10 Inch Chocolate Chip Cookie - Any Tips?

Baking By 1234me Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 6:05pm by Whitting

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:34am
post #1 of 40

I have a customer wanting a 10 inch chocolate chip cookie decorated instead of a cake. Any tips since I have never done one before? I planned on making the cookei dough, putting it in my 10 inch pan then putting the icing decorations on it as I would a cake. She doesn't want the entire cake covered in icing, just a few decorations.

39 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #2 of 40

lower the temp and use baking strips.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 40

Would you have to use a spring form pan or just a regualr round cake pan lined with parchment. My biggest worry would be getting that cookie out of the pan.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 40

I cook mine on my Pampered Chef pizza stone-with or without parchment. It's easier to slide off and cool if you use parchment paper. I would not want to try to get a cookie out of the cake pan...but that's just me. These are very simple to do-just make an EXTRA large cookie instead of a normal sized one. I pat my dough down a little-until it's about 1" thick. If I were making a 10", I would have about a 6" diameter of cookie dough.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 40

I have started making these alot, they are fun and delicious! You can definitely use your 10" pan with parchment on the bottom, just be sure to leave at least a one inch gap between your dough and the side of the pan where it can spread. Otherwise you'll get a really big hard edge like a pizza crust. Another idea to make it look very tidy and nice is to bake it in a 12" pan, then after you turn it out, put the 10" pan on top and cut around it so you have a flat and uniform edge.

boyoboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boyoboy Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 40

I bake mine in one of those throw away pizza pans and then cover it with another one when I deliver it . I have a great choc. chip recipe it makes just enough for the one cookie so it works out great.
Nicole

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 40

Great tips!

My niece was just telling me this weekend that she wanted one of these for her birthday. I will let her know that Aunt Chrissy knows how to make these now.

I love the idea about making the edges nice and clean. You know...I sort of think a large cookie would look cute on top of a round cake.

What do you guys think?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 40

You can definitely do that. But do you mean right on top of the cake, or on a pedestal like a tiered cake? If you put it right on top it makes it a little harder to cut, but it can be done!!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 40

Nicole (boyoboy), Would you share your recipe w/us, PLease icon_biggrin.gif We've always wanted to do these, as well. Truth be told, I am not good w/ cookies icon_redface.gif

lujauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lujauna Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 40

boyoboy would you share your cookie recipe?

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 40

For larger cookies, the best advice I have is NOT to overbake... if anything, take it out a little early. If it's even remotely crispy like a regular cookie, it'll be a nightmare to cut. I'm with Melvira on cutting - what I usually do is bake in a larger springform than I'm gonig to need, and while it's still warm, smoosh the smaller springform pan (buttered!) into the cookie like a cutter, pull away the extra cookie (can usually find a use for same...), and wait for it to cool before removing the second pan.

JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 40

Yes, I mean to put it right on top. But...your right it would be hard to cut!! Wasn't thinking of that one...just thinking of how nice it might look icon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gif

It would also be really good on top of a New York Style Cheesecake!!

Need to figure out how to make cutting the cookie easy????

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 40

Use Alton's "The Chewy" recipe from Food Network.

lujauna Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 40

I have made several of these. My recipe is a pretty large one so I put parchment paper on a 16 inch pizza pan bake it and when it cools cut out the size of cookie I want. That way you cut off any edges that gets to brown. The parchment paper makes it easy to remove from the pan. I also have one of those very large spatulas that I slip under the cookie to move it to a cake board or what ever you are wanting to put the cookie on before decorating it.

lynda-bob Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #15 of 40

Thank you Breelaura icon_biggrin.gif

carries_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carries_creations Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 40

I will sometimes do a two layer cookie cake with frosting in the middle-- (or maybe even ice cream!!) It makes for a more "substantial" cake. I always bake mine in pizza pans and they turn out great.

sshoshie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshoshie Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 40

I make these often as well, I use a variety of pans different shapes etc. I have never had a problem getting it out of the pan. I just spray the pan with pam and bake normally. I make a buttery cookie and I think this helps as well.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #18 of 40

save

lynda-bob Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:01pm
post #19 of 40

Do you bake the cookie for the same amt. of time as a batch of small cookies, or do you have to increase the baking time? (Anyone, Please icon_smile.gif )

boyoboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boyoboy Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:22pm
post #20 of 40

I was tryin to remember where I got the recipe, and it is on the wilton websight. but I will post it anyway. I am no good at choc. chip cookies so that is why i went looking for a good recipe . I went through several, before i found this one. you take it out when it is still soft in the middle and it is so taste and holds together very well . that is the main reason i love it, oh and it it just the right amount for 1 large cookie . ( my husband took one to work and they ate on it for 3 or 4 days and he said it was still chewy not hard by the last day ). i hope this helps.

giant choc. chip cookie

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. choc. chips

it says to bake at 350 ,spray the pan . and bake for 15 to 20 mins.

sshoshie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshoshie Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:30pm
post #21 of 40

The recipei I use is a bit bigger and makes a little thicker cookie, enough to fill a shape pan nicely.

lynda-bob Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:57pm
post #22 of 40

Thank you, Boyoboy! I copied it down. Now I need to try out the recipes and see...What's that noise? icon_confused.gif Dooohh! It's the sound of my thighs growing some more icon_lol.gif Seriously, thanks for the info. thumbs_up.gif

lujauna Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 40

Thank you boyoboy I am going to give this one a try. icon_biggrin.gif

CountryCakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakes2007 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #24 of 40

Ya'll have some great ideas! I've recently had someone ask about a giant cookie. Had to turn them down b/c I wasn't sure how to do it! Anyone have any ideas on how to package them? I have a book that I order picks, rings, cake kits, and other things for cakes and they have started to have pics of giant cookies decorated in it. They are packages in a black round plastic bottom container with a clear plastic lid. Don't know where to get it. Anyone have any ideas?

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #25 of 40

I do these often also. I use the Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix. For the 10" pan I use one package and for the larger 12" and up I use two mixes. I grease the pan with shortening and flour. I bake for about 22-26 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK or they will be hard. I let the cookie set for about 10 minutes then put it in the freezer for about 10-20 minutes. I take a butter knife around the edges of the cookie. Then I turn it over on a cake circle and it comes out with ease. This is my hottest seller right now. I would have never of expected it to become that though. icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #26 of 40

I bake mine on a cookie sheet. Mark the size circle on parchment. Press out the dough to the circle(it does spread a bit but that's what I aim for...trimmin's). Bake. When I pull it out of the oven, I use the same pan and cut out the cookie and remove trimmings. Leave to cool completely on parchment.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #27 of 40

I use a recipe I got from a bakery I worked at. Everytime I make it, it doesn't last the night. My DH and kids eat it up! The mini m&m's are optional. it stays really chewy. I always bake mine on a pizza pan, but some of these other ways sound really good. Good luck =)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4283-0-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Cake.html

all4cake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #28 of 40

nickshalfpint, the recipe has squares where some of the measurements should be....

Would you fill in the blanks, please?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #29 of 40

I wonder why it did that. It wasn't like that before. I guess I'll have to re print it. Thanks for letting me know. Here's the recipe. Hope you like it.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake!
Serves/Yields: 20
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Category: Cookies!
Difficulty: Easy

Introduction
I love this recipe, it's so good. My kids love this way more than a boring ol' cookie!
Ingredients
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 lg eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
1 bag m&m baking bits
Directions
Heat oven to 300� F

Mix flour, baking soda and salt together, set aside.

Mix sugars together in a large bowl. On medium speed, add butter just till well mixed. Add eggs and vanilla, mix till blended. On low speed add flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and m&m's.

Put all the batter on an ungresed pizza pan. Shape it how you like. I make it the shape of the pizza pan ( 2 inches from the rim, otherwise it will go over) Bake 20-25 minutes or untill done.

I make this with splenda sugar and splenda brown sugar and it tastes the same. I have also put it into a pie tin and just bake it a little longer.

all4cake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #30 of 40

Thank you Ma'am!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%