Fondant Rebellion

Decorating By Daryn Updated 16 May 2007 , 5:27pm by zubia

Daryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daryn Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:40am
post #1 of 20

I am doing my very first fondant cake in my Wilton #3 class this Thursday. From what I have read on this site, Wilton's fondant tastes like poo. I would like to give the cake as a present, so I'd hate for it to taste bad. Not to mention what a shame it is to put all of that work into it knowing in advance that it is going to be yucky. The problem is that I am clueless about fondant texture, elasticity, etc., and am not sure that I would know if I got it right or not.

So, is there a Fondant for Beginners that is easy, tastes good, and can travel to and from class with me that people recommend? (Is MMF an option here?) Or should I just be the good student and use the Wilton poo for the experience of it?
usaribbon.gif

19 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:55am
post #2 of 20

You could always flavor your Wilton fondant. That way you won't think you are being a bad student. icon_wink.gif
I think it's a good texture and workability, it just doesn't taste like some other fondants out there.

Daryn Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #3 of 20

As far as flavorings go, what are some recommendations for if I go that route?

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #4 of 20

Buy some Wilton to play with and get a feel for, then make and use the MMF. Even with flavoring, the Wilton tastes disgusting.

Daryn Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #5 of 20

As far as flavorings go, what are some recommendations for if I go that route?

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:38am
post #6 of 20

You could put vanilla in it, but it will still taste like cr**. I suggest what pp said - get wilton and get a feel for it. Then, I suggest making toba garretts fondant (can be found in the recipes). I use vanilla flavoring. It is yummier than wilton fondant and easier to make (in my experience) than mmf. HTH

Daryn Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:45am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetmidget

Then, I suggest making toba garretts fondant (can be found in the recipes). I use vanilla flavoring. It is yummier than wilton fondant and easier to make (in my experience) than mmf. HTH

I just looked at this recipe, and it looks easy enough. What does the glycerin do? Since it is optional, can it be left out? Where does one buy it?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:23am
post #8 of 20

I think the glycerin makes it pliable and not so hard. I know that you can add it to Royal Icing so that it isn't as hard. I'm not sure though.

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #9 of 20

I have only used fondant twice. I am WAY beginner over here... I've only played with this cake stuff for a month. So, trust me when I say MMF is easy to make and great to work with!!! The only problem I had with it was for making roses... it got to warm and melted together, so it wasn't holding its shape for that detail work.

It did, however, cover my cake beautifully and made other wonderful decorations that weren't as elaborate. I love the stuff! Oh, and my kids love to eat the marshmallow "paper stuff". lol... icon_rolleyes.gif

Daryn Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:50am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndga

I have only used fondant twice. I am WAY beginner over here... I've only played with this cake stuff for a month. So, trust me when I say MMF is easy to make and great to work with!!!

It did, however, cover my cake beautifully and made other wonderful decorations that weren't as elaborate. I love the stuff! lol... icon_rolleyes.gif

Which recipe do you like?

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:50am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetmidget

You could put vanilla in it, but it will still taste like cr**. I suggest what pp said - get wilton and get a feel for it. Then, I suggest making toba garretts fondant (can be found in the recipes). I use vanilla flavoring. It is yummier than wilton fondant and easier to make (in my experience) than mmf. HTH

You gotta wonder if the folks at Wilton ever read anything on this site!! LOL! icon_lol.gif I think it would do them some good if they did. Nothing like a little customer feedback thumbsdown.gif to encourage change thumbs_up.gif .

usaribbon.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:54am
post #12 of 20

I also agree that you should use the Wilton for the class and to get a general feel of fondant. Then you will have a basic idea of what fondant is like and be able to judge the differences between the different types of fondant - and there are several great ones to try (SatinIce; Pettinice; MMF; White Fondant Rolled Fondant; etc.).
You can add candy oils to the fondant for taste but it's more the texture that people don't like - kinda chewy; thick tasting. Personally, I think the Wilton fondant is a great starting point.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #13 of 20

As for flavoring Wilton fondant you have a few options. Use almond extract, which is a more potent extract than most or candy oils work well. But again, that stuff tastes like a petroleum byproduct to begin with, so you will always have that for your base flavor. icon_confused.gif

Marshmallow Fondant (MMF) and Toba's fondant both have pros and cons to them -- read the threads and you will see some of the problems some have had.

I agree with the above statement to buy Wilton fondant and play with it so you have a feel for what real fondant is supposed to feel like. If you have someone near you who has made these fondants before and is used to working with them, then have them show you because they can also show you the tricks to working with them.

If this cake is a gift, you may want to buy some Satin Ice or Pettenice (sp?) fondant which is considerably more pricey, but MUCH better tasting. It's an option anyway. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:04am
post #14 of 20

I've hated fondant for years but a friend inspired me to try MMF. So yesterday I made a batch of Rhonda's Ultimate MMF to use on coopkies today. In place of the vanilla I used butter flavoring and instead of the lemon juice and other flavoring I used Creme Bouquet. My new favorite ingredient! Oh man, is it good! The MMf itself was simple to make.

I don't understand using something you know tastes like poo. I wouldn't waste my cakes or time on the Wilton fondant. Whip up a batch of MMF, flavor it with something you like and know you're making something really good.

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:06am
post #15 of 20

Is your instructor really strict on you buying Wilton products? I asked if I could take my own, my instructor was okay with it. I started out using Pettinice brand and moved on to Satinice. MMF is super easy, but can be temperamental. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:37am
post #16 of 20

I added almond flavoring to my MMF and it tastes great! Also, if you aren't locked into using Wilton for the class, try Pettinice. Its prepackaged like Wiltons, but tastes pretty much like the marshmallow fondant that you can make. Granted, its much more expensive to purchase than a bag of marshmallows....but if you are pressed for time, and are looking for a really forgiving fondant, go for the Pettinice! Good luck in your class!!!

Daryn Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:36pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by neni

Is your instructor really strict on you buying Wilton products? .

No, she is very flexible. She even gave us a flavoring for the class BC to make it more tasty!

Daryn Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

If you have someone near you who has made these fondants before and is used to working with them, then have them show you because they can also show you the tricks to working with them.

I wish that I did, but I am kind of just out here all by my lonesome. My instructor did say that she has tried to make it many times, and it was too difficult. (EEK! icon_eek.gif ) That was my primary reason for asking. Fear. icon_smile.gif

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 20

Don't be afraid. It is sooooo easy. I took the 3rd Wilton class 2 years ago and never touched fondant since because I didn't knwo there were other things out there than Wilton. But, this past winter, I wanted to take the gumpaste class, so I needed to do fondant. Someone here suggested Toba Garretts when I said how much I hated Wilton fondant. Every since, at least half of the cakes I've made have had fondant on them. I don't use the glycerine, so it's not a big deal if you don't. The only problem I have had with it is since hte humidity is up (I live in PA), it has been a little softer. But, it still works great.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 20

well I finished my class 3 last month .I loved wiltons workability.It is a dream to work with ,but taste ...well that you know.Make your MMF with what ever flavor you like and then mix half that and half wilton.I did that and no one complained.Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%