Fabulous Finds! Please Share!

Decorating By marthajo1 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm by subaru

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 52

So I went Yard Saling and thrift store shopping today! I figured maybe some of you like to do it too! Let's see what we find together! Here is my haul for today!

$10.00 total!!!
LL
LL
LL
LL

51 replies
baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #2 of 52

Very cute stuff!! Isn't it more exciting when you go to places like that and find such deals??

I frequent a thrift store in my area and I hit the jackpot one day. Somebody was getting rid of all of their wilton character pans. I ended up getting 16 pans for less than $15!!! There were peole waiting for the employess to restock the shelves and as soon as they did, I snapped up the pans. I was getting dirty looks form some women! Oh well, Ya snooze, ya lose!!

And I also got 25% off my purchase because it was senior citizns day and I brought my dad to get the discount!!

Nobody meess with my and my thrift store shopping!!

marthajo1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:15am
post #3 of 52

Wow! That is great!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:26am
post #4 of 52

tam, that just struck me funny that you took your Dad. Good job.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:30am
post #5 of 52

Great finds. They are having a big neighborhood yard sale this weekend and I hope to find a good deal.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #6 of 52

Good job with the yard sale. Great stuff!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:46am
post #7 of 52

Great finds. I like the cake stand/ cup cake holder.

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:46am
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

tam, that just struck me funny that you took your Dad. Good job.

ROFL! I will take off work on Wednesdays to go to the store and use his senior discount! The cashiers know him, we have gone there for years.

And he doesn't mind, gets him out of the house and gives him something to do (he's retired) thumbs_up.gif

marthajo1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 52

Okay all--Remember to tell us about what you find! Im going out in a few minutes I am hoping to find some magic line pans! icon_lol.gif

marthajo1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 52

Here are today's finds! What do I do with that pan?? Any ideas? not bad for 60 cents for both things!! I can always use more measuring spoons!
LL

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 18 May 2007 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 52

I bought about 50 character cake pans and a set of octogan cake pans which included 12", 10", 8", and 6" pans, from a woman for about $25.00 altogether. I thought that was pretty cool! She also threw in a bunch of cake decorating books from way back but they had some really neat ideas in them. Too bad i'm not talented enough to make anything from them icon_sad.gif

marthajo1 Posted 18 May 2007 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 52

Awesome!! Wow! How come I can't find anything like that!!

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 19 May 2007 , 11:08am
post #13 of 52

I haven't found anything at garage sales but have hit a goldmine at one of our local thrift type stores and the Salvation Army store ~ found quite a few retired Wilton character pans though I don't use them. Actually thinking of putting them on ebay as they are just sitting in storage tubs.

marthajo1 Posted 19 May 2007 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 52

You totally should! Have you seen what they go for! You can even sell them in small lots to make it easier on yourself!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 52

marthajo1- That's a flan pan. You make your cake and use the indented middle to put fruit or whatever you want to top the cake with! Hope that helps!

marthajo1 Posted 19 May 2007 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 52

Can I do anything in besides flan? Like maybe a huge strawberry shortcake?

marthajo1 Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:53pm
post #17 of 52

Okay so I had a dissappointing day today! But I found a few cool things. One thing is missing a screw on ring so I don't know if I will be able to use the plunger thing! But the candy house has huge potential!
LL

rcs Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 52

The flan pan would be great for a huge strawberry shortcake!! I had thought about putting a cream cheese type layer down and put assorted sliced fruits on it, like a fruit pizza. I've had mine for several years, but haven't played with it much.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 20 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 52

Check out the following link. It's not only using a flan pan, but another recipe for cake scraps.

http://www.shavkin.com/MichaelleCakeScrap.htmln

rcs Posted 20 May 2007 , 7:45pm
post #20 of 52

That was a neat website. I'll have to investigate it even further. Hmmm, may need to get that flan pan back out!!!!

marthajo1 Posted 20 May 2007 , 9:43pm
post #21 of 52

One of the tips is a magic tip 95. Does anybody know what to do with it?
LL

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 20 May 2007 , 9:50pm
post #22 of 52

Could that be some kind of funky leaf tip?

My favourite use for my flan pan is to bake brownies in it, then fill it with ice cream and top with sundae toppings. Keep it in the freezer, and then slice and serve with whipped cream! Yummm!

marthajo1 Posted 20 May 2007 , 9:56pm
post #23 of 52

I found this on a site but I would love to see an example...

Quote:
Quote:

Leaf tips, French-style leaf tips, tips with a v-style leaf for quick leaves:

Some suggestions and ideas:
Use for all leaves, borders, garlands, etc.

Chocolate & PB - That brownie idea sounds tasty! Do you smoothe the icecream on top or mound it up or do scoops or what?

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 20 May 2007 , 10:01pm
post #24 of 52

I usually smooth it out, if I'm feeling lazy, but it looks fabulous if you do scoops, especially if they're a smaller size. If it's for show (ie, company) I'll do the scoops.

BTW, my favourite toppings are chocolate fudge, melted peanut butter (so it pours) and assorted mini m&m's and sprinkles. Very colourful!

rcs Posted 20 May 2007 , 10:13pm
post #25 of 52

That does it!! I'm definitely getting my flan pan back out. That sounds so good!!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:20am
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Here are today's finds! What do I do with that pan?? Any ideas? not bad for 60 cents for both things!! I can always use more measuring spoons!

that pan was a mail away freebie from Betty Crocker at least 15 years ago! They used to sell a Black Forest Tart kit. There was a base layer of dense chocolate cake, then in the indention you put chocolate mousse and top it with cherries. Finish with whipped cream stars around the cherries and sprinkle with sliced almonds. It would probably take only about 1/3 of a regular cake mix. This was DH's fave until they stopped selling the kit and I never bothered to figure a recipe the right size for the pan.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:54am
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

that pan was a mail away freebie from Betty Crocker at least 15 years ago! They used to sell a Black Forest Tart kit. There was a base layer of dense chocolate cake, then in the indention you put chocolate mousse and top it with cherries. Finish with whipped cream stars around the cherries and sprinkle with sliced almonds. It would probably take only about 1/3 of a regular cake mix. This was DH's fave until they stopped selling the kit and I never bothered to figure a recipe the right size for the pan.

My parents used to buy them when I was about 10, my dad really liked them.
I haven't found anything at a yard sale but last year my MIL found the old Strawberry Shortcake and a Garfield for me. THe year before my baby sister thought of me when she found a Rainbow Brite pan. My mom finds stuff sometimes but she keeps it because they do stuff with the pans too. My MIL doesn't and she has a standing order to pick up anything she finds because if I have it or don't want it one of my sisters or my mother might.

RositaFresita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RositaFresita Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:56pm
post #28 of 52

Hi Ladies:
My best purchase was at a swap meet. I bought a Cookie Magazine from Better Homes and Gardens (1995) for $.25, it has great recipes. I tried several this paste Christmas which caused me to gain about 10 pounds.

Rosita Fresita

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:02pm
post #29 of 52

Where is the best place to get a diamond impression mat? Also, what is the best method for getting icing onto the sides of a cake?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:07pm
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomommy

what about using one of those jiffy mixes.........I use them all the time when I'm doing a dozen cc's or a mini cc bouquet.....or if I just need a small cake ( when I have a cake craving lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%