Ribbon On Cakes

Decorating By jana1999 Updated 16 May 2007 , 5:27pm by IHATEFONDANT

jana1999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jana1999 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 8

im decorating my first wedding cake this wkend for a Bridal shower. Im using ribbon on the bottom of the cakes . Any ideas on how to adhear this to the cake would be very helpful. I am using satin ribbon!!!

7 replies
Meg828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg828 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 8

You could use a large pin with the big ball at the end. I even used a tooth pick and it sticks out a tiny bit.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 8

if the buttercream is still *wet* it will attach itself and then I secure in the back with a dab of icing

if it is crusted, i just wrap it around and secure with a dab of icing..im sure there is a better way but thats how i do it

i have a wedding cake this weekend and will be attaching ribbon as well to top or each tier and bottom!!!!

so any help is appreciated here as well!

Michelle04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle04 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 8

I put contact paper on the back of my ribbon. Then I put a small amount of frosting around the bottom edge of the cake (using #1 tip). The ribbon stuck right to it and laid flat. I had to use frosting to stick it because the outside of my cake had already crusted too much for the ribbon to stick to it. I hope that helps.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 8

I also have used a toothpick, a sewing pin, or one of those big metal "T" pins.
Just make sure that you tell the person cutting the cake that it is there just in case they don't see it.

stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 8

I put satin ribbon around the bottom of my ladybug cakes and I just used the small straight pins because I didn't want the head to show. I didn't do a bow. It worked beautifully.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 8

there was a question somewhere i dont know when that mentioned that contact paper was not food safe? any other ways to avoide the grease look?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 8

I cut a strip of fondant, the same shade as the ribbon. I put that around the cake first and then put the ribbon over it and attach with a straight pin. I cover the pin with a fondant accent of some sort to hide it. Just make sure you let whoever will be serving the cake know that the pin is there.

They will then remove the pin and the ribbon leaving the fondant strip. They can cut through that easily.

No grease stains on the ribbon.

I have also dyed the fondant strip the color of the cake if I am using a sheer ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%