Ever Had This Dilemma...?

Decorating By travelingcakeplate Updated 21 May 2007 , 4:37pm by JoanneK

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 16

I've been strapped for "girl cash" also known as "she money" for quite some time now!

I know that making cakes will bring in some extra dough, but honestly, I am 8 months pregnant and have a 16 month old at home who has suddenly become VERY clingy. And we are in the process of getting a nursery together and cleaning up for the unwanted company I am going to have after the baby gets here. ( tapedshut.gif OOps, did I say unwanted?!) tapedshut.gif

And I just need to know that everything is going to be alright!

DH doesn't understand because to him I'm hormonal! But I really feel like I am between a rock and hard place.

I guess I just needed to vent.

15 replies
twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 16

Vent on Vent on. I'm listening. LOL Yeah, I think you just need to let that out.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 16

"unwanted company"--are we related? icon_lol.gif Hope you feel a little better getting it out?

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 16

Vent away girl!! I can feel for you. We are here for you. icon_biggrin.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 16

everything will be all right! She money is definitely a necessity. Take things one day at a time. Your 16 month old will stop being clingy eventually and the next one will start! You'll find how to cope very well. thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 16

Hang in there...nap time will be your favourite time of the day!

CraftT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftT Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 16

I can really relate. My kids are 13 months apart in age and I had to quit work to be there with them because we couldn't afford daycare.

My advice to you is to totally take advantage of all the visitors. You'd be surprised at how many naps you can squeeze in while "Aunt so and so" is pampering the new baby and "Uncle so and so" is paying attention to your toddler! Hey, you can't stop them so use it to your advantage!

Gapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gapi Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 16

I know what you are going through. It is going to be all right. I have a 3 - 1/2 year old and a 2 year old. When the 2 year old was born we got transfered to another country and it was kind of crazy but I got myself organized and everything went okay. Of course, now it´s much better but I have a new task to accomplish which is Potty Training my first child (I know it´s kind of late). Oh my God, and I know it´s going to be sooo much work. So, don´t worry you are not alone and don´t feel bad!

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 18 May 2007 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 16

Oh, good luck girl!! I would definitely agree to use the - ahhem -*company* to your advantage. I HATE it having people come over for extended periods - it turns my world upside down! BUT, I do wish that when I had my second child that I had someone here to give me those little naps. I was so tired at that point that I couldn't care less if my house looked like the local dump or Martha Stewart's house, I just wanted some sleep. So - I feel for you!! (and I say a little prayer icon_wink.gif )

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for all the support. I knew I could count on you guys!

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 16

i am right there with ya only i'm 5 1/2 months pg with an 8 yr old, 4 yr old and a home day care lol we are majorly strapped for cash right now too since dh is off work going on 3 weeks due to several protruding discs in his back. he's still getting paid but the medical bills between me, him and our son who is having feet and tendon problems in his legs are building up and we have to buy a bigger vehicle soon too.
as for the "unwanted" guests LOL i have a rule when we have a new baby, NO ONE comes over unannounced, they must call first and make sure it's ok with us, even my parents who only live 2 blocks away. this may sounds harsh (dh's family didn't like it when ds was born and threw major fits if we didn't let them in when they "dropped" by) but it's the only thing that kept us sane. I don't even care if someone calls and says they are 5 minutes away, it at least gave me some kind of notice and made me feel much better.

i have several cake orders due between now and when the baby will be here and several afterwards too, i only take a week off from the day care and baking since dh is here and helps a lot with the kids ( he takes 2 weeks of with FMLA) he also helps with baking and some decorating too.
Good Luck and hope everything goes smooth with your upcoming delivery
Amy

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 16

My DS is about to turn 2 and we are considering adding to the family, so I am here to support you in your 'hormonal' times, because I know I'll be right there, begging for your understanding!! "Girl cash" is a must, even if it's just a few dollars every great once in a while. Just take a tiny amount and find yourself something inexpensive that you've been wanting, then sit in the car and look at it and say, "You EARNED this girl!" And hear the chorus of voices from CC all saying, "THAT'S RIGHT WOMAN!!" icon_wink.gif And don't you dare feel guilty about it!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 16

"Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be answered." -- Matthew 7:7

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 16

There is a reason why they call it labor!! It's not like before where you used to be able to stay in the hospital for a week and then they would send you home with a baby nurse.

Now, you spit out the baby and in less than 24 hours you are sent home to cope!

If I were you, I'd politely tell my visitors to please reschedule their visits to 2 weeks AFTER you get home, to make sure they are not underfoot while your family is trying to make the emotional adjustments.

and if they balk at this..say the DOCTOR SAID SO! lol.

I did that with my family...I told them they had to please stay away for the first 2 weeks while I got myself together and just in case anything went wrong.

I had a loving and supportive family and they all understood!

and, in fact, one of my cousins hosted a family dinner and I arrived, stayed 2 hours and left.

Everyone saw the baby and ohhed and ahhed over him, I got a few hours out, ate, socialized and then went home to a "mostly" clean and quiet house!

Company doesn't really know when to leave, lol

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 16

I am right there with you, love the family, but we have a rule, no unannouced visitor for 2 weeks on the baby arrives. We have to bond and get some type of routine and some rest!!!

I have 8 more days to baby # 3 and currently have 3 very busy and non-stop action pack want to run and play outside boys! Even if it's raining! They tell us it's another boy, and that the energy will not just triple.. Wow, I am tired just thinking of it.

People will call and if I am up, they can come over, otherwise, DH says, call back in a bit! Our parents are all out of town so when they come it's for a long visit. They help, but the routine is disturbed, I love them, but the great thing is they understand, thank goodness.

travelingcakeplate about the venting and the $$, I get it too. I make my cakes and then I try and buy supplies from what little money I get for supplies from it. Or what other little things we can do.

Also I found that with # 2 it took 2 months to adjust and feel like a human again. A few friends who have 3 or 4 say it's easier once # 3 and 4 come, I guess it's all about experience.

Gapi - recently got # 2 trained, it took 2 weeks of "naked baby" in the house and between 20-30 hot wheel cars for incentive, but it worked and he is doing great. It will have been a 2 months diaper/pull up break!

Melvira, more kids are so much fun! Love your cake work and your techniques.

I have learned so much from so many in such a short time.

Thank you for your cake and life guidance!

Good Luck everyone.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:37pm
post #16 of 16

No way! Don't do any cakes right now. You surely don't need the added stress.

Maybe rather then buying something you can take some alone time. Even if it's just to take a nice long warm bubble bath. Turn the lights off and have candles and soft music playing and destress.

What about when you go grocery shopping. Can you maybe use coupons and then keep the money you saved out to spend on yourself? Even if it's just to buy you some pretty new nail polish. Or a nice CD for your bath time?

Good luck and don't forget a good cry is sometimes all we really need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%