Please Help Wilton Bc/dawn's Bc Not Crusting

Baking By NEWTODECORATING Updated 18 May 2005 , 9:57pm by NEWTODECORATING

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 May 2005 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 15

icon_sad.gif I am trying like heck to get a cake done while my little one sleeps. I made Dawn's buttercream and added a smidge of choc to it and it won't crust, so I made Wilton BC (all crisco) added the same smidge of choc and it won't crust either. I have done this before with no problems. I am not sure what to do here. Any advice would be appreciated thanks
Kimberly icon_cry.gif

14 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 15

Have you done anything differently than the last time? Did you measure out your ingredients right? I remember one time I was making BC and not paying attention and I added only half the powdered sugar needed. I noticed before using it but it happens sometimes.

Is it hot/humid where you are?

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 18 May 2005 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 15

Could you try adding some meringue powder?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 May 2005 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 15

It is only about 70 degrees and no rain here in WV. I thought that I had made a mistake with Dawn's so I was really careful with the Wilton's.
Should I add more powdered sugar?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 May 2005 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 15

I have meringue powder, and perfer Dawn's BC do I dare add it since it doesn't call for it.

marknrox Posted 18 May 2005 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 15

I don't THINK it would hurt, but I'm not sure. I have used it in icing before and it was fine. The only difference between Dawn's recipe and the one I used was hers had butter and mine didn't. If you are really afraid of messing it up more, then I don't know if I'd try it. It's up to you. If you have extra icing anyway, give it a shot. icon_razz.gif

Lisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

I have meringue powder, and perfer Dawn's BC do I dare add it since it doesn't call for it.

I'd add it too. Maybe start with 2 teaspoons. If it doesn't work you can always add more.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 May 2005 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks Here it goes I will let you know

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 18 May 2005 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:

Thanks Here it goes I will let you know

yes!! let us know!!!!
i use dawns bc too and want to add meringue.......... !! let me know!
thanks!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 May 2005 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 15

icon_biggrin.gif THANK YOU!!! It worked! I added 2 teaspoons of Meringue powder, waited just a few minutes and POOF! I could tell a change in the consistancy when I stirred it. Sure enough I put it on the cake and it crusted over in about 10 min.--well enough to towel smooth.
I finished just as my son woke up! I hope to post a few pics later. This one is 9x13 double choc., layered with carmel dip-Choc butter cream icing. It has a 3D mountain, pine trees, a stream, dirt, rocks, grass, and a MMF fisherman standing in the water fishing. I hope it taste good, because it is to dern cute. THANKS AGAIN

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 18 May 2005 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:

icon_biggrin.gif THANK YOU!!! It worked! I added 2 teaspoons of Meringue powder, waited just a few minutes and POOF! I could tell a change in the consistancy when I stirred it. Sure enough I put it on the cake and it crusted over in about 10 min.--well enough to towel smooth.
I finished just as my son woke up! I hope to post a few pics later. This one is 9x13 double choc., layered with carmel dip-Choc butter cream icing. It has a 3D mountain, pine trees, a stream, dirt, rocks, grass, and a MMF fisherman standing in the water fishing. I hope it taste good, because it is to dern cute. THANKS AGAIN

woooooooooooo hoooo!! did it work better for decorating too???
that is awesome!
to, 2 teaspoons to one batch of icing right?

marknrox Posted 18 May 2005 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 15

I am so glad it worked out for you!!! thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Posted 18 May 2005 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 15

Yay! Glad it worked! Can't wait to see it.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 18 May 2005 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 15

Sounds great. I can't wait to see it!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 May 2005 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 15

It smoothed really well. I have some left over so I plan on playing with it some-you know making roses and the such. I will keep you posted. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%