What Cutters To Use For Delphinium Gumpaste Flowers?

Decorating By tanyacakes Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm by mpetty

tanyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyacakes Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone ever make/attempted to make delphinium gumpaste flowers? What cutter did you use for the petal? Is it similar enough to another flower petal cutter to use? Is there a website which sells it? I already checked scott clark wooley's website and did not find a cutter for it among his cutters for sale.
thanks.
www.tanyacakes.com

10 replies
CauldronCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CauldronCakeBaker Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #2 of 11

I know this is an old post, but did you ever find a cutter for making Delphinium gumpaste flowers? Im going to need some for a wedding cake in July and I need to get started on them soon. What did you end up doing? Because Im not finding much either in cutters or ready made flowers. Thanks!

Carmelo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmelo Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 11

I am also interested. Delphiniums are my wedding flower for my own wedding cake and I'm very curious on how to make them.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 11

I Googled delphiniums and came up with photos of varieties that looked fairly different from each other, so it's kind of hard to say. I would think you could use rose petal cutters for some of the varieties I saw. I'll bet Scott Clark Woolley has instructions for them somewhere in his books/DVDs.

Carmelo Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 11

I'm going to take it on to make some instructions. I think I can do it. I'll keep you in the loop. Thanks mpetty.

mpetty Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 11

Definitely let us know how it turns out!

Carmelo Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 11

i got in touch with tonya by email. she sent me some pictures of them that are on her website and some instructions. she suggests that you use either a 5 petal cutout or a calyx cutout. shape as necessary. I will definitely post the ones that I do.

Carmelo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 11

Well... you tell me how it looks.
http://www.carmeloricarde.com/delphiniums/

mpetty Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 11

I liked the middle one, too. Just curious, will you be using individual blossoms or wiring a bunch of them up the stalk?

Carmelo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 11

well, i'm making these for my wedding cake. i mostly plan on a white cake with blue hearts here and there and just a few delphiniums for accents. I'll most likely do individual blossoms.

the back of the delphinium is a little weird. imagine a rose with the stalk coming in from the side at a 45 degree angle while the petals carry on.

top left one on this picture
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4751692218_2686ba18ec.jpg

its like they got a mucked up petal. I would like to get the one i'm making as close to real as possible.

mpetty Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 11

That's actually a weird little "tail" on the back of the petal. Maybe you could just pinch the end of the top petal and pull it backward?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%