Here's A Cheap Cake Carrier Idea...

Decorating By Dawn2467 Updated 17 May 2007 , 8:26pm by Dawn2467

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 14

HERE'S A CHEAP CAKE CARRIER IDEA...

The "Steralite" brand clear tub upside down...it's STACKABLE!!!!!!

Stackable, sturdy, like a big old Tupperware cake keeper...

Also, the Wilton 13x19 cakeboard fits perfectly in the white Steralite lid #1856/8N10-C...whatever size this is, I just eyeballed it till I got home. (The # is found in the inside of the lid. Got mine from Walmart...under $4.oo.)...There are some tabs that hold the cakeboard away from the edges....And, the clear container is easy to see through.

Anyhow, I just flipped the lid upside down, placed the cakeboard on it, and snapped the bottom part on for a lid...then stacked my second cake in another container right on top.

The cakes didn't move an inch...I delivered, lifted the cakeboards out, and walked away with my containers.

13 replies
shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 14

Oh cool, thanks for sharring that with us icon_smile.gif

Dawn2467 Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty

Oh cool, thanks for sharring that with us icon_smile.gif

No problem,..I'm sure it wasn't an original idea...just wanted to share the sizes...A perfect fit!

lsugraduate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsugraduate Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 14

My husband used those before for some sheet cakes we baked! They do work great for transporting cakes but don't leave cakes in there for long holding because they will go stale very quickly!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the tip. I need a new carrier and I looked at the wilton one today and it's like $30! I can't pay that for a carrier!

nickir0108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickir0108 Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 14

I use those containers also, but dummy me, never thought about turning them upside down. What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing!

MmmCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MmmCakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 14

Wow, what a great idea. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 14

Just to put this out there - it's not food safe plastic, so be very careful... Plus, honestly, if you want to look professional - like you are "for real" then this looks tacky.

Melissa

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 14

I've used these, too, for my 1/2 sheet cakes that just barely fit in the cardboard box. I'd rather use the plastic carrier and keep the sides from getting messed up than the cardboard box. I have learned the hard way, though, not to let customers pick up their cakes in these as two or three haven't returned them, so I've had to purchase new ones. From now on, if it goes to someone I don't know, they just get a cardboard box! icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to add: I don't think they look tacky at all. Actually, I usually get the "Oh what a great idea!" comments from my customers, and they appreciate not having to fight a flimsy cardboard box. And as far as being "food safe", no part of the cake or icing comes into any contact with the box so that isn't an issue.

Dawn2467 Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Just to put this out there - it's not food safe plastic, so be very careful... Plus, honestly, if you want to look professional - like you are "for real" then this looks tacky.

Melissa

Of course it's tacky...I said it was a CHEAP idea! HA!

I used them to tote FREE cakes to a "bowling alley" birthday party...no worries there.

Also, I'm not in the business, so it's really doesn't have an impact on me.

I'll only use them to transport from A to B, not storage...cake doesn't touch the sides at all, but thanks for the warning about the plastic...I appreciate it, not everyone thinks about stuff like that if they haven't studied up on it.

Dawn2467 Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 14

potatocakes...I'm too clumsy for the cardboard boxes..gotta use the sturdy stuff...gotta protect the sides like you said!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 14

I didn't mean to be "mean" if I was... I just got a little worried about other people maybe thinking of using containers for other things that would touch the food... I hadn't ever really thought about non-food plastics and it's impact before, but now I'm thinking more about it... I have all my edibles in sterilite containers (sprinkles, etc).

Melissa

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 14

Melissa - I've become more aware of the negative impact of plastics in our society, too, so I didn't think you were being "mean" at all. I just wanted to point out that in this case, the cake wasn't actually touching the plastic. icon_smile.gif I'm actually learning more and more about "toxic" plastics and chemicals as I've got a son with autistic tendencies, meaning he's not autistic enough to be diagnosed, but has enough signs to be considered on the spectrum. Crazy, isn't it? But anyway, it's off topic, but it's made me more aware of what's in his environment, affecting his little body. icon_sad.gif

Dawn2467 Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:26pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

I didn't mean to be "mean" if I was... I just got a little worried about other people maybe thinking of using containers for other things that would touch the food... I hadn't ever really thought about non-food plastics and it's impact before, but now I'm thinking more about it... I have all my edibles in sterilite containers (sprinkles, etc).

Melissa

No, Silly...it wasn't mean! I was sincere in thanking you for pointing out the plastic issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%