How Do You Make The "pool" Look On A Cake?

Decorating By dydemus Updated 21 Jun 2006 , 2:28pm by puzzlegut

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 22

I have a request to do a "pool" cake for a pool party. I see people use piping gel for the water look. I've never used piping gel before. Is it that stuff in the tubes? Do you have to build a well for it in the top of the cake? or just build up a rim with icing? I don't really know where to start!!!

21 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 22

I would like to know the answer to this question as well as I just got the horseshoe pan and want to make a waterslide cake for the kids. Is this the piping gel that comes in the tubs? And do you mix a flavor in it or just straight piping gel? Or is this the colored piping gel already mixed in the tubes? Please advise.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 22

the stuff in the tubes is a like what you need. I have used that too, it gives you the same idea but can be darker then you really want and thats when it's best to use regular piping gel. I prefer the look of colored piping gel... it's in a white tub and is clear. It's easily colored though with the color gels.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 22

thanks! that's what I was confused about

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 22

No, it is done with jello.

Here they are, just click on the cake and they give you detailed instructions on how to create a pool.

http://www.womansday.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=7310

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 22

I just use the regular clear piping gel that comes in a little round container. Then I add a tiny bit of coloring and mix it real well. Works just great. I cut down about an inch deep in my cake and dug that part out so it had an indention more like a real pool rather than water just sitting on top of the cake.

Hope that helps.
KimAZ

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

I would like to know the answer to this question as well as I just got the horseshoe pan and want to make a waterslide cake for the kids. Is this the piping gel that comes in the tubs? And do you mix a flavor in it or just straight piping gel? Or is this the colored piping gel already mixed in the tubes? Please advise.

I used the same blue frosting on my slides that I used for the lazy river. The pic is in my photos.

Samsgranny Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 22

Thanks Jen, yes, I saw your cake when you posted it and you were my inspiration to order the horseshoe pan! My kids are going to love this!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 22

Wiltons in the tub clear gel and just ad a fraction of blue it does not dry but remains like a sticky texture you only need 3/8 of an inch at the most and I roughed it up to look like waves. Underneath I had a light blue almost baby blue fondant.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 22

Use Wilton's piping gel in the tub. It costs about $3.00. They sell it at craft stores and (I think) at Wal Mart. I have made three pool cakes and always used the whole tub of gel. Dyed it blue and just glopped it on. You don't need to cut a well into the cake. You should pipe a border to hold the gel in place ... and to make the edge of the pool anyhow. Here are two of my pics. The toys in the first pool are rolled buttercream. The people in the second pool are candy clay.
LL
LL

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 22

How does the piping gel taste when there is so much of it? That would be my only concern. I have used jello for a pool like on the Woman's Day site and it tasted really good with the cake and icing.

LittleLinda Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 22

Newcakelady: It's really not that much piping gel on a piece of cake ... plus it's on top of frosting (not instead of). I'd like to know how it's done with Jello. Does the Jello hold up? Could you send instructions or the link where you got it?

newcakelady Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 22

I made a cake similar to this one, except I used whipped cream for frosting. You use the speed set recipe and then put it in a portion of the cake that you dig out. It tasted very good with the jello.

http://www.womansday.com/article.asp?pl=§ion_id=13&article_id=7307

kss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kss Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:15am
post #14 of 22

I have made several pool, fishing, pond type cakes. I dont use the gel in the tubes, instead, I buy a bottle of clear kayro syrup, add blue coloring untill I get the "water" color I want, spread this on the iced, crumbed cake...and Wa-La...Instant water effects. If your looking for splashy looking areas in your water, tip your icing spatula up and down a bit, mixing your water color and icing here and there.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:16am
post #15 of 22

I did a cake this past weekend using blue Jello to represent the water and it turned out very well. You need to cut a hole in your cake (don't need to cut it to the very bottom of the cake), and in a bowl mix together a package of blue jello and 1/2 cup boiling water until Jello desolves. Then add in 1/2 cup cold water and place bowl inside a large bowl that is filled with ice and cold water. Stir the Jello until it starts to thicken and laddle Jello into the cake and refrigerate the cake. You can double the Jello and waters if you need to fill a larger hole.

LittleLinda Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 11:16am
post #16 of 22

Newcakelady: thanks for the link ... and I LOVE your avitar!

Puzzlegut: I'm wondering how long the cake can be left out of the fridge before the Jello begins to liquify. Any experience?

Anybody? experience with jell-o starting to liquify?

newcakelady Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 12:33pm
post #17 of 22

I did mine for my son's pool party that was at the end of May(in Florida). It was a couple of year's ago, but I don't remember that being an issue and it was out for at least a couple of hours for the whole party.

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 12:45pm
post #18 of 22

Maybe it's just me, but I think the piping gel's taste and consistency are pretty nasty ..... it reminds me of eating hair gel that's had sugar added to it.
I've never used the Jello method, but I think that would be much more appetizing.

gegon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gegon Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 12:54pm
post #19 of 22

I like the piping gel idea but, if you are interested in the jello method, here is the link to the instructional video on www.kraftfoods.com

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=cookingschool&m=cookingschool/video_display&vid=149

I hope this helps.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 12:59pm
post #20 of 22

I'd use piping gel and color it blue. The taste is just sweet and if you don't create a well you shouldn't have much at all on each piece. If you cut out the cake to recess your "pool" I'd sure ice the inside of the indentation to prevent the "water" from soaking into the cake and becoming soggy. My sis made a darling above ground pool for a family reunion using a big round two layer cake. She made little characters of each of us girls and put them in the water and around the top. It doesn't take a lot of the gel to give a great water look. Certainly not anything deep into the cake. Anyone not liking the gel can scarpe it off the icing, no big deal.

Samsgranny Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 1:46pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks, gegon for the Kraft gelatin video! That was soooo cool. I like the idea of using jello as I can use a sugar free jello and control some of the sugar going into my kids and also I think that jello is refreshing in the hot summer months. Thanks again, I will use that technique for my waterslide cake.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 2:28pm
post #22 of 22

I've had the cake out for a few hours and the Jello was still intact.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%