Is $745.00 Too Much For A 3 Day Cake Decorating Class?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 21 Jun 2006 , 9:56am by jmt1714

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 39

What do you all think? Here is the link to the class with Kerry Vincent. It's here in So. Calif, just a few miles from where I live. It seems really expensive to me but I'm not super savy on who's who in the cake world and good classes are not easy to come by. The price is $100.00 more than the website shows.

http://www.caljavaonline.com/classes1.htm

38 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 39

It is a little steep, but Kerry Vincent is a very talented decorator. She does stunning work. Her book is called Romantic Wedding Cakes.. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/store/romantic-wedding-cakes-p-142.html I've heard she won't even turn on her oven for less than $2,000 for a wedding cake. If you can afford it, I say go for it. You'll probably learn a lot!! Does that price include everything?? Supplies and meals?

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 39

WOW!!! Kerry Vincent is one to see that's for sure!!!! She organizes alot of international and national cake shows like the Tulsa Oklahoma Sugar Arts Show!!!!!!!! I would love too see her but that is awfully expensive. Although I'd love to learn from her in person, I'd have to really weigh whether I could learn the same thing through her wedding cake book and other books by other decorators versus seeing her in person for that kind of money! Research what you would come away with besides maybe pictures and memories and decide if it really is worth it.

Let us know if you attend!!!!

Amy

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 39

Your title is deceiving. The cost includes room and meals so it's probably not too much. Beings you live so close, would you have to pay that price?

I paid $25 per course to take the Wilton classes and I feel like I learn more just practicing on my own. CC is a real book of knowledge. I learn something on here every time I tune in. Unfortunately I have been so busy with other things that I haven't been able to get on here in weeks.

Are you wanting to take classes to become a professional or just to do cakes for your own family? That would be a factor to consider before shelling out that much money.

Just my opinion.

Diane

lionladydi Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 39

Just reread the site and I see that price is without the cost of the rooms. Sorry. Does seem like a lot. I'd weigh the advantages and disadvantages very carefully.

Diane

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 39

Who are we to complain about the cost of training by people who have the skills we want? It's all about the law of supply and demand - there are only a certain number of decorators who can teach us certain things and therefore they get to set their price and for those who want to take the lessons from them - the price is worth it. My husband has told me that our entire next tax refund is going to go towards me taking classes I want from the teachers who can give it to me.

This is my passion, my dream, and eventually hopefull a full time career - the training is invaluable to me.

Rachel

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 39

I would LOVE to take classes from so many people - I've looked at the Wilton School classes and there's so many I would love to take - but cost and location keeps me from doing a lot of them. I'm in KY and there aren't a lot of class opportunities here. There is one person who is very experienced, but she charges $25 an hour w/ a 6 hour minimum. I think tha'ts correct - so it's $150 each time - and she only works on like M, W, F during the day - tough to do when you have another job! I'd love to go work with others but when you add up the flight or drive there, the hotel room, food, supplies, the class, etc. - it gets to be incredibly expensive. If you have someone close by that you can take classes from, think about how much you're saving on not driving or flying somewhere to take classes or having to get a hotel room. I think you're lucky & you should go for it!

You may also want to ask about their refund policy - if it is a 3 day class you may want to ask if you decide you are in over your head, or if you already know the stuff, if you can skip the next two days and get your moeny back for those days. Just a thought.

Oops last thing - where are these classes located? I couldn't find out on the website.

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 39

Honestly, I think that is too much money for just 3 days. I had her book from the library and I wouldn't spend that much for 3 days. She does nice work but $745...I would have to pass.

PennySue Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 39

Diane, I certainly did not mean to deceive! That's why I put the link down. And as for complaining, never! I just was asking for advice as I did not know if this was a good thing or not. Most of the decorators I would love to learn from are back east or in the UK. This seems ideal as it is so close and Kerry is a celebrated designer. I am hoping to land a job with a high-end bakery at some point. The more I can learn the better.

I put the question out because there are so many of you who have been at this for so much longer than I have and I wanted advice.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 39

I don't think you can compare learning from a book with learning from someone in person... I've been fortunate enough to take classes from many great decorators and I cannot begin to tell you how much I've learned. There are just some things you can't get from a book. If there's an opportunity to take a class from someone who does work like Kerry and you can afford it, go for it!! You will not be dissapointed!! thumbs_up.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 39

To be honest with you, just because you were lucky enough to be able to have a book of your cake designs published and you were picked as an award winner at the ICES show does not make you a good teacher! I have learned so much from all of my cake 'instructors' on this board than I have from any book that I have looked at/read.

$745.00 for a 4 day class???? Do you get to keep all of the equipment? Are the meals gourmet and served on fine China? How large are the classes? Are they keeping them small enough to guarantee enough attention per student?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 39

I agreee with TamiAZ - I am a "visual" learner - when I see something done, I can "get it" so much easier than from a book. If you can afford it - I would definately jump at the chance. There are not a lot of people who get that kind of opportunity ~ and more important there are not a whole lot of decorators of that calibur out there teaching. I would GO FOR IT!

PennySue Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 39

I am a visual learner, too. It's the only way that things make sense to me. I have lots of books and I have learned so much from them, from you all and then just practice, practice, practice. My DH says to go for it.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:17pm
post #14 of 39

You would spend more on a vacation, so if this is your idea of a vacation (it would be mine!), go for it!!! If you can afford it, why not do it? Let us know what you learn if you go.

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 39

WHEW! Too rich for my blood!!!
However, I consider myself a "pro" at justifying things, especially investments such as this one... And that's exactly what this is- it's a business investment! You are investing $745 into your baking/cake-decorating talent. Especially since you want to work at a high end bakery someday, I think it would be very important for your career to go to a workshop hosted by a celebrity cake decorator!
Also, what a blessing to have such a supportive husband! Let us know how it goes! icon_smile.gif

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 39

I really think it depends on what you feel you can learn VS the $$. Last year, I paid a couple hundred bucks to take a 2 hour class with Alton Brown (the Godd Eats guy on Food Network) because he RARELY teaches and I thought it was going to be a once in a lifetime thing. The couple of hundred bucks didnt include the rental car, the drive from NJ to Atlanta or the lodging, or the food, or anything else. But I did it because I knew that I would benefit from it and the class skills I would often.

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 39

If you are planning on making a living at it and want to get that job with the high end bakery, and you can afford it - Go For It!

I too need to be shown. I can't always figure it out through pictures in books.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:33pm
post #18 of 39

Seems a little expensive to me (but it also includes ingredients, equipment and meals) close to 215.00 per day.

Also, it appears from her slide show that there could be close to 14-18 people in the class.

I would want a smaller class size for that kind of money. It may be harder to get your questions answered and the personal attention you may want.

But if you think it would be satisfying, I'd say go for it.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:19pm
post #19 of 39

Pennysue, I am planning on taking that class too. a little worried becauae I am not up to that caliber. have you registered already. Are you going to California Cake Camp?

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:24pm
post #20 of 39

Look, if any of you want to go you can save money by staying at my house. I am serious. We can put up 2 people.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:32pm
post #21 of 39

I see it as an investment in your future as a decorator and think no cost is too much as long as you can personally afford it. I havent actually tallied all my cost for cake camp but know it will be several thousand dollars. I wouldnt think it too costly if you are looking to make a living at your craft.

ElectricHoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricHoney Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:42pm
post #22 of 39

Just my 2 cents...
I was fortunate to be able to attend the 2005 Cake Show at the Texas Culinary Academy last year and Kerry Vincent gave a showcase demonstration. In the 45 minutes she spoke and demonstrated, she covered 3 cakes with numerous techniques, made a pair of gloves entirely out of sugar, talked about recipes, demostrated several tablescapes and fielded questions from the audience. She is engaging and talented and willing to share her talents with the masses. If you can afford it, I say go and prepare to learn more than you can remember, be inspired by her originality and amazed at her talent. thumbs_up.gif

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 39

I can tell you from my own experience that taking classes with a master is well worth the money especially since you have a specific goal in mind and learning from a master will help you get there. I took a class with Scott Clark Woolley just as an activity to do with a friend. Well, I wound up taking 5 classes with him-all totalled just about what you would pay for this class with Kerry Vincent. I would do it all again because it helped me to be able to understand other techniques being described because I had some hands on experience. The learning doesn't stop once the class ends. Good luck to you.

lionladydi Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 6:41pm
post #24 of 39

PennySue,

I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to deceive us. Please accept my apology if I sounded mean about it. That wasn't my intention at all. My first thought was that it was a lot of money compared to the $25 courses that I took. Like the rest have said, "If you can afford it, go for it." Sounds like your hubby is all for it. I wish you all the luck in the world in the classes and in reaching your goal of landing a job with a high end bakery.

Diane

PennySue Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:00pm
post #25 of 39

Diane, no apology necessary!!! That's the problem with communicating via type. It is a lot of money compaired to the $60. per class (4 of them) I've spent so far. But I think it is worth it.

Fearlessbaker, I'm registering today. This will be fun!

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:32pm
post #26 of 39

YOU GO GIRL!!! Good luck and have a great time. Be sure to let the rest of know how it all turned out.

PennySue Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:36pm
post #27 of 39

You got it!

WebDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WebDiva Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:38pm
post #28 of 39

IMO - To me it would be worth it. I recently took a 2 day fondant class with Colette Peters. It cost around $500, but I learned so much. Initially I wasn't going to sign up because I thought my skills weren't at that level, but after speaking with the school where the class was taking place I decided to go ahead after all. I'm sooooo glad I took the class and I felt that it was definitely worth the money. I have already applied the techniques I learned to several cakes I have done since then.

I think whether it would be worth it to you at this time would depend on whether you think that the added skills would be a good business investment (like someone already said). I probably wouldn't take the class if I was just intending on doing it for a hobby (unless I had a lot of disposable income! lol)

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 8:02pm
post #29 of 39

Books are great, but you can never determine the thickness or flexibility of the medium from a picture. Kerry's books explain a lot about draping and swags and lace work, which when I try to duplicate, I get flat folds...... consistency of the gum paste is just never right. Just actually seeing someone work with fondant or gum paste and feel the texture, the thicknes and to watch as the Master works with it would be priceless. You will always regret not going, I can hear it in your voice. You must go.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 8:06pm
post #30 of 39

Totally worth it if you are going to use the techniques she teaches you.

When you break it down, The price is not even 2 average sized wedding cakes but you will have the knowledge you gain from the classes forever. Who knows, because of a technique you learn you may be able to charge more than you do now per serving, and that is for the rest of your career. You could potentially make thousands of dollars in additional profits just from taking the classes.

And for the disclaimer... No.. I am not Kerry Vincent, nor am I am member of her family. I don't know Kerry Vincent and Kerry Vincent has not granted me any compensation to boost class registrations.

As always your mileage may vary, Caveat emptor. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain material some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight, pets, and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. On approved credit only. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries are not included. Action figures sold separately.

icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%