Chocolate Paper???????

Decorating By DBliss Updated 17 May 2007 , 9:22pm by DBliss

DBliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DBliss Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #1 of 11

I was watching the Food Network earlier today and they were talking to a person that uses chocolate paper instead of fondant to cover cakes because it's easier to use. It looked just like fondant. Does anybody use this or know what it is?

10 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:59am
post #2 of 11

No I hadn't heard of it. But if you check out the Food Network site that the show should tell you where that person was located at. By the way what show was it?

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:31am
post #3 of 11

You can find more info if you look up chocolate wrapping paper or candy clay. I'm sure there's a recipe on this site somewhere.

The way you make it is to basically mix melted chocolate with corn syrup, then after sitting a while it turns into a kneadable dough that can be rolled or modeled.

DBliss Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 11

The show was Sugar Rush.

Maybe it was the candy clay or chocolate wrap. I've heard of those, I've just never heard of them called chocolate paper.

Thanks!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 11

It's chocolate plastic.. the lady from The Elegant Cheesecake Co calls it chocolate paper. Like the PP posted said it's a mixture of corn syrup and chocolate. I plan on trying this out with the next just for fun cake I make. It sounds like it'd taste good.

DBliss Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 11

That's what I was thinking. My family and friends do not like fondant (I make my own), but I thought they may like this and I could get the look I want.

FromScratch Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 11

I just made some bittersweet chocolate cplastic and it tastes really good. It's still warm and I can't do anything with it, but it tastes just like chocolate. I'll have to make some white chocolate plastic too and see how it tastes.. I don't really like white chocolate, but it has to taste better thatn Wilton fondant! icon_lol.gif

I'll let you know what I think of it whe it's all cooled..

DBliss Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 11

I can't wait. I wonder if it's as workable as fondant and if it dries like fondant when you are molding with it?

FromScratch Posted 17 May 2007 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 11

Well I can't stop nibbling on the bittersweet chocolate plastic so if there's any left to work with I'll let you know.. LOL. It's like a squishy ball of dark chocolate bar.. toooooooo tempting.. must.. put.. in.. lock box!!!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 11

I use the clay with my home made fondant. It tastes like a tootsie roll. It really goes on the cakes great. Just never heard of chocolate paper.

DBliss Posted 17 May 2007 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 11

I can't wait to try this. I'm sooooo excited!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%