Stupid Question-How Can I Get The Curl Out Of My Fondant Mat

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 17 May 2007 , 12:26am by ShirleyW

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 16

I have a Wilton fondant mat that is only a couple months old and it was perfect when I got it home (flat) but now the corners are starting to curl. I know I can tape them down to the table but does anyone know what else I can do? Any tips? thanks.

15 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 16

Can you run it under hot water and then lay something over top of the corners to hold it down until it cools? I don't know if this will work, just a thought.

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 16

Mine has terrible fold marks in it from coming in a box... do you think the hot water would work for that too?

jjs1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjs1227 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 16

UUUGGG this is the thing that I hate the most about my mat. When I run it under hot water it acutally curls tighter but I've never tryed laying it out flat too cool. I wonder if that would work? Hopefully someone smarter than me has a great solution. icon_wink.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 16

I put towels over mine and ironed it on a medium-setting, and let it cool while laying flat with the towel on it.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 16

I've had to soak mine in hot water before. Clean your tub really well, lay it flat, and soak. Lay it flat to dry. I also store mine in wrapping paper tubes, and I roll it opposite every time.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 16

I layed mine down with the curl (and lines from folds) facing my ironing board and covered it with a warm, wet towel and ironed that sucker! Worked pretty good!

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneprimalscream

I put towels over mine and ironed it on a medium-setting, and let it cool while laying flat with the towel on it.

Thats what i do and woks perfect!!!!

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 16

I took a hot coffee pot (with water in it) and "ironed" it that way. It worked pretty good.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 16

Lots of great ideas! I've had the same problem with the curling. I actually just got an Ateco mat icon_biggrin.gif but, it's so much bigger than my Wilton one plus it's a different material. I haven't even tried it yet. icon_sad.gif "Fear of the unknown I guess." icon_redface.gif I was so excited to get it and now it's just sitting in the packaging while I continue to use my beat up Wilton one. icon_confused.gif I'm definitely going to try the ironing trick. thumbs_up.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 16

I stick mine in a warm dryer for a few minutes until it softens, then lay flat to cool under some weights. Works great.....

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 16

another "ironer" here!

(now don't faint -- yes, a guy who actually owns an iron and knows how to use it too!

ok -- -now you can faint -- and owns a sewing machine and can use it too!)

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 16

I use vinyl plastic from fabric store for rolling my fondant.
To keep folds and wrinkles at bay, after it is washed and dried, I hang it up in my "CAKE CLOSET" with a pant hanger (maybe 2, if it is large)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:09am
post #14 of 16

Hair dryer.

sarahturtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahturtle Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #15 of 16

I roll my mat the opposite way it's curling and stick it in an empty paper towel roll for a little while.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:26am
post #16 of 16

Roul Pat and Silpat silicone mats don't do this, they can be rolled or folded, when you unroll them they automatically flatten out, no creases. I love these mats, they are expensive but so worth it and last for years. I have had the silpat for 6 years and other than darkening in color from baking, it still has it's non stick ability and no tears or wrinkles in it. The Roul Pat I use only for fondant, it is a big generous size and works beautifully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%