Nfsc: Bake, Then Freeze Or Freeze, Then Bake??

Decorating By mqguffey Updated 15 May 2007 , 10:47pm by MichelleM77

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 8

I have a TON of cookies to do this week. I made dough this morning, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to prepare:

Roll out my dough between parchment paper, then freeze the sheets, then cut and bake the cookies as needed?

OR

Go ahead and bake the cookies, freeze them, and then pull them out of the freezer and decorate as needed?

I have 2 doz. beachballs due 9 a.m. Friday, 4 doz. baseballs by noon Friday and 3 doz. crawfish cookies by noon Saturday.

I'd love some help with the timeline. Thanks!

7 replies
frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 8

I have baked them in the past then froze them till i needed to decorate them. HTH

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 8

I wouldnt freeze the sheets of frozen dough. it may make it stick and difficult to reroll out after you cut the 1st bactch out. you could cut out the shapes and freeze those if you want the cookies to be fresh baked. Or It wont hurt anything either to freeze them after they are baked, noone has to know the wiser!

cat633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat633 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 8

I do very large orders sometimes. Up to 400. I find it easiest to bake then freeze. then I get the baking part done and all thats left to do is decorate and package.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 8

So, if I bake them, then freeze them, how long should I plan on thawing them before I decorate with royal icing to avoid any condensation problems?

Thank you CC for saving my butt -- again!

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 8

I have always baked then froze till I needed them and no one ever had a bad thing to say!

cat633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat633 Posted 15 May 2007 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 8

If you lay your cookies out in a single layer it doesn't take long to thaw, maybe half an hour or so. I usually get my icings colored and bagged and ready to go. By the time that's done the cookies are thawed.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2007 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 8

I would roll out, cut out the shapes, freeze the shapes, and then bake when needed. I would be afraid the baked and frozen cookies would go stale on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%