You Guys Saved My Cake

Decorating By koolaidstains Updated 18 Jun 2006 , 9:31am by TandTHarrell

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 7:27am
post #1 of 8

Thanks to being addicted to this site (can't say I wasn't warned LOL) I now have a perfectly cooked chocolate cake out of the oven. I always have had the worst time with chocolate cakes. It seems like they would be done, the toothpick would come out clean, but then it would fall. If I tried compensating it ended up overdone and dry.

So, then I read to use skewers instead of toothpicks (duh) and now I can reach down to the bottom of my 8x3in pan. I could easily see tonight where I would have taken the cake out becaue only the bottom 1/2 inch of the skewer was wet, so a toothpick would have come out clean. I had to cook it for another 12 minutes after that!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful info. My hubby will now have a nice cake thanks to you guys. And yes, I'm up at 3:30 LOL. I actually got a late start today thanks to a migraine and now I'm hopped up on caffiene and can't sleep. Might as well make a cake!

7 replies
Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 7:43am
post #2 of 8

I'm up too, but I'm not baking. Instead I'm eating left overs from a cake my daughter made, while I'm doing laundry. Lets just call it insomnia. icon_lol.gif I agree this site is not only addicting but all the C.C. members are extremely helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 7:46am
post #3 of 8

I'm up too! Just enjoying the peace and quiet. Love looking at everyone's cakes. I never thought about the skewer idea. Makes sense though. Chocolate is hard for me too. Glad it turned out!!

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 7:49am
post #4 of 8

I was going to whip up some chocolate buttercream, but I think I better go get some sleep so I can function tomorrow. I've got a lot of food to fix for hubby tomorrow. He was so sweet saying just make whatever, but I insisted on knowing what he really wanted. He wants Paula's blue cheese burgers and I could find decent looking blue cheese tonight so I'll have to hit a different grocery tomorrow.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 7:51am
post #5 of 8

I'm up too. Unfortunately, I'm working!!! I would much rather be home, insomnia or not!! So glad to hear your cake came out great. I baked a chocolate earlier today. It seems to have come out ok. I have to decorate in the morning when I get home from work.

Cindy

eema2four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eema2four Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 8:37am
post #6 of 8

If you run out of skewers, you can always use (raw) spaghetti!

PeaceOfCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOfCake Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 9:20am
post #7 of 8

Speaking of chocolate cakes, mine always seem to come out dry around the edges, even when I use bake even strips. Any idea why? Am I just overcooking, maybe?

Thanks!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 9:31am
post #8 of 8

i live in japan and it 6:30pm sunday

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%