when I first started doing this and did a wedding cake for my cousin's daughter for free and she scolled me terribly!! Even when you are starting out always, always, always atleast as for your cost of supplies if asked to make something. Not only does it show your confidence but it shows professionalism!! Do I do it? Of course not!!

But I do believe it is good advice!!!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 9:17pm
post #126 of 194

i am cathing up on the soap operah. (spelling?) or should i say "cake operah"

cant wait to see what happens to this nit-whitt on her wedding day.
might i just add that with the
$15,000 she is spending on the dinner, i could build the extra bedroom in my house, or a garage, or buy a new car, or a whole bunch of cake supplies, or open my own business for that matter. i just dont get it.

but i wish i could attend this wedding, even as a worker. could you video tape the dinner, the bride and bride party, the elebrate decorations, and the sad sad little cake for us? please?
i cant wait to know about her wedding.

thanks all for the good laughs today!
melody

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 11:52pm
post #127 of 194

I am still reading through this huge thread, but I thought I would maybe suggest you be nice to the poor bride (unless the cake has already been made?) and send her this link:

http://www.twinkies.com/twinkiewedding.asp#ribbon

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 11:55pm
post #128 of 194

loriemoms

That is to cute

Molly2

loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 11:57pm
post #129 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

loriemoms

That is to cute

Molly2

hehehe. Hey, they look easy and gee, she could really stick to a tight budget! How much could 200 twinkies cost anyway?

antcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antcat Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:12am
post #130 of 194

Wow, that really hit home for me, too. I have done so many cakes for free I could retire off the money I "would have" made if I'd charged. I even went so far as to make a wedding cake for a collegue for free because I felt bad charging her...she was very picky (as brides are) and it ended up costing me a fortune. I didn't even get a thank you note from her! Someone told me that her mother told her she should get me a gift at the very least, but she chose not to I guess. She said she loved the cake, but...???? Also, the worst snub I ever got was from a woman who had me make a cake for a friend of hers that I copied a picture of her horse from a photograph (this was before the days of computer generated photos on cakes) and did all the different shadings, etc and it took me forever! She came to pick it up and I charged her for the ingredients and a very nominal fee. She made a comment about it being expensive and I told her that if I'd charged by the hour I'd have made less than 50 cents an hour...she said....drumroll....."well, you are home all day anyway, what else do you have to do?" I had two new babies at the time and I wanted to throw the cake right in her face! Sorry, I guess I went on a rant, too! Chin up, cake decorating is a thankless job sometimes....

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:17am
post #131 of 194

antcat-

RU kidding me? What else do you have to do? icon_eek.gif

This moron didn't have kids, right? You should have clocked her. (oops, not supposed to say stuff like that....martial artists are non-violent tapedshut.gif )

But I'm definitely thinking it.

antcat Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:40am
post #132 of 194

Thanks, I'm thinking it right along with you! thumbs_up.gificon_evil.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:30am
post #133 of 194

To antcat.......OMG!!!! That would have been a smash cake in one second flat had she said that to me!!!!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 1:44pm
post #134 of 194

That twinkie cake idea was great! I'd hate to see her try to play w/ fondant though on those little ones though...

As for "oh you don't have anything to do, you stay at home...."

I'd have to say to her- "oh no, I have nothing to do - but take care of the kids, pick up the dry cleaning, grocery shop, make lunch, dinner, do the dishes, pick up so and so and take them to ...., clean the house, do the laundry..... I mean, with all the time I have left in my day - I should have just enough time to catch maybe 5-6 hours of sleep and start over tomorrow! But thanks so much for belittling what I do - now I'd like to have that cake back please b/c I'm sure YOU must have enough time to whip up another one, right? I mean, all you do is go to work for 8 hours a day and come home, right?? ...." icon_lol.gif

(and I don't even have kids or stay at home - I have 2 jobs right now - but I certainly understand that "staying at home" IS a full time job!!! I've watched my own mother do it!)

loriemoms Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:45pm
post #135 of 194

When I was a stay at home mom back in the 80's, (arggg showing my age!) it was very unusual, as all the women my age were working on their carears. Whenever I went to a function at my husband's office, they would ask what I do for a living. I got sick of the wierd looks I got when I said I was a housewife. (Stay at Home Mom was not a term back then..you were a housewife!) so I started telling them "I am working to better the future of our country and our community as a whole, by providing support and safety to children, in an environment of love, nuturing and education. I also am a chemist, a nurse, a nutrionist, consumer expert, and cook. I work 12-15 hours a day, 7 days a week, and the pay is low, but the rewards are great."

They were always afraid to say anything else. I went back to work after 12 years of raising my three girls, and it is a vacation compared to those days! (although I loved it, and my girls are now women and have children of their own, and I love it even more!!) Even working a full time job now and doing bakery part time, I still am no where near as exhausted as I was back then! I don't know how you find the time to bake with young children around! Kudos to all you home moms!!!!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:32pm
post #136 of 194

Oh Bridezilla will definitely be eating crow when she comes to that point in married life (if the relationship lasts through the wedding LOL) if and when they decide to have their own kids and she tries to figure out how to do it all. What goes around most definitely comes around.

In the mean time I'm dying to know when the wedding is and if we can set up a live feed webcam icon_lol.gif I will suspend my cable TV- this is just too exciting LOL

da_goof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
da_goof Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:31am
post #137 of 194

When is this wedding the date we have never heard of when it is or is this just a topic to get us going lol

antcat Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 4:14am
post #138 of 194

I am in the middle of reading this saga and like everyone else, I am captivated. This is better than the movies! I cannot believe how rude a person can be and then have the ***** to ask for advice and to borrow stuff???? How clueless can she possibly be?

On another note, Ninaross asked about getting money up front for cakes....I've done cakes for milleniums it seems...(OK slight exaggeration...only slight though) and have been trying to bow out of the "business" for a couple years following cancer treatment that completely turned my priorities in a different direction. I no longer do cakes professionally, but can't seem to get family and friends to accept that I no longer want to make everyone's cakes (free or otherwise)....Just last week a longtime friend begged me to do a cake for her mother's retirement and insisted that no other bakery or baker will do. I finally agreed, and while she agreed to pay "anything I want to charge" I told her I'd just have her pay costs. I have tried this many times and it's always awkward doing the money exchange. It's difficult to say that I used 9 eggs, 2 cups of oil, etc at x number of dollars, blah, blah...so I finally got wise and told her to buy everything and I'd bake and decorate it. SHE can figure out if she wants to give me 9 eggs or just hand me a dozen, a couple cups of oil or just buy me a bottle, etc. She was very agreeable with the arrangement and told me she had NO IDEA that so many ingredients went into the making of a cake. The things to purchase from a cake dec. store (piping gel, etc.) require a special trip and she was soooo much more appreciative of what goes in to the making of a decorated cake.

I have decided that from now on this is how I will handle reimbursement for making cakes for friends and family. I have had people buy me gift certificates or gifts in thanks for helping them out. I think that is a great way to let someone know how much you appreciate a service when they don't charge you a "retail" price.

Sorry to get so wordy...it's what I do... icon_rolleyes.gif

Now back to the wedding cake blues...can't wait to see how this ends! Thanks for the entertainment! I am new to this forum and am enjoying the hell out of it!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #139 of 194

I also have been following this topic. I have to say, when I got married (5 years ago), I didn't make cakes. I think I made one cake! I even had to look back at my wedding pictures to see what my cake looked like! Now, I've been making cakes for almost 4 years...I started when my first son was born. Honestly, before I started making cakes I had NO idea what went into it. I had NO idea the time and money it would/could consume! I think people that don't "do" cakes really have no clue. I just wanted to share my 2 cents about how the general public (meaning non cake makers) really don't understand the effort and skill it takes. I think she will be in for a rude awakening when she attempts such a task! Please keep us posted.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 4:29am
post #140 of 194

What happened to the original poster?? We need an update!!! We at least need to know when the wedding is so that we can know when to expect an update.... or a conclusion to the saga icon_smile.gif

antcat Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:29am
post #141 of 194

Ya, me again...the wordy one...
I just wanted to say that I did make my own wedding cake for 250 people (23 yrs ago...yikes!...I was just a baby of course... icon_wink.gif) and I was so stressed about getting it done and everything else involved with the wedding that half way through it I had to ask my sister (who also decorated at the time) to finish it for me....that is with having some experience making wedding cakes (ok, so I was a talented baby icon_lol.gif ). I can't even begin to imagine this ditz trying to make a cake for 450 people with no experience and thinking she can pull it off. My guess is that she will end up hiring a hi-end bakery to do it and have to fork over plenty of dough (or would that be batter, in this case?) icon_lol.gif
An excellent lesson in the consequences of boorish and belittling behavior.
("Slop some frosting on", my a**!) Good luck sister! icon_biggrin.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:45pm
post #142 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

What happened to the original poster?? We need an update!!! We at least need to know when the wedding is so that we can know when to expect an update.... or a conclusion to the saga icon_smile.gif

I sent her private message and asked what was going on but have received no answer. I think we have been in suspense long enough. She didn't say when the wedding was but for some reason I thought it was soon.

Diane

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:25pm
post #143 of 194

I sent her a PM as well lionladydi........have not heard anything! Maybe she will not keep us in suspense much longer! I want to see pictures!! LOL!

da_goof Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:32pm
post #144 of 194

Hello

Not to sound rude but maybe she has started this to get us going and have something to do. cause no one has heard from here and what is going on sence last month maybe it is something to get us going lol. or maybe she is gone.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:40pm
post #145 of 194

It's Summer...maybe she's on vacation.
I'd probably go on vacation too, to get away from that Bridezilla! icon_razz.gif

Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately, not one of mine when dealing with obnoxious, condescending, self-centered people. icon_twisted.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:41pm
post #146 of 194

Okay, I couldn't read all of these! But maybe you've heard this before: Maybe they were hoping you would offer, and now feel it's too late... so, they're going to end-up getting store-bought & then they're going to REGRET it & the Bride is going to wonder why they didn't ask you to make the cake! I went through the same thing, and ended-up getting 2 orders in the end (after I quit the job actually)... which didn't even get me to break-even for how much I had GIVEN them. So, stop giving them away - always at least get your cost out of it, unless of course it's a wedding gift, or a donation. People expect too much for free when they're calling for donations, so watch out for that too!

da_goof Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:19am
post #147 of 194

ok any one heard about the wedding yet and the cake she made or got be glad when summer is over so she can come back and tell us. Oh no i just had a bad though what if she does not have internet or a computer any more and we never know what happened.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:46am
post #148 of 194

Don't say that da_goof! lol

You guys got my heart all in a flutter, I saw that this post was bumped and thought maybe she was back....

...I'll go back to my corner and continue to wait.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:06am
post #149 of 194

Man, I kept reading and reading. It's an hour past my bed time and I am tired...but I just kept reading thinking that all my reading would pay off in the end.........but it hasn't. Now I'm sad, and I will probably not be able to sleep cause all I can think about is that.......home-made-lomp-sided-box mix-canned frosted-leaning-cake with no support system, cause who know's what that means when your new to decorating cake.....that never was.

Maybe this is like reading the book then watching the movie. You just wish you never watched the movie cause the characters looked so much better in your head after reading the book.

Guys, this could be a blessing in disguise for all of us. Close your eyes, see the cake? what do you think??

chrysb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrysb Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 9:40pm
post #150 of 194

Can't wait to hear what happen with the shower cake. Did they have one or something else? Chrysb
P.S. I have had that happen, at ever place I've worked. I've only made a couple, that were paid for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%