Florist Foil Question!

Decorating By Charmed Updated 17 May 2007 , 4:39am by BlakesCakes

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
Is Florist foil safe to cover cake boards? Anybody has used it ? What else do you use to cover your cake board?
Thanks,
Katy

7 replies
BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 8

I have never used florist foil. I often use gift wrap paper that matches or goes with the theme of the cake and then cover it with clear plactic wrap. I recently read on this site somewhere that someone suggested covering the gift wrap with clear contact paper, which I think is a great idea. I may have to try that.

I have even put the cake directly on the gift wrap, but the oil in the icing can bleed around the cake and it looks messy. If you are planning on immediately serving it would be ok. I guess you could wait until the last minute and pipe the border.

Good luck!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 8

There was just a post that said contact paper is NOT food safe per a call to the manufactuer. Some people don't care since its not on the paper for too long. Guess use your judgement!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 8

florist foil is not food safe so you'll need to have a barrier between it and the cake. like parchment paper thats the same size as the cake. I asked at a bakery one day what they did becuase I had heard it wasn't food safe and thats what they told me. You can do the same thing with contact paper, just use parchment as your barrier. HTH

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #5 of 8

Florist foil isn't food safe.

I received this email from Country Kitchen SweetArt, about a foil that is intended for cake boards:

Dear XXX:

Thank you for inquiring about our products. We do carry the colored
foils that you are asking about. The foils are used to wrap the boards
under the cake. We do suggest that you place a doily on top of the foil
under the cake to prevent any chemicals from entering the food.

Sincerely,
Lynette

Please do not hesitate to contact us with further questions or
comments.

Country Kitchen SweetArt
[email protected]
4621 Speedway Drive
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
260-482-4835

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:37am
post #6 of 8

I have a few questions about this, as the florist foil is clearly sold to wrap cake boards, and not one cake supply shop I've bought this at has it come up that an additional barrier was needed, nor in any cake classes I've taken:

1. How is florist foil that different from the aluminum foil used every day for food? (The outer layer specifically).

and

2. I really don't think that placing a piece of doily or parchment on top of foil would actually prevent whatever may "leech" from the foil into a cake. The oils from the cake seep right through paper products, and I would guess that once the barrier material is saturated, it's like a two-way street that these chemicals or whatever can seep right through.

It seems to me that they use this as a CYA sort of thing, when a company has not paid for FDA testing or certification.

If someone is good at molecules and can explain why a thin sheet of porous paper makes a difference - which I fully welcome - I'll change. But right now, I'll probably continue to put my cakes right on the foil-covered boards. (I do partake in the eating of most of them).

And also, then, what about those gold scalloped edge cake boards?

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:21am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAndHappy

There was just a post that said contact paper is NOT food safe per a call to the manufactuer....

Here's the thread (I believe she had to write - not email - the company):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-289113.html

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:39am
post #8 of 8

Unlike good 'ol Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil, florist foil (particularly the colored ones) can have lead in it.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%