Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By Regan Updated 16 May 2007 , 3:49am by golfgirl1227

Regan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regan Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 14

I have been learking on this site for awhile now and have become so addicted and have learned SOOOO many helpful things, and have seen so many beautiful cakes! I am just a beginner at decorating and do it mostly for fun just for family & friends but would like to continue to learn and try new things.
I see so many displays with such cute cake boards...what are you covering them with? I know there is the fancy foil but I have seen such colorful ones so my question is can you basically cover the boards in anything?
Thank you.

13 replies
moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 14

I have never personally done this, but I have heard on here that people cover their boards with wrapping paper and then cover that with clear contact paper....those see to be the really cute colorful ones.

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 14

I've also seen them covered in fondant and finished off with a ribbon. But when I tried this it didn't really work for me. Maybe someone will post some tricks!

Regan Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 14

Clear contact paper? Ahh, ok that makes sense, guess I didn't know there was such a thing! (as clear, I have only seen the designed ones then again never had to actually look for it either)
Thank you icon_smile.gif

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 14

i like to use wrapping paper to fit the occasion, then i cover that with plastic wrap.... i use plenty of tape on the bottom so the plastic and paper doesn't come off. if it's for family, (like my parents or sister) i'll let my girls (almost 2 and 4) color the cake board with markers or crayons and then i'll cover that with plastic wrap. family LOVES that! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 14

I use wrapping paper and clear contact paper, wall paper, decorated contact paper, tissue paper with clear contact, fondant, tissue paper with garage sale stickers colored black with a sharpie lol (my photo in my avatar)

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 14

Dani were you having a hard time getting the fondant to stick to the board? There's a simple solution to that, really!! Just make a "solution" of corn syrup and water and lightly brush that onto the board then place your rolled fondant on that and it will stick like superglue.

Regan Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks so much for all the different ideas! thumbs_up.gif

mommacat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacat5 Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 14

I just did a wedding cake and used fabric to cover the board. I wish I'd thought oh contact paper.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 14

Sometimes I use just any paper that will go with the cake and then put a thin piece of plexiglass over the paper. I get the hardware store to cut some to fit my cake boards and stands. I get the really thin kind, it cost the least.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 14

Excellent ideas, everyone!

In the Wilton class, we covered the board in fondant. We spread a thin layer of clear piping gel on the board first to stick the fondant to it.

I really like the plexiglass idea!! To make that always the cake base and then sit it on top of anything with a pretty cover!
Sometimes I don't know what base will look best until the cake is finished, and this totally solves that problem!! Yay!

MmmCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MmmCakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 14

Regan, I am so glad you asked that question. I was wondering the same thing. I'm a newbie too!

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 14

chaptlps,

Thanks you, I will try that next time!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:49am
post #14 of 14

I generally only use fondant. I have used royal icing before. That's too much work, IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%