Too Pretty To Cut

Decorating By estherwheat Updated 16 May 2007 , 4:25pm by Sunny77

estherwheat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherwheat Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:29am
post #1 of 17

What do you do when you are a guest at a shower/party/whatever... and the cake just doesn't get cut because it is "too pretty". I made three really cute cakes for a baby shower on Saturday where the new mom just wanted cake as the food. About 8 people made their home made delicious cakes and I did the "centerpiece" cakes. Mine never did get cut because no one wanted to mess them up. I told the hostess that she could take them home because I didn't want that much cake at my house! I thought about going up to them and wacking a slice out so that people would feel OK cutting into them! I was glad that people thought they were cute, but really...it is just cake!
LL

16 replies
nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #2 of 17

That has happened to me a couple of times. Both my Barbie cakes the little girl (repeat customer) refused to cut into it. As well as my Gator cake. I have taken it as a compliment. Great job by the way. The cakes are beautiful.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:35am
post #3 of 17

You pick up a knife, hack the head off of the duck, and the stress is over! They are dying to eat it .... everyone is just afraid to be the first one to cut it! So get it over with for them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:37am
post #4 of 17

My friend at work (when I worked) used to bring in amazing looking cakes and no one ever wanted to cut them. She would get offended that no one wanted to eat her cakes. Finally I told her that it wasn't that they didn't want to eat them, but that no one wanted to be the one to mess it up. After that we decided after a good hour or two, she needed to just cut them up and let the feast begin!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:44am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You pick up a knife, hack the head off of the duck, and the stress is over! They are dying to eat it .... everyone is just afraid to be the first one to cut it! So get it over with for them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I just love a gal who thinks like me! ha ha ha ha ha! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:50am
post #6 of 17

DO EXACTLY AS INDYDEBI SAYS! I'm sick to death of a cake that I've been staring at for hours only to have people not want to cut it! I have actually started doing this myself. I bludgen the crap out of it if it's just for friends or family, but if it's for a customer, I pick up the knife and gently put it to rest. Yes, you will have people cringe and hold their breath, but it has to be done!
It's assisted suicide, not murder. Remember Dr. Kavorkian? This stuff can't be around forever! (No offence to the patients of the Dr.)
amy

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:57am
post #7 of 17

Never had this problem but KIDD is my maiden name so I had to mention that. icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:57am
post #8 of 17

When my friends to that to me, sometimes they ask me to cut the cake. Soooo, I give them the whole show -- I murder it! I grab the knife with two hands and plunge it into the heart of the cake! They laugh and laugh, (little do they know, the cake drove me to it...) icon_twisted.gif

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:00am
post #9 of 17

The girls at my job do that everytime, so I wind up getting the knifw and cutting the first piece. Once its cut they have no problem going to town. I even had an uncle tell me I need to start bringing ugly cakes so he could eat them. I had to tell him thats no longer allowed and I would cut him a piece from now on.

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:35am
post #10 of 17

Whenever I'm a guest at the party, I always am the one to cut the cakes - everybody else is afraid to do it.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:35am
post #11 of 17
Quote:

Totally! You should have seen the horror on the faces of the people at the baby shower, when I started hacking up surfing babies. LOL!
Even though I spend so many hours, I have no attachment to them. I know they are to eat. I get my pictures and people get cake. I think it's kind of fun actually icon_evil.gif

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:22am
post #12 of 17

Ditto what kbochick said. icon_lol.gif It's flattering to hear that compliment, but what is really nice is when people say that the cake tastes as good as it looks.

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

You pick up a knife, hack the head off of the duck, and the stress is over! They are dying to eat it .... everyone is just afraid to be the first one to cut it! So get it over with for them!

LOL!!!!

Your cakes are adorable, btw icon_smile.gif

staceyd1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyd1984 Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 17

i had the same prob with my playboy bunny cake, recipient just wouldnt cut it! she refused to let anyone go anywhere near it with the knife lol above a week later she sent me a slice, shed been told if she didnt cut it it was going in the bin! she felt guilty then and chopped it up! cake was a tad stale really! i hope she realised it was the length of time she kept the cake and not my terrible baking that made it stale!

cakes look great, i think its a compliment when they wont cut them. i love the post of hacking the head off the duck.... made me chuckle!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #15 of 17

I can see why no one wanted to cut the cake! It's gorgeous!

The first time this happened to me was at a school function. I made the 'showpiece' cake while everyone else donated cakes for serving. My cake was supposed to be served last. By the end of the event, my cake was still sitting there intact. I stressed over it until hubby told me, "once they pay for it, they can do whatever they want with it." I felt better then!

It happened again recently when I made a shopping bag (not my avatar) for a boutique's open house celebration. The cake was the centerpiece of the sweet table. When I went in the next day to settle up some paperwork, the cake was still sitting in the middle of the store!

Now, I tell my customers to take a picture, then hack away. Because if you let it sit there for long, it won't be pretty to look at OR eat!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:

YES! Yes. This is what you have to do. It's happened several times at work (they get most of my cakes). Everyone just stands there, even though we've gathered to eat cake.

I grab a knife, and make the first slice. People aren't so afraid after that. Just cut it.

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 17

As long as I can get a photo, let them eat cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%