Southeast Michigan Cake Club : Who's Interested?

Decorating By czyadgrl Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm by cupcakecole

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:42pm
post #31 of 68

Casual memberships are always best. With our cake club, there are only four of us (all CCers!! icon_lol.gif) But we keep it small because none of us have a big house. It's sounding to me on this thread like there is quite a bit of interest already.

I say we take an informal poll:

1. Who wants to be part of this cake club (this will help determine how many prospective members there are)

2. Where do you live? (This will help determine central location.)

3. Would you be willing to contribute to the renting of a hall for our meetings?

4. How often would you like to meet?

Let's hear how these questions are answered by those who have expressed interest and that will give us a better starting point. icon_smile.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:56pm
post #32 of 68

I just love seeing all these fellow Michiganers.

New Boston, MI

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 23 May 2007 , 10:05pm
post #33 of 68

I would like to join,

I'm in Madison Heights and if I need to contribute to a Hall or rental place I have no problem with that.

If it's going to be a large group once a month might be good to start and then maybe smaller groups that live close to each other can set up their own meetings more often if they choose.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:24pm
post #34 of 68

I'm in Westland/ Livonia area. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Quote:

If it's going to be a large group once a month might be good to start and then maybe smaller groups that live close to each other can set up their own meetings more often if they choose

I think that's a great idea! I don't mind contributing fro rental. We also might consider changing the location each meeting. (Or maybe not!)

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:53pm
post #35 of 68

Hi! I live in Lambertville. in Monroe County & I'm definetly in! thumbs_up.gif I would contribute to a hall, but if we could find a church that would let us it might be less expensive. I'm sure mine would let us but I live about 5 miles from the Toledo, Ohio line so I'm not centrally located. icon_sad.gif I would meet once a month or whatever was decided upon. If we did it as a membership group, couldn't we use the dues for the rental money? Just a thought!

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:56pm
post #36 of 68

To answer wonderbuns questions.

1. I'm in, and my daughter too!!
2. I'm in Marine City
3. I'm willing to contribute- (any one belong to VFW, FOE or another organization, maybe cut costs that way)
4. How often? doesn't matter to me. But as I said before, my work schedule! I just know this will be planned for a Saturday. I work every Saturday from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, so if you plan for Saturdays, I will be out.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:07am
post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakesmom

If we did it as a membership group, couldn't we use the dues for the rental money? Just a thought!

That's what I was thinking, but I'm opposed to having only one person oversee the funds -- too much of a temptation. On the other hand committees aren't much good either. Another hurdle to overcome... icon_rolleyes.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:34am
post #38 of 68

After this weekend you may re-think. Gas is suppose to go over $4

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:38am
post #39 of 68

oh! wow I missed a lot in a few days! sorry, I didn't abandon intentionally!

When I posted the idea I was thinking totally casual, no dues per se, but I did think about the possible need to rent a place and how that may incur costs.

I noticed the cake group link that I posted earlier in the thread has dues of $12 for 6 months and then a pretty nominal fee for attending each meeting. I really was thinking of something completely free to be a "member" or notified of meetings. Just because I know we all start out with the best intentions but don't always end up participating, I would hate for anyone to pay dues and not end up attending ever.

What I had pictured in my head was a casual gathering every so often, where we can learn from each other, and talk about cake (because I find the rest of the world doesn't particularly enjoy discussing the differences between cake flour and regular flour and the ins and outs of shortening! LOL ;p )

Anyway, something casual would be nice. Maybe from the people who join, we can browse each others pics and submit at "how did you do that?" list that can be used for jumping=off topics of each get-together. Or maybe someone can volunteer to teach certain things that they're good at. Or we can just pick something to discuss and play around with.

To answer the questions, great idea btw!
1. In for sure, and may have a friend who would come sometimes
2. St. Clair Shores
3. Will contribute if it's reasonable
4. Try to meet monthly?

czyadgrl Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:54am
post #40 of 68

Ahhh ... I now see why there is a fee with the other group. It's a charge from the website that holds the web page. ...

I've set up a Yahoo group page. If you're interested, sign up here and we'll go from there!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/micake

I have it set up to be fairly private right now so that just anyone surfing yahoo groups won't be able to join or post messages. So for now, if when you send a request to sign up for the group, put in your CC screen name.

donyell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donyell Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:29am
post #41 of 68

I'm in for formal or informal set-up. I think that if we do a organized monthly sharing,meaning that we have an agenda for that time spent. Because of gas prices I would hate to ride across town and learn nothing. Then for people who are more local they can meet in between the monthly meetings. I think rotating mediators are a great way to share. I also think that if people have to pay dues they take it more seriously.

I'm new to this and I'm excited about learning from people who share the same interest. I want to learn and network. If we could come together in person like we do online it would be an awesome thing!

Count me in for whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

Donyell

donyell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donyell Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:34am
post #42 of 68

I know it's too early I put the wrong symbols..........LOL! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I'm ready to doecorate thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Donyell

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:40am
post #43 of 68

I just stumbled on this post and would love to join in. I'm in the Eastpoint/Warren area and would certainly be willing to share in the cost of hall rental or pay dues. Monthly meetings w/ agenda sounds good to me too. Thanks.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:51am
post #44 of 68

i'm in!! I'm from berkley. there's a vfw(i think it's vfw) right down the street that's only $90 and you get free pop....not that that's a central location, just saying there are places out there that might not be too expensive. and i think changing the meeting place is not a bad idea...until we find a good central meeting place, or something that fits our needs.
i'm in

kneadacookie Posted 24 May 2007 , 11:57am
post #45 of 68

i just sent a message to the yahoo page

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #46 of 68

To clarify my thinking -- I was thinking the "dues" would go strictly toward the rental of a facility for us to meet at. But my concern on that is that the facility wouldn't be dealing with 25 of us, they would be dealing with one or a small committee representing the 25 (a loose number for discussion purposes.) I hope that makes more sense. Isn't this exciting?? icon_lol.gif

czyadgrl Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:24pm
post #47 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

To clarify my thinking -- I was thinking the "dues" would go strictly toward the rental of a facility for us to meet at. But my concern on that is that the facility wouldn't be dealing with 25 of us, they would be dealing with one or a small committee representing the 25 (a loose number for discussion purposes.) I hope that makes more sense. Isn't this exciting?? icon_lol.gif

Oh yes! Exactly!

And to clarify my post with our link, there is no fee just to sign up and join the mailing lists and have access to this group page. So everyone interested sign in!

I'm trying to make the page useful in other ways too, with a list of local cake supply stores and web site links, information and calendar events as I find them. So check in often! Check out the tabs on the left side of the page for this sort of stuff.

I really hope this is going to be a great experience for everyone!

I do think we should try to vary the days, times and locations of meetings to accomodate different schedules, etc. For sure.

lindseymilam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseymilam Posted 24 May 2007 , 3:29pm
post #48 of 68

I am totally into this! I think the yahoo site is a great idea to get us all together, I'm going there next. I would prefer to meet like, every other month, because schedules can be so tight. And I would also prefer to pay only towards a rental hall if necessary, rather than dues. I would be more than happy to help organize or whatever, and I have a very big barn with space for a lot of people if we ever wanted to meet there. I realize it's far away for most people on here (I live in Ida, near Toledo, OH), but if we move the location each time, it might benefit some. Or maybe, for those of you in the Lambertville/Toledo area, we could do a smaller one even in the area. I work in Bloomfield Hills, so I go through almost every town where we might meet, but I wouldn't want to drive all the way up here on a day off due to the price of gas. These are my thoughts.

kidsnurse Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:04pm
post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Isn't this exciting?? icon_lol.gif

Yes! I'm so geeked! Sheesh, I sound like my 15 yr old daughter...

czyadgrl Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:19pm
post #50 of 68

9 members so far!

czyadgrl Posted 25 May 2007 , 2:10pm
post #51 of 68

The link for the group site again is

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/micake

Pass along to your cake fanatic friends, invite them too, they will need the direct link.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:24pm
post #52 of 68

I'm interested in the club---I'm in Farmington Hills and would be OK with the dues to pay for a meeting place. A once a month meeting would be good and if others want to do smaller groups at other times that's good too !!

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:26pm
post #53 of 68

What's the status of the club so far?

kidsnurse Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 7:58pm
post #54 of 68

Haven't heard any new news lately...

kneadacookie Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:00pm
post #55 of 68

i'm finding the yahoo site a little hard to figure out. i thought i had posted but i don't see anything with my name on it. am i gonna have to get my kids to figure it out again...lol. i'm definately in still

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:00am
post #56 of 68

so nice to see fellow michiganders from this side of mich. thumbs_up.gif
I'm from Sterling Heights

kneadacookie Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #57 of 68

i think it might be a good idea just to set some kind of meeting. we could just have a get together to see everyone face to face, maybe have a discussion on what kinds of things we'd like to get out of the "club". if we're waiting until we find something that works for everyone, we'll never find anything and a year from now we'll be saying "so, what's up with the club?"

kneadacookie Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:48pm
post #58 of 68

anybody??? hello??? anything yet???

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:32pm
post #59 of 68

Sounds like it might be a flash in the pan... icon_cry.gif

Metabea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metabea Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #60 of 68

doh!! icon_cry.gif I can't be the only Michigander from the west side here? Muskegon to be precise. But anyhow good luck with your club if you've gotten it off the ground. icon_smile.gif maybe you could make it a quarterly event. That way you can catch all the holidays to discuss and share ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%