Cake Dummy Question

Decorating By Gaut Updated 19 Jun 2006 , 2:23am by BlakesCakes

Gaut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaut Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 3

I have purchased the round styrofoam dummies to make a 3 tired cake.
My question is How do you do it. I have in mind what I want the cake to look like--just don't know the proceedure
Thanks

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 12:06am
post #2 of 3

You can fasten the dummy to a board by pushing could of large headed nails through the bottom-cover the heads with tape to prevent scratching things.

To get fondant to adhere, a very thin brushing of water, piping gel, royal icing or eggwhite and water will work. Use very little you want it to stick, not melt.

Then, just pretend it is cake.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 2:23am
post #3 of 3

For my dummies, I make a bottom board by taping 3-4 cardboard circles, squares, whatever, together, cover those with foil, paper, etc. and hot glue the finished dummy to it. You can decorate each layer and then hot glue them to each other--works great with fondant. To remove the cake from the board, you just pull off the decorative paper from the bottom board and the cake comes with it. You can then pull the dummy layers apart and peel/soak off the fondant and re-use the dummies. I use water to hold the fondant onto the styrofoam so that I can easily position the fondant and not contaminate it with anything.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%