Why Did I Do Wrong?? Cake Sticking...

Decorating By solidezca Updated 21 Jun 2006 , 4:47pm by m0use

solidezca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solidezca Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 12

From Colette Peters' book : Colette's Cakes : The Art of Cake Decorating
I prepared the chocolate cake recipe and I followed the recipe step by step... I even put extra cake release on my pans and the cake still got stuck to the pan. The recipe says to let the cakes cool on the pan for 20 minutes after removing them from the oven, which I even timed to make sure I got the 20 minutes, then I removed them from the pans onto the cake racks and bam!!!! both cakes were stuck at the bottom of the pan icon_cry.gif
the cake was very moist and spongy, so I kind of scraped off the piece from the pan and re-arrange it on top of each cake! Is there something I am doing wrong here?
On a different matter, I got me a deal last weekend... a lady sold me 15 pans for 50 dollars, and some of them were the wonder pan, the 3d mini ball, the 3d easter egg among other character pans! I did my math and I ended up paying about $3.25 per pan approximately!!! I am so excited I can't wait to start making more cakes if my 2 year old let me!!! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 12

I believe less is best. I put a thin coating of pan grease on all my pans. If you over coat them they get gummy film on them.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

I believe less is best. I put a thin coating of pan grease on all my pans. If you over coat them they get gummy film on them.

I have found that sticking can be a hit and miss proposition, so I now ALWAYS put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. I don't like doing it, and it's one more thing to do, but it's the lesser of the two evils. I'd rather cut paper than re-bake or glue a cake!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 12

I line the bottoms of all my pans with parchment paper as well as using cake release. After they've cooled about 15 min I run a spatula around the edges and turn them cleanly out onto the cooling rack. The parchment peels right off after the cake is completely cooled. When I'm not going to start icing right away I wipe any crumbs out of my pan and turn the cake back into the pan and cover with plastic wrap. Leaving the parchment on continues to prevent sticking to the pan. Good luck!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 12

I have never had a cake stick ever and only use parchment on shallow things like crumb cake. Crazy how each person has different results. To each their own I guess!

halfbaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfbaked Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 12

I used to use parchment paper until someone suggested plain old regular waxed paper. I tried it, and ended up with the same results as parchment paper. Since then I always use waxed paper (super easy and alot less expensive than parchment paper) and I never have a problem. It really works great if you want to compress your cake while in the pan (for a super flat surface) so it won't stick while cooling.

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 1:06am
post #7 of 12

I've always meant to try waxed paper for the same reason-COST!! Have done the parchment bit but like to avoid cutting anything up in addition to all the other steps whenever possible! Has anyone tried the Crisco non-stick spray for baking? I got up the courage to give something other than my homemade cake release a try (which has always worked pretty well)-the spray was quicker & it's really worked nicely-thought the couple of bucks I paid for it was o.k., too. As for sticking, the only time I really had trouble, I wasn't taking my pans directly off the stove top when cooling on racks-not sure whatever possessed me to leave them there. Of course this was for a wedding cake so multiple cakes fell apart & stuck as I tried to turn them out-nearly lost my mind. I'm sure I saw some very chubby squirrels barreling around my yard that summer!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 1:23am
post #8 of 12

I use that Crisco spray, and I love it.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 12

I used to use Pam but I found that my cakes seemed a little crispy. So now I use parchment paper and homemade cake release. Have yet to have a problem ever. Also I only leave my cakes in their pans 10 minutes at most to cool down before flipping onto a cooling rack.
Waxed paper works great too, but ONLY when you are using on the bottom of cake pans. If you use it under your cookies when baking, the wax paper has a tendency to burn really bad.
I use parchment paper to line my cookie sheets with now and I don't have a problem any more with overbrowned bottoms with anything I bake on a cookie sheet.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 12

Can you share your 'recipes' for homemade cake release and if you premake it how you store it.
THANKS!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake

Can you share your 'recipes' for homemade cake release and if you premake it how you store it.
THANKS!

1C crisco, 3/4C oil, 1C flour. I mix them really well (whitish color) and store it in an airtight container in my cabinet. I'll never use anything else! Cakes come out every time, and are never crunchy around the edges!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 12

1 part flour
1 part shortening (I use generic and it works just fine)
1-2 parts vegetable oil.
I mix in enough vegetable oil until it's liquidy like the stuff wilton sells for $2-3 per bottle. It makes alot if you use 1 cup measurements, I made mine a year ago and I am just now getting to the end of the supply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%