Starting A Cake Club In Richmond, Va

Decorating By GateauGirl Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm by mgdsue02

GateauGirl Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone have advice for starting a cake club? I'd love to meet with some local decorators, but after doing a lot of research I haven't been able to identify a group here in Richmond, VA. There was some initial interest on the site, but I have not seen much activity lately (no one has stepped up to organize an official club).

Your thoughts would be appreciated. OR if you live around here & know of a club I've overlooked, please let me know! Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
GateauGirl Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 11

Hellooo? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone have an answer to this question? icon_wink.gif

(For those who haven't seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", forgive me...)

all4cake Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 11

I thought CASANOVA covered the Richmond area as well.

jmt1714 Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 11

I don't live in Richmond, but I'm there a lot.. Keep me in the loop.

Deana Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 11

I'm not in Richmond either.. but I'd drive there for a cake club!

Heck - I drive north of the city to play poker once a month - I'd surely do it to talk about cake!!

AuntAndrea Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:14am
post #6 of 11

Sorry for the delayed response -- this crazy week didn't leave me much time to get online. In fact, part of the time I was actually in RICHMOND! icon_surprised.gif

I'm a member of Casanova, and I'm also the Alternate Rep for ICES for Virginia (I'll be the full VA Rep starting this summer at ICES). I'd be delighted to work with you and whoever else is around the Richmond area to help set up a group there! For sure we'll have a Day of Sharing in the Richmond area at some point, too. I've been thinking about doing that for some time, but I was just waiting for things to calm down a bit at work so I could jump back into my cake addiction!! icon_eek.gif

I live in Northern Virginia, but my job brings me to Richmond pretty much every week for a day or two. Richmond is definitely on my list! thumbs_up.gif

So -- who else is around the Richmond area? Let's see what we can come up with!!

...Andrea, that crazy cake lady! icon_biggrin.gif

GateauGirl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 11

Andrea, it has been so long since my last post, you probably thought I forgot about this idea! If you're still around and come to Richmond regularly enough to make this a possibility, I would be willing to help with a cake club this summer. I am a teacher and have more time now that I'm not planning my class and teaching! Hope to generate some interest among the others & hope to talk to you soon! - Jennifer

chutzpah Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 11

I used to live in Richmond... does that count?? icon_lol.gif

mom42ws Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #9 of 11

i'm in richmond but i don't know of any clubs. sadly, organizing something like that isn't really a strong point of mine. a follower, not a leader. i'd be into it if someone else were organizing. what does a cake club do anyway??

AuntAndrea Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 11

Well, quite a bit has changed in over a year, I guess!! icon_surprised.gif I'm in a new position at work and no longer need to drive down to Richmond every week -- which is great for me, but doesn't really help in this situation! icon_confused.gif

Another change -- I opted to NOT go for becoming the VA State Rep this year... just too much going on at work, etc., to really invest in the position. Our new VA State Rep, Megan, is terrific, and is trying to plan Days of Sharing all over the State. I'm not sure when Richmond is involved, but I'll talk to her about this conversation! I know there are a bunch of folks who have mentioned being interested in meeting there...

I think a club down there would be great! I'll help any way I can! icon_smile.gif

mgdsue02 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 11

I live outside of Richmond and would love to get together with other cake decorators to "talk cake". Do we have to have an official club or can we just meet once or twice a month? (Or more often)

Quote by @%username% on %date%