Mmf - Is It Just Me, Or........

Decorating By DelightsByE Updated 16 Jun 2006 , 12:55pm by dodibug

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:02am
post #1 of 9

Finally after lots of questions and personal debating, I decided to try to make MMF. Having been anti-fondant for so long, I was skeptical. LOVE the technique. LOVE the cost. LOVE the fact I don't have to spend 45 minutes in the car and 5 bucks a box for Wilton fondant.

BUT....I just don't think it tastes as good as everyone else says it does! icon_sad.gif

I used the recipe from this site, used butter flavoring, but I just don't get it. Maybe it's the texture I don't like. *sigh*

So now I think I'm going to have to try rolled buttercream.

8 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:05am
post #2 of 9

Use real vanilla flavoring! I am not a fan of butter flavoring so I wouldn't have thought to use it with MMF. I have also used almond extract as well. I'm not a big almond fan either but it was pretty good.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:09am
post #3 of 9

I am there with dodibug - the butter flavoring is something I never use, I do not care for the taste of it. Try again with the vanilla and see if you like it better.

mcclj9583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcclj9583 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:09am
post #4 of 9

i have never tried the MMF - i plan on it soon - but i too stay away from butter flavoring - i dont know what it is - i just think vanilla is one hundred times better

dodibug Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:15am
post #5 of 9

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like that wilton butter flavoring! When I took my decorating classes everyone raved about it. It made me kind of sick to my stomach. And mind you I can eat butter by the spoonful (gross I know but I love butter! Funny, I hate the extract, love the stick!) icon_lol.gif

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:18am
post #6 of 9

try a scratch recipe for fondant.. it takes about 30seconds longer, and tastes much nicer (not quite as intesely sweet!) Cost is about the same... and yeah... stick to real flavours, not artificial ones!

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:18am
post #7 of 9

I use the but-a-van it is an emulssion flavoring and it tastes kind of like butterscotch. I have also used the vanilla but never just butter, not enough like a treat for me. I have to say that I am not wild about mmf taste or texture but I have cake clients that are batty about it, I even was asked to make some fondant peppers recently for an ice cream social for a client who I had made a fiesta cake for in the past. She just loves the fondant! So, even if you aren't in love with it, you may have clients who are....
theres my 2 cents. hehehe

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 5:45am
post #8 of 9

I agree with MelC, try making the traditional fondant. You get a better texture and not that marshmallow aftertaste. You can also flavor as you see fit. You can also add white and dark chocolate, yum.

dodibug Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 9

What scratch recipe would you guys recommend? I would like to try to make the chocolate fondant-mmmmm!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%