Cookies On Sticks In The Oven Wasting Space?

Baking By LittleLinda Updated 20 May 2007 , 2:06am by Cake_Princess

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:12am
post #1 of 16

I was wondering how you can get many cookies on the cookie sheet with the sticks. Are you using sheets that have no sides with the sticks sticking out of the edges? Do you think you could turn over a cookie sheet that has sides and bake on the back?

15 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:18am
post #2 of 16

I was wondering this too. It takes so long to bake cookies for bouquets (especially when I keep taking orders for 20 and 30+ cookies per bouquet!). I've also only found one rack in my oven that isn't too close to either heating element, so I can only bake one cookie sheet at a time! Ugh.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:19am
post #3 of 16

I usually only bake a few at a time but I'm interested to see how everyone else handles this. I have 100 to do for this week.

cat633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat633 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:25am
post #4 of 16

I insert my sticks right after I take the cookies out of the oven. I use wooden skewers and soaked the ends in a mixture of meringue powder and water. This acts as a glue and holds the sticks in place in the cookie. I found if I didn't do this the sticks come out to easy.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:30am
post #5 of 16

I have 3 large square airbake cookie sheets with no sides, just a little flip on 1 side (for easy grabbing out of the oven) i lay 3 cookies on 2 sides with the sticks facing inside the sheet, then 2 cookies on the other 2 sides again with the sticks laying inside so that all sticks are laying inside the cookie sheet, my bouquet cookies are anywhere from 2-6 inches
i made a quick diagram, hope this helps
LL

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:33am
post #6 of 16

I indent my sticks in the cookie right after baking. After they cool, I put a small amount of stiff RI on the stick, place it in my indention, and then ice over the top of it. I have never had a problem with sticks coming out. Usually get 10-12 cookies per sheet.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:37am
post #7 of 16

I do kinda like zoom mentioned....put 2 to 3 on one end and 2 on the other end with the sticks inward. I only put one cookie sheet in the over at a time.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:50am
post #8 of 16

This is my justification for charging as much as I do for cookie bouquets. I don't have a convection oven yet, so if I am making large cookies on a stick for bouquets, I am sometimes limited to 6 at a time in the oven. I just place my cookies facing opposite each other, and if there are smaller cookies, I try and fit them in between the sticks. Otherwise, its a long night of baking. I was really tired of looking at cookies after easter. I had to do 15 bouquets in one night. Can you say...crazy!?!?! The fun is about to begin again this weekend, its graduation season. This time I will be spending a couple days on them, instead of one night. I know when to say NO I have too many orders now!!

LittleLinda Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:19am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyfam

I indent my sticks in the cookie right after baking. After they cool, I put a small amount of stiff RI on the stick, place it in my indention, and then ice over the top of it. I have never had a problem with sticks coming out. Usually get 10-12 cookies per sheet.

I have read that many people insert sticks after baking and I'm still confused. (or just anal retentive)

Woodyfam, "indent" are you talking about the stick actually being exposed on the back of the cookie?

I was always picturing that people are poking the stick through the side of the cookie right up into the center.

Also, (sorry, anal again) if you insert the sticks after, you must be taking them off the cookie sheet first (otherwise you'd still have that "not enough space" problem) right?

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 16

I do them afterward. I can fit about 10 cookies per sheet- and 3 sheets in the oven at a time. When they come out of the oven, I allow them to cool a bit until they are cool enough to pick up and then transfer them to my cooling rack. Once on the rack and still pretty warm I insert the stick into the bottom and push it at least half way up- I use wooden skewers and I first poke it with the pointy side to get the hole started and then flip it around to insert the non-pointy side. You just get a feel for it, being careful not to poke through the top or bottom (but I roll my cookies pretty thick, so this is easy to do)..I use wooden skewers because they're CHEAP (100 for 94c at WalMart) and because the pointy side pokes into my floral foam easily. I never have a problem with the sticks coming out- and I don't use any "glue". They cut really easily with garden style pruners!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 16

I also glue my sticks on afterward with melted chocolate. Even large, heavy cookies are no problem.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 19 May 2007 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 16

Great tips from everyone!! I cannot believe how much I learn from this website. Thank you, thank you, you are all wonderful!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 May 2007 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 16

Great tips, I made a lot of $ from my Easter and Mother's day bouquets. I think I will invest in one sided cookie sheets. I put the sticks in before baking. I will have to try the placement in the diagram.

LittleLinda Posted 19 May 2007 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 16

tyty, I just looked at your bouquets and LOVE them. What did YOU use for the icings?

alysmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysmom09 Posted 19 May 2007 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 16

I also have the airbake sheets and I love them. I place the sticks (skewers) in the cookies after they have baked. Once they cool I place a small drop of RI where the cookie and skewer meet. This gives me double "insurance" that they aren't going anywhere. Fortunately I haven't had a problem. If you look at my pics you can see what I am talking about...the flower cookies you can see the white of the RI. I have even had several people tell me they are difficult to take off the skewer....but they do come off icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:06am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I was wondering how you can get many cookies on the cookie sheet with the sticks. Are you using sheets that have no sides with the sticks sticking out of the edges? Do you think you could turn over a cookie sheet that has sides and bake on the back?

You can use the back of the cookie sheet or buy rimless sheets.

I usually never have a problem with the sticks getting in the way. I have baked cookies with the sticks in and out and I find I bake one less cookie whe the sticks are in. Not a big deal for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%