How Do I Make A Grad Cap

Decorating By bradleysmom Updated 20 Jun 2006 , 4:11am by nicoles0305

bradleysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradleysmom Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hi!
I need to make a graduation cake and I wanted to put a grad cap on it. I was thinking I would use a 4" round pan for the base but I'm not sure about the top. If I make it out of fondant will it get hard enough or do I have to cover something like a piece of cardboard so it will be sturdy enough?

Thanks

6 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to CC! Can't help you with your cap as I have not done one but you can cruise through the galleries, find the graduation cakes, find the ones you like and pm that person. Everyone is so helpful here, you will love it! Best of luck to you!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 7

I've seen many of the mortarboards made with a cardboard cake board covered in fondant. I wanted mine to be edible so I covered a small square cardboard cake board with chocolate candy melts, let it set up until firm ( in freezer for 5 min or so) then gentley popped it off the cardboard and attached it with a dap of buttercream to the top of the mini ball pan cake that I used for the cap part of the hat. Hope that makes sense.
KimAZ

KellieRSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellieRSM Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 7

Hi. I made mine out of candy-melts. For the cap, I "painted" the inside of a bowl. For the mortorboard, I used a rubbermaid lid as my mold. See my pics for an idea. Oh yea, the tassle is fondant. Have fun!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 7

Hi there and welcome....I just finished one made of fondant. It took a day to dry. Simply a square piece for the top. a ball that I flattened on one side for the "button" that holds the tassel. The tassel is also fondant...I actually love making these for some wierd reason. I actually time myself...I'm down to seven minutes from beginning to end. Then for the bottom part I roll out a long fat ribbon of fondant and attached the ends around a round glass and with my pizza cutter I shaped the pointed front and back.

I let that part dry with the glass for support and then I "glued" the top on with a little water....added the button and tassel...painted the tassel with luster dust and vodka and that's it...hope this helped...

bradleysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradleysmom Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 1:12am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for all your feedback! I really appreciate all your help. I can't wait to get started! icon_biggrin.gif

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 4:11am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

I let that part dry with the glass for support and then I "glued" the top on with a little water....added the button and tassel...painted the tassel with luster dust and vodka and that's it...hope this helped...

Just out of curiousity, what does the vodka do?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%