10 Inch Chocolate Chip Cookie - Any Tips?

Baking By 1234me Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 6:05pm by Whitting

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #31 of 40

Thanks for posting all these tips and recipes everyone. I tend to overbake or underbake larger cookies. Can't wait to try again (I'm not one to give up on something edible icon_lol.gif )

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #32 of 40

I've made a few of these as well just for family, my nephew isn't real big on cake. I always make mine in the disposable pizza pans that you can get at the grocery store, and then cover it loosely in plastic wrap. I'd love to find the plastic containers they sell them in in stores.

carries_creations what you described sounds like those cookies they sell at I think it's the Great American Cookie Shop (don't quote me on that) Sounds great.

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #33 of 40

I do these each semester with my high school students. We do them in pizza pans. If 150 high school students can turn out 30 of these in a day (plus or minus, depending on the group following the recipe, or remembering to turn on thier oven, or measuring correctly, or not eating it all before they bake it, or just being complete nincompoops that we know high school students can be) They turn out really well. And are super easy, cost less than 3.00 to make, and they usually go to the mall and buy them for 25. They are a big hit among those not so easily impressesd. adn I love it when they go home and make them for thier family.

Sorry for that....my point was pizza pans are the way to go. icon_smile.gif

MadeYaLook Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:48pm
post #34 of 40

Oh...about over baking and under baking....I always tell them that when time is up....take them out. They may not look done, but they are! IF they leave them in just a minute or two too long thay are too crispy. And most don't care for a crispy cookie

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #35 of 40

I actually bake my cookies in cake pans because I've been using cookies between cake layers! (sugar cookies inside WASC or any buttercake, peanut butter cookie inside any chocolate cake) This way they are axactly the right size, and as long as you spray your pan with grease and leave a little room all around the edge for it to spread they come out perfect with no sticking at all. Also, as the cake sits with the cookie inside it softens to a "firm cake" consistency so there is no problem cutting thru it, and of course you put any icing or jam between the cookie layer and the cake(under and over the cookie, so two thin layers of icing). It is delish!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #36 of 40

what a good idea raquel1.
sassyhasselgren--That's my problem, I'm always leaving in for an extra minute because they don't look done, then I regret it. I just do this with cookies though for some reason, never anything else.

I've done a stacked cookie cake a few time. You bake off a few layers of cookie cakes (I used 8 inch rounds) fill with a cream cheese icing and top with a cream cheese icing and you can even put a FBCT on top. (I think Cambo was the one who taught me this).

MadeYaLook Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #37 of 40

I am diggin' the idea of making a stacked cookie.

Also, my favoriet thing to put in the cookie are the mini m&m's instead of chips and if you do use chips, the mini chips have been most successful in class.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm
post #38 of 40

I am curious how much people charge for these. I found some on Mrs Fields site for 35.00. Seemed ridiculous for 10 in cookie. I made some a couple days ago. I used 1 receipe and filled 2 11 in pans, heart and circle from wilton made for cookies. happen to find that day at hobby lobby with my wilton coupon. SO anyhow, my receipe cost me about 4.00 for the whole thing. these were on little thinner than I would have liked. Next time would double the receipe and could get 3 nice thicker ones. Was about 3/4 in or so when baked. May have to try one receipe and one pan. but this thickness was thicker than my regular cookies, so I am not sure. would love any advice for charging.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

I actually bake my cookies in cake pans because I've been using cookies between cake layers! (sugar cookies inside WASC or any buttercake, peanut butter cookie inside any chocolate cake) This way they are axactly the right size, and as long as you spray your pan with grease and leave a little room all around the edge for it to spread they come out perfect with no sticking at all. Also, as the cake sits with the cookie inside it softens to a "firm cake" consistency so there is no problem cutting thru it, and of course you put any icing or jam between the cookie layer and the cake(under and over the cookie, so two thin layers of icing). It is delish!

Oh that sounds sinful! And something to definitely try!

Whitting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whitting Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:05pm
post #40 of 40

I've always wanted to bake a large cookie and thanks for everyone's posts, I gave it a "whirl"! I just wanted to thank nickshalfpint for posting that chocolate chip recipe. I tried the recipe a couple days ago and it was delicious! I put the dough into a 10" tart pan with a removable bottom, lined with parchment paper. It couldn't have turned out better! I served it, cut into pie-shaped wedges. I used almost all the dough in the pan except enough dough to make about 15 small cookies. Note: when you bake it, take it out when the middle is still soft and the edges are "just" beginning to brown. You will get nice soft pieces to enjoy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%